“Great Chic Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Chic Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

What a surprise! Family saw Biltmore for first time and needed a hotel. Check at the DT and Comfort Inn down from Biltmore, nothing was available. Headed down road to find this masterpiece. I have never drove into a parking area to check in that had thick red curtains at the entrance! Staff was amazing, rooms were ultra chic and very relaxing. When we checked in, the price was $10.00 cheaper a room than DT and Comfort Inn and needless to say, much nicer than all. The area around the hotel across the street is like a little village, we ate at the mexican restaurant and then did some shopping. Nice area, felt safe.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Spotsylvania, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while touring Biltmore and other sites in Asheville. We were very impressed. We were concerned about room size due to some comments in Trip Advisor. Our bellman, William, was happy to show us two room options. Ours (room 229) was very spacious. Also, I liked the fact that there are two desks at which guests can sit down while they are being registered. A civilized practice I don't recall encountering at any other hotels, even boutique hotels (only a very occasional bed and breakfast will have this thoughtful touch). This place is on the small to medium size (80 rooms in the main building, 20 in the one across the street). The hotel is new, so everything is immaculate and fresh. The decor is wildly imaginative. It is very dark, very Bavarian hunting lodge. I've read some equivocal comments on Trip Advisor about the decor, but I isn't a tasteful, interesting looking place better than one more slice of chain hotel bland? I wouldn't want my house to look like this, but the decor was just about as elegant as I have encountered (I haven't stayed at the Pierre or a St. Regis, but we regularly stay at Ritz-Carltons and Orient Express hotels; the Grand Bohemian beats them in the decor department hands down.

I really appreciated the fact that the hotel did not nickel and dime us (Biltmore has a tendency to do that). The internet and in-room movies (limited selection) were free and a wireless keyboard connected to a very large flatscreen TV, which made using the internet fun. I could have left my laptop at home. You had the option of parking at Biltmore Village and saving $15.00 per night which we did. It was a two minute walk to park in an upscale shopping area across the street. A printer in the business center was available at no charge.

If you are visiting Biltmore, you cannot find a more convenient location. In all honesty, the Grand Bohemian is just as close as the Inn at Biltmore Estate. A room at the Grand Bohemian can be had for 25-45% less than the Inn at Biltmore. And at the Grand Bohemian, you can have breakfast (or lunch or dinner) at the Corner Kitchen down the street. We thought Corner Kitchen was pricey for dinner, but breakfast was great and a little cheaper than the hotel. Staying at the Grand Bohemian encourages you to sample the town a bit more. I think we would not have done so if we stayed on the Biltmore Estate grounds. If you want to save a few bucks, there is a Hardees and a MacDonald's across the street. However, their presence does not detract from the upscale neighborhood one bit since they are housed in buildings which blend perfectly with the surrounding area. Asheville is a shining example of zoning and land use planning.

The staff at the Grand Bohemian were virtually all very friendly and very professional. For example, the hostess was happy to pour us a couple of cups of coffee when I came down very early after working out. Our waitress at the bar was terrific. We had just a snack at dinner with our drinks since we had some large lunches while we were touring. She was happy to have our shared plate divided and delivered on two plates. She was also happy to serve us at a comfortable sofa in the lobby which we preferred to sitting at the bar. At breakfast, our waiter thoughtfully substituted a black napkin (usually used at dinner) because my wife was wearing black pants and he was concerned that the white napkin used at breakfast might shed on her black slacks. I can't remember a more thoughtful gesture at another hotel at any price.

Our bed was among the most comfortable I have slept in at a hotel.

The health club is small, but met our needs. We work out regularly, but are not the triathlete/.05% body fat types. Again, no nickel and diming. The treadmills and elypticals had TV's. Headphones were available at no charge and were cleaned daily.

The downsides? The hotel has no outdoor spaces. You are at the bottom of a hill leading up to Biltmore, so there is no view of the mountains as at the Inn at Biltmore. All of the staff appear to be trying very hard (the answer to every question is a Ritz-Carltonesque "It will be my pleasure.", but our bellman this morning was not quite sure how to load our bags in the trunk (and we did not carry that much luggage). We stayed on the second floor. We did not hear any traffic, but the train is closeby, and I heard the whistle on our first night. It is a soothing sound, but it did wake me up. If you are a light sleeper, you might ask for a higher floor, but be aware that there are only four of them. Newspapers are not delivered to the room, but are available downstairs at no charge. However, these folks see the future; the flatscreen has several digital news sources you can click on from the opening screen. This is the wave of the future.

