“Wonderful place to stay.”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Dayton, Ohio
“Wonderful place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have stayed here twice so far. The first time I stayed in the women's dorm, and the next time I opted to try a private room. Both were wonderful. Everything about the place has a worn-in, well-loved feeling. The staff was was very helpful and personable. There are several restaurants within very easy walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sara W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I could have stayed at a hotel, but I found this hostel through an internet search, and I am CERTAINLY glad I did!
Everyone is super-friendly and helpful, it was a lot cheaper than a hotel, and is more of a family atmosphere.
Plus, there were great eats and drinks right across the street, AND private rooms available.
In addition, there is a GORGEOUS trail along the river, which was a beautiful place for a bike ride! Could not have been more perfect.

I will DEFINITELY stay here again next trip! Thank you Bonpaul and Sharkys!

Keith from Chicago

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank keith l
Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's for one night and reserved a private room. Hostel was eclectic, lots of reading material and interesting things to look at...I mean, there's a big suit of armor in the "living" room. How cool is that? It's also in a fantastic location. There's a white board that lists things to do each night of the week, and there is info for local dining/shops/etc. All the travelers I came across there were easy going, respectful, and laid back. Nathan was very helpful and really nice. I was looking for a funky hat to wear to my friend's wedding and when I couldn't find one (the shops were closed at the time) Nathan offered to let me borrow the manager's "Mashed Potatoes" cap which was a HUGE hit. If you see it hanging in the hallway you'll know it's famous now. So I have been staying in business class hotels for the past 7 years and I thought I might be totally out of my element, but I got back late after a wedding/reception/concert and it was so homey and quiet...I went to my room, locked the door and curled up in the bed under the Star Wars Naboo Starfighter comforter (theirs). It was like staying at a friend's place. So yeah, definitely recommend. I didn't eat in the kitchen because...well...I have toddlers now and since I have to clean up after them all the time I took a break from cleaning while on vacation. Recommend to anyone who wants a low-key, laid back, Asheville-feel stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TimbosCorner
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is my third time visiting Asheville and all three times I have stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel. It has a very home like atmosphere, super comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful.The location is great, West Asheville is a lot quieter than Downtown, but the hostel is within walking distance to a great natural foods store, a few pubs to grab food and drinks, and a great ice cream place called The Hop. The hostel itself has two private rooms, one coed dorm and one female only dorm. The also have the option to camp in the back yard near the garden. They have a cute porch to hang out on and a small garden and hot tub outback. The only downside I would say to the place is the lack of laundry facilities inside. However, I definitely recommend it to others, and I look forward to my next visit to Asheville so I can stay at Bon Paul and Sharky's again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michellephant
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had a great time at Ban Paul and Sharky's!!! Zach and Nathan were great to talk with and helpful for advice about places to see around the area. The house they have is a great space. The first floor is spacious and has room for people to lounge and organize them selves for the day. Free WiFi. Every morning I would have a banana with peanut butter and toast which I liked better than any continental breakfast I have had, plus I could wake up late in the morning and still be able to grab breakfast food
The hostel is in a fun area with a few bars, nice restaurants, and a great juice bar (owners are very nice).
The Hostel is a 20 minute bike ride from Downtown Asheville.

In general I would recommend staying here. Hostels are a great place to stay for a low price and offer an opportunity to get to know other travelers. This hostel is clean and has a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 6 person room with bunk beds. The room was good, the mattress on the bed was a little...