“Rebutting the crazy negative reviews.”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I seriously laughed hysterically at the review that there should have been a picture of Sally fields or Tim Tebow, instead of Robert e lee in the men's restroom. This place is a themed hotel. It represents the luxurious hunting lodge that I am sure exisisted a hundred years ago. Incredible representation of stone work of local quarries. A high end feel at a reasonable price. This place stands out. I am a frequent Marriott groupie. I stay in hotels for work over 120 nights a year. I'm required to stay where the "company" books. But on my own time "I" pick my spot. Marriott is my preferred. I chose the "signature" hotel here in Asheville for a special occasion. I recognise value when I see it. Is this place a little more expensive than a courtyard? Sure. Is it worth the "little" extra? Absolutely. Every place we went in the whole city we asked the locals.... Where would you recommend for a great dinner for a special occasion. Every single person said. "the red stag" @ the bohemian. I travel internationally for business for a living. I've spent over 2000 nights overseas in the last 23 years. I know when there is a gem in our midst. The staff has been fantastic. Have a drink by the central fireplace @ night. Asheville has been on my bucket list of places to visit for many years. And the bohemian has enhansed my overall experience.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank utahfa

Reviewed October 27, 2013

After reading so many reviews mentioning the negatives of staying in the Manor house which is across the street from the main hotel building, I felt compelled to write a review about our recent experience. Upon arrival, we valet parked and found the check in area. Not really clear that this is check in as it was a desk with chairs, not the typical hotel lobby. The decor is filled with hunting lodge items and stuffed creatures, antlers, etc. Rustic but interesting. As we expressed our concerns to the young lady who checked us in, she assured us we would enjoy the room across the street. We had a bellman take our bags to the room, so that was not an issue. The street is busy and the stoplight takes quite a while to change, but once we got into the building, it was quiet, private and pleasant. The room was elegant and a good size. There was a curtain separating the tub and bedroom, which was not too strange since I've stayed at other hotels with this set up but with shutters rather than a curtain. Bathtub was large and deep, but not a jacuzzi, which was odd given the upscale nature of the room. The shower and toilet were behind a glass door each. The entire bathroom was entered through another set of heavy curtains. The lack of privacy this arrangement creates is slightly uncomfortable although not a deal breaker. Another complaint mentioned by other reviewers is train whistle noise. I believe that no matter what room you are in, the train whistle will be heard. Tracks are literally a block away from the hotel. Another weird thing was no fridge in the room. We wanted to have a few snacks and wine in the room but no fridge.

1  Thank mussarim
Reviewed October 27, 2013

One night stop after leaving the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Arrived earlier than normal check in because our park day had been rained off, but the desk clerk took this in his stride and upgraded us to a suite. Very comfortable all round, including state of the art WiFi through the TV. Ideally located for Biltmore next day. And a very good evening meal in the red Stag.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMCRH
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Grand Bohemian is located right across the street from the entrance to the Biltmore Estate. It is centered in the area called Biltmore Village which makes it extremely accessible (walking distance) to a variety of restaurants and shops. Downtown Asheville is only 10 minutes away. This hotel is fantastic jewelry-box, it has so many layers, colors, textures, art, etc. They offer coffee, snacks and body products in the lobby that is filled with a huge fireplace open on on all four sides, carved out of rock and a huge wooden mantel. The hallways and elevators are like works of art, covered in paintings, ornate golden frames and sculptures. The rooms are beautiful and soothing, again filled with textures from the crushed velvet pillows, the buttery leather chairs, the knubbly comforter, a fuzzy throw and a bathroom that glows from multiple, glittering light sources. The tub is deep enough to drown in and has shutters that open to the bedroom which I found enchanting. They provide lined bathrobes and plenty of plush towels. The Red Stag Restaurant downstairs is sexy and romantic and serves wonderul dinner.

2  Thank Kimberlyep
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Asheville and did not realize that this hotel was not right in the center of town...but that is what made it great! IT is in Biltmore village which is a wonderful little area with shops and restaurants that were great. The hotel was really very nice and very accommodating with all of our needs. We look forward to going back and staying at the Grand Bohemian, and the restaurant was superb!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is the best escape that we have had in a long time! We loved the Huntsman's Lodge feel to the hotel. It so fit the Biltmore area. Everything was over the top perfect...the staff, the restaurant, the bar, the sleep quality, and the location. This is a treat that you should reward yourself with. Next visit we are toying to the spa!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I travel quite a bit and when I travel for pleasure, my wife claims that I am too demanding. We stayed at the Hotel for several nights and I was wonderfully surprised as I had read several recent reviews that were not very flattering. The comments claimed the staff was uninformed, not friendly, and the noise was unbearable. After our recent stay I am so glad we went ahead and stayed as I would have missed a great experience! The front desk staff were more than friendly, they were exceptional and made every effort to make our stay enjoyable. The valet staff welcomed us and made awesome recommendations on where to eat and gave precise directions. The Red Stag Resturant food and service was excellent. The spa treatment was splendid and we actually indulged and had massages both nights. As for the noise, we did hear sirens on both nights, but I can't blame the hotel for that. Earlier reviews claimed that the rooms that faced McDonald's or Hardee's were noisier and I can't comment as our room faced the Manor House and noise was not an issue. Mr. Luckett keep up the good work, we will be back!! M. McLellan

Room Tip: Our room was in the Main House facing the Manor House and was not a corner room. Get a room with a...