I consider myself a very tough hotel critic, and I really liked this place. We got a fantastic government rate, but even the best available rate ($159) beat the Inn at Biltmore ($199 during the week). I would heartily recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stropertre
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

Just completing a three night stay here, and it's a very cool looking place. But the attention to style is about all they've put into it! Service has been very lacking. Unorganized valet (we had to wait in our car last night for about 10 minutes until a valet showed up)... And I can't believe we're in a one-bedroom suite and they don't have a fridge! I called and they said it would be an additional 15 bucks per night!!! Decent fitness room, but if you're singing the praises of the fitness room, but not your own room, something is amiss. Given the amount of the suite, you'd have thought that they could at least throw in a mini-bar. Overall, cool space, but disappointing. Style is great, but it needs to meet your basic needs first...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dqcrazy
westchester,ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Recently returned from this funky boutique hotel, and would highly recommend it to fellow travelers. The service was excellent from the front desk to the car valets. The room was spacious, decorated in Bavarian lodge chic, with a comfortable bed and equipt with all the modern conviences. Our only complaint was the noisy air-conditioner, my husband equated it to a jet engine.
The hotel is located by the entrance of the Biltmore estate, right in the middle of Biltmore village allowing one to walk to restaurants and shopping. It is a short drive to downtown Asheville.

1 Thank fiftyisnifty59
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

We booked the hotel for a quick one night stay while picking up a camper in the area. Familiar with Kessler properties, we thought this would be perfect. But I have to say, on this one, they missed the mark. First of all, the outside is extremely unimpressive, so much so I kept telling my husband it couldn't be it! Secondly there is absolutely no signage to get into the place, we had to drive around the block. When you walk in the lobby is so small, you have to practically walk through folks having cocktails to get to the front desk. The room was large but the bath was funky. There were pass through doors over the tub so you could look through to the bath and with the glass door on the toilet room, well you kind of lost all sense of privacy. The ironing board was for so small I had to get on my knees to use it. It's like they skimped on weird stuff. And no mini bar, but they did have a coffee maker, which is great and instant wireless internet, another super plus.
Other Kessler properties showcase wonderful art and whimsical chandeliers, mirrors etc. They try to do that here but with the "lodge" motif it just doesn't work. Overall it is creepy. Antlers and head bust statues of Cicero?
We only had one meal, breakfast, which was okay. My biggest complaint was the restaurant has an open kitchen and the staff was talking so loudly, we felt like they were sitting at our table.
If you like fake Disney thematic hotels, you like this place. We didn't and will probably go back to the Grove Park next time.

1 Thank sanyadee
Carrboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

The Grand Bohemian is a little bit of an odd hotel, but that makes it charming. We prefer modern design and did not want to stay in a flowery b&b, and so we booked the Grand Bohemian. It is a funny mix of hunting lodge, modern hotel, and Disney world - the room itself was beautiful although I could have skipped the many antlers and gilded mirror. The hallways seemed slightly creepy to me - dark with antlers and lots of velvet curtains. The lobby has things like a stuffed boar wearing a hat and castle doors - pretty funny. But the main point is that our Junior suite was lovely - comfortable bed, large l-shape room with separate seating area, huge beautiful bathroom. There a few things that aren't that functional -- e.g., the doors separating the bathtub from the room open into the bathroom, meaning you bump your head on them if you have them open while bathing. The closet was tiny, which was a bit odd given how spacious the suite was. It wasn't clear how to get the TV on (beautiful plasma screens; press the channel button to switch to TV). And the jacuzzi tub had a habit of turning on automatically - we'd be relaxing and then it would sound like a vacuum cleaner and the jets had turned on. We called the front desk about this, and they sent "engineering" while we were out to dinner, but it still did it once more the next day. Just odd. One other thing that is a little strange: all the parking is valet parking. It cost $15 a night plus tips, and it was prompt service so we didn't mind, but I would hope they had a lot of valets working during busy times (the hotel seemed pretty empty when we were there). We also really liked the hotel bar; it was great that they have a small menu available even in the mid-afternoon when many restaurants are shut (the grilled shrimp with smoked tomato sauce were amazing). There was no extra charge for the internet. Overall the service was excellent and we very much enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank NCreviewer
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

The hotel is a sister property of the Mansion on Forsyth Park so I knew it would be plush and comfortable. I loved how although the property is brand new, it felt like an extension of the Biltmore with its lodge decor, but it still manages to be totally upscale and chic at the same time. The rooms are outstanding to say the least with flat screen TVs with internet access right from the remote. You can also connect to the wireless internet if you have a laptop free of charge, which was nice and unexpected.

Be aware, however, that if you book a King room they are in a separate building across the street. At the time I checked in, it was rush hour and the thought of schlepping three bags down a flight of brick steps, across the busy street in 100 degree heat and up another set of brick stairs was daunting. I asked for a room in the main building and got two Queen beds instead and it was much better being a quick elevator ride right to the valet stand and to the restaurant. And as it turns out, the Red Stag restaurant in the hotel is to die for.

In addition, unlike most hotels, there is not a collection of still-in-the-theatre and new to DVD movies to purchase. The only onDemand movies available were what is on Starz and the selection wasn't that great.

Also be advised that if you get the notion to have a soda in your room after a long exhausting day, there are no vending machines or soda machines in the hotel. You can get ice, but the only beverages available outside the restaurant or room service is a $5 bottle of water or a bottle of wine in the room. I was a little surprised that the other Kessler hotels I've stayed at have a mini-bar in the room, however, this hotel does not, nor does it have a fridge.

And finally, there is not a pool, which a lot of travelers like.

If you want a less stuffy alternative to the Inn at Biltmore Estate, this is it. And it's the only 4* hotel on Priceline in the Asheville area, so happy bidding! Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo