“Unexpected surprise”

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Loganville
“Unexpected surprise”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

For our 42nd wedding anniversary, my husband and I returned to Asheville to celebrate for several days last week. Since our favorite hotel had been bought out by a conglomerate, we decided to try the Grand Bohemian and we were delighted by the service, location, and 'yes' even the Bavarian décor. As long time business travelers, we always look for smaller, unique places to stay when on vacation. This property certainly met that goal with original antiques and original oil paintings throughout. However, what is most important is the uniform quality and professionalism of the staff. The building may be new, but the employees appear to have effectively worked together for decades and they genuinely appear to like interacting with the customers and each other. During the time we were there, the hotel hosted a number of engagement and wedding parties. In many hotels this would have brought regular service to halt, but this was not the case. Everyone had a good time. Finally, the senior management made an excellent decision when they purchased the property for this hotel. You can get on the interstate easily, or get downtown in a few minutes. If you don't want to drive somewhere for a meal or shopping, the Biltmore village offers shops and restaurants within easy walking distance.

On the basis of this first visit, we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Be certain to ask for any special features you might require. The hotel will be able to accommodate...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marlena W
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Congratulation on your 42nd wedding anniversary! Thank you for celebrating your special occasion with us and thanks for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent experience. I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff. You are correct in saying the staff genuinely likes interacting with customers and each other. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Asheville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I must say I was impressed with the rooms staff grounds had breakfast and dinner in the dinning room very nice assertive staff .
I would return most definitely. The are work throughout the hotel beautiful. Very relaxing just to sit and take all of it in.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

When visiting a uniquely diverse, almost mystical destination such as Asheville, what better way to enhance your visit than to stay at a truly fascinating hotel such as the Grand Bohemian?

Located right outside the entrance gate to the Biltmore Estate, I stepped inside and could not help but imagine that I was a guest at a grand Hunting Lodge of one of the wealthy eccentric Vanderbilts. The décor is an uncommon mix of old Western cowboy paintings and ancient Roman busts. I absolutely loved being transported far away from my every day world.

I stayed for 2 nights in room 218 with 2 queen beds that were so comfortable that I melted into such a beautiful sleep each night. The bathroom was so magnificent that I’m not even sure I can describe it to do it justice. The shower had a soothing rainfall showerhead with etched glass doors. Then there was the enormous separate bathtub that was pure luxury. You can request samples of bath salts and bubble bath which were really elegant.

Our room had a surprising little balcony with two chairs and a table. We enjoyed sitting outside and feeling the cool evening breezes. We also carried our coffee out there in the morning. There is a little one cup coffee brewer in the room with Starbucks coffee. Or you can hop downstairs and get a cup in the lobby. Or if you are really pampering yourself, you can order room service, which was delicious. I had orange scented waffles with fruit compote, yogurt and fresh fruit with granola, and a side of bacon. All so heavenly that I ordered it both mornings!

I also enjoyed the lush, comfy robes in the room. The TV was great and allowed us to use it as a computer to look up dining options.

We enjoyed an evening of spa treatments and I must say that you should as well. My sister had pulled a muscle in her back and received an excellent deep tissue massage. I treated myself to a facial. The spa receptionist was so wonderful in helping us choose between all the luscious items on the spa menu. Both women who performed our treatments were outstanding.

We had a drink at the Red Stag bar and appreciated the piano music and the mellow atmosphere. We did not eat in the restaurant but were fascinated by the lighted menus. What a great idea.

The parking is valet for $18 a day. Our vehicle was always retrieved quickly and with a friendly smile.

I travel to Asheville frequently and I have to say that this is now my top recommendation for lodging. The Grand Bohemian sets the stage for a distinctive experience in a delightful town. You can walk to so many of the outstanding restaurants and shops in the Biltmore Village.

Turn your visit to Asheville into a one of a kind memory.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank n2exploring
charlotte, nc
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I visited on June 13. Have stayed here many times and usually have a good experience. For the $300 fare you should. This time we could get no one to answer the Guest Express line in four attempts, so I went to the front desk at 5 p.m. to request that smaller pillows be delivered to our room as we were leaving. Returned at 10:15 p.m. to find our request had been ignored. Again tried the Guest Express. No answer. Went to the front desk to repeat my request. 15 minutes later 2 standard (large) pillows were delivered. Pillow cases were wet. This time we were Out of Luck.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jp1040
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your repeat business. On behalf of the entire staff, we greatly appreciate your loyalty and feedback. As you would expect, we are disappointed that your recent experience was less than what you experienced on previous visits. Please accept our sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced with your guest request item. This lack of service is certainly unacceptable and we can assure you the necessary corrective measures have already been taken. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Bohemian Hotel on your next visit to Asheville and can assure you that we will show improvement in this area and regain your trust. If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My son and I stayed in December (little behind in reviews) but we had a great stay and
Was across the street from the gates to the Biltmore. We had been to the Biltmore in the spring
And stayed downtown Asheville which is also very nice. But for the candlelight tour and the times thought it would be better to be closer and not the cost of Biltmore hotels. It was perfect location, great customer service and I will say the best hotel restaurant I have experienced in a long time.
Granted the Red Stag restaurant is not exactly kid friendly but they accommodated me and my son. Excellent food and service. The lobby in extremely inviting at this time of year and my son
Loved the theme as did I ...it is like a European hunting lodge great over holidays and decorated
Very tastefully for Christmas. Room was amazing and relaxing. Only few downsides is we stayed in building across the street from the main building so you had to cross the street with bags. And the tv system you could have been given tips to get it started..it was a little complicated at first.
Other than that perfect! Oh and for people who have never been to Biltmore it is close to gates but
You cannot walk. It is 2 plus miles if not more to the parking lot then you get a bus to the house. So that is not an option. Since I was reading reviews people were disappointed about walking... everything is far apart you need a car in the estate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 5025emy
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Perfect for a romantic get away. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries deliverd to you room on arrival will make you stay extra special. Get a suite with the jacuzzi tub. A real mans man will be comfortable in this hotel. Our room had a deer antler chandelier and light fixtures. It was very nicely decorated with beautiful artwork throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and quiet. Sign up for Kessler email notices if you want a special packa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ginny G
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is not the Super Eight motel. So if your looking for cheap lodging and cheap in house dining, this place is not for you,
The Grand Bohemia is first class. The staff and their service was first class. Our room 222, second floor with walk out balcony was spotless. Big bath with divided and opaque glass doored commode and shower. A whirlpool tub big enough for 2 with double halfwall doors next to it that could be opened to see the large flat screen TV from the tub.
King memory foam bed that was just right. Fluffy robes in the closet.
In house restaurant pricey but a great dining experience and great food and OMG desserts ! Comfortable seating. Conversation friendly. World class, award winning Chef.
Public area décor is Bavarian hunting lodge. Very Biltmore. Lots of really great art. Take some time to wander around and really enjoy it.
Short walking distance to lots of unique shops and high end stores, and the gateway to Biltmore is across the street.
My only complaint, at these lodging rates there should not be an extra $18 charge to park in their basement parking lot.
If your not pinching pennies, this is a beautiful place to stay. Romantic even.

Room Tip: This is in a business area, albeit a very nice one, so there is no floor or side of the building tha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple