“Awesome Hotel ...”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Pros: Style, Rooms, Uniqueness, Location, Restaurant/Bar
Cons: None

One of the best hotels we've stayed in ... and I travel a lot on business and only stay in 4+ star hotels. This rivals many of the boutique hotels in Manhattan ... including the Library Hotel.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone ... plus it's across from the entrance to the Biltmore.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

Reviewed July 29, 2009

Location is great, atmosphere is fun, if a bit on the cheesy side, room was large and very nice, but the service or lack thereof is what is most memorable. The valet area was a disaster - I even saw a bride in her wedding dress carrying in her own bags!! The bartender was smug, unhelpful and rude actually. The front desk was very non-chalent and it seemed a bit of a nuisance for them for me to be checking in. If you are going to pay these prices, service really needs to be improved. It's almost like they haven't had any training!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank KimTO
Reviewed July 26, 2009

The hotel was very nice, but the last time I was in Asheville 2 years ago I stayed at a B&B that wasn't too far away and Iwe liked it much better. I didn't care for all of the stuffed animals and the antlers in the - a little strange. Kind of crepped me out. The hotel is in a very good location and was clean.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EileenMS
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband & I were looking for an alternative to the Grove Park Inn (wonderful but have stayed there numerous times) and we ran across this little gem. Situated at the gate to the Biltmore House and convenient to downtown, this is a perfect location.

From the moment you walk in the door, you know this is a special place. I've seen the reception area described here as "small" and it is not your typical large cavernous area with a row of counter space. It's very intimate with 2 large check-in "desks" and is situated directly across from the fireplace/sitting area and in close proximity to the bar and art gallery.

What we loved: The decor is wonderful!! Even the hallways are decorated with atypical hotel carpeting, wallcoverings and artwork. Drop dead gorgeous light fixtures and chandeliers. Our sleeping room was very special and featured a gorgeous glass shower door, sunken tub and glass water closet door. Not sure where they came up with the idea of the curtains between the sleeping area and the bathroom area but what an interesting touch. We didn't feel like we were in a "hotel" room -- but at the home of a wealthy bohemian old friend. We ate in the Red Stag for dinner one night (in the back, smaller dining room) -- food was FABULOUS (Elk was particularly wonderful). Almost 1 whole wall covered with carrera marble backlit by a red light -- felt like we were in an exclusive hunt club in Germany perhaps. Service was impeccable. The bar area is smaller but lively and fun.

What we were lukewarm about: The bathroom is a bit dark but lighted makeup mirror works well. Our closet was on the small side but the in-room safe was larger than most. We did wish for a mini-bar but loved the television & Bose speakers for CD player (and the CD playing when we arrived was very relaxing and romantic).

We were in the main building so not sure what the other building looks like but can't imagine it isn't equally terrific. Used Valet Parking at least twice a day and they were "johnny-on-the-spot" each time we called.

We are already planning our next trip. If you want the status quo in this price range, go to Grove Park Inn or Inn on the Biltmore -- both are comfortable and lovely. If you want a pleasant surprise, chose the Grand Bohemian.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My wife and I choose this GREAT place for our first visit to Asheville NC and couldn't be more pleased with our stay! The staff was top notch from beginning to end, from the wait staff to the check-in and the valet parking.

The food at the Red Stag was fantastic! Do you're self a favor and order the Fried Green Tomato, I will miss them!

As for location, if you are visiting the Biltmore you couldn't get a better location without staying on the grounds! Right next door and the passes you purchase from Grand Bohemian are good for 2 days vs. 1 day at the welcome center inside Biltmore!

Minor negatives for us where the shower stall could have been a bit bigger and on the side we stayed, towards the McDonald's, where the train tracks and they seem to be used 24 hours a day! I'd say at least 2 or 3 trains a night blowing their horns, but a brief wake up and right back to sleep.

Views from our room, poor, but if you want a good view get out of the room and go to the Biltmore! :)

All in all this will be where we stay whenever we return, no doubt about it! We felt welcome and appreciated the entire stay, and in the end you want to feel that your money was well spent and that the place you stay realizes you choose them and shows the want to earn your business!

Can't go wrong!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NcWill
Reviewed July 24, 2009

What a surprise! Family saw Biltmore for first time and needed a hotel. Check at the DT and Comfort Inn down from Biltmore, nothing was available. Headed down road to find this masterpiece. I have never drove into a parking area to check in that had thick red curtains at the entrance! Staff was amazing, rooms were ultra chic and very relaxing. When we checked in, the price was $10.00 cheaper a room than DT and Comfort Inn and needless to say, much nicer than all. The area around the hotel across the street is like a little village, we ate at the mexican restaurant and then did some shopping. Nice area, felt safe.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while touring Biltmore and other sites in Asheville. We were very impressed. We were concerned about room size due to some comments in Trip Advisor. Our bellman, William, was happy to show us two room options. Ours (room 229) was very spacious. Also, I liked the fact that there are two desks at which guests can sit down while they are being registered. A civilized practice I don't recall encountering at any other hotels, even boutique hotels (only a very occasional bed and breakfast will have this thoughtful touch). This place is on the small to medium size (80 rooms in the main building, 20 in the one across the street). The hotel is new, so everything is immaculate and fresh. The decor is wildly imaginative. It is very dark, very Bavarian hunting lodge. I've read some equivocal comments on Trip Advisor about the decor, but I isn't a tasteful, interesting looking place better than one more slice of chain hotel bland? I wouldn't want my house to look like this, but the decor was just about as elegant as I have encountered (I haven't stayed at the Pierre or a St. Regis, but we regularly stay at Ritz-Carltons and Orient Express hotels; the Grand Bohemian beats them in the decor department hands down.

I really appreciated the fact that the hotel did not nickel and dime us (Biltmore has a tendency to do that). The internet and in-room movies (limited selection) were free and a wireless keyboard connected to a very large flatscreen TV, which made using the internet fun. I could have left my laptop at home. You had the option of parking at Biltmore Village and saving $15.00 per night which we did. It was a two minute walk to park in an upscale shopping area across the street. A printer in the business center was available at no charge.

If you are visiting Biltmore, you cannot find a more convenient location. In all honesty, the Grand Bohemian is just as close as the Inn at Biltmore Estate. A room at the Grand Bohemian can be had for 25-45% less than the Inn at Biltmore. And at the Grand Bohemian, you can have breakfast (or lunch or dinner) at the Corner Kitchen down the street. We thought Corner Kitchen was pricey for dinner, but breakfast was great and a little cheaper than the hotel. Staying at the Grand Bohemian encourages you to sample the town a bit more. I think we would not have done so if we stayed on the Biltmore Estate grounds. If you want to save a few bucks, there is a Hardees and a MacDonald's across the street. However, their presence does not detract from the upscale neighborhood one bit since they are housed in buildings which blend perfectly with the surrounding area. Asheville is a shining example of zoning and land use planning.

The staff at the Grand Bohemian were virtually all very friendly and very professional. For example, the hostess was happy to pour us a couple of cups of coffee when I came down very early after working out. Our waitress at the bar was terrific. We had just a snack at dinner with our drinks since we had some large lunches while we were touring. She was happy to have our shared plate divided and delivered on two plates. She was also happy to serve us at a comfortable sofa in the lobby which we preferred to sitting at the bar. At breakfast, our waiter thoughtfully substituted a black napkin (usually used at dinner) because my wife was wearing black pants and he was concerned that the white napkin used at breakfast might shed on her black slacks. I can't remember a more thoughtful gesture at another hotel at any price.

Our bed was among the most comfortable I have slept in at a hotel.

The health club is small, but met our needs. We work out regularly, but are not the triathlete/.05% body fat types. Again, no nickel and diming. The treadmills and elypticals had TV's. Headphones were available at no charge and were cleaned daily.

The downsides? The hotel has no outdoor spaces. You are at the bottom of a hill leading up to Biltmore, so there is no view of the mountains as at the Inn at Biltmore. All of the staff appear to be trying very hard (the answer to every question is a Ritz-Carltonesque "It will be my pleasure.", but our bellman this morning was not quite sure how to load our bags in the trunk (and we did not carry that much luggage). We stayed on the second floor. We did not hear any traffic, but the train is closeby, and I heard the whistle on our first night. It is a soothing sound, but it did wake me up. If you are a light sleeper, you might ask for a higher floor, but be aware that there are only four of them. Newspapers are not delivered to the room, but are available downstairs at no charge. However, these folks see the future; the flatscreen has several digital news sources you can click on from the opening screen. This is the wave of the future.

I consider myself a very tough hotel critic, and I really liked this place. We got a fantastic government rate, but even the best available rate ($159) beat the Inn at Biltmore ($199 during the week). I would heartily recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple