“Feels like home”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is my third time visiting Asheville and all three times I have stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel. It has a very home like atmosphere, super comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful.The location is great, West Asheville is a lot quieter than Downtown, but the hostel is within walking distance to a great natural foods store, a few pubs to grab food and drinks, and a great ice cream place called The Hop. The hostel itself has two private rooms, one coed dorm and one female only dorm. The also have the option to camp in the back yard near the garden. They have a cute porch to hang out on and a small garden and hot tub outback. The only downside I would say to the place is the lack of laundry facilities inside. However, I definitely recommend it to others, and I look forward to my next visit to Asheville so I can stay at Bon Paul and Sharky's again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michellephant

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had a great time at Ban Paul and Sharky's!!! Zach and Nathan were great to talk with and helpful for advice about places to see around the area. The house they have is a great space. The first floor is spacious and has room for people to lounge and organize them selves for the day. Free WiFi. Every morning I would have a banana with peanut butter and toast which I liked better than any continental breakfast I have had, plus I could wake up late in the morning and still be able to grab breakfast food
The hostel is in a fun area with a few bars, nice restaurants, and a great juice bar (owners are very nice).
The Hostel is a 20 minute bike ride from Downtown Asheville.

In general I would recommend staying here. Hostels are a great place to stay for a low price and offer an opportunity to get to know other travelers. This hostel is clean and has a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 6 person room with bunk beds. The room was good, the mattress on the bed was a little...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Charles A
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We loved staying here. Met Several folks from around the world. We reserved an individual room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

If this end of Asheville was any more laid back it would slide down the hill. Comfortable stay, friendly guests to chat with on the porch. Good beer taverns and whole foods in walking distance. I stayed in the dorm. Living in the south, the shabby mattresses and furniture didn't bother me, but it might be too much for some folk. LBGT friendly and they don't try to hide it. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tenkism
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed in cottage which was comfortable and charming. Appreciated the cot so we could spread out a little. Kitchen and bathroom were clean. Throughly enjoyed sleeping with the windows open to the mountain air and the quiet. Loved the neighborhood and the proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiking trails.

Room Tip: Choose the cottage
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed in the cottage which was great! There is a bathroom, kitchenette, pub style table and chairs and a DOUBLE bed. They happily brought in a twin cot so that we would be more comfortable. There is no A/C in the cottage (not sure about the rest of the house) so consider this if staying in the summer. We were comfortable after dark with windows open. Bathroom was pretty clean but the bedspread needs to be updated and the towels were gross so bring your own. We thought there was breakfast included but were not told about it (we forgot to ask while someone was at the desk) and we didn't see any breakfast out in the morning. This may have just been a communication error though. They DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS so plan accordingly. This info is nowhere to be found on their website or hostelworld nor on the confirmation page you print at time of booking. It is listed on the bottom of the email they send you the day before your stay, but we didn't get this before our stay which caused a little confusion. The hostel is located in a cool neighborhood in West Asheville and is a perfect location if you're hiking SW of the city. We really liked West End Bakery which is within walking distance.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
bonpaul_and_sharkys, Manager at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Hello there,
Thanks for your review. It's always helpful to know what our guests think while they are with us, and after they've had time to reflect on their experience afterwards. I'm sorry to hear that your needs weren't fully met. I'd like to address some of the questions/issues raised:

-the cottage does not have A/C, but we rarely need it in the NC mountains. We do have plenty of fans. The Main House does have A/C for the summer days.

-In effort to be environmentally conscious, our house laundry is hung to dry. This can make our towels a bit less snuggly, but we believe it's worth it. But I will add softener to the soap and hope for the best.

-there is a small breakfast of bananas, toast, jam and pb, and hard-boiled eggs set out in the Main House dining room every morning, which guests may help themselves to. Tea or coffee may be brewed anytime.

-we accept cash or check at this time. This is printed in the confirmation email that is sent automatically at the time of online booking.

-yes, guests may get a clean, albeit "outdated" blanket or sheet. The Miss Piggy sheet is my favorite, followed by the Power Rangers towel. This makes us the quirky and cozy HOSTEL that we are. We are a hostel after all.

Thanks for your feedback!
Happy Travels

Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Hostel was nice and the staff were helpful. We had a private room upstairs. The hostel is in an old house in walking distance to some neat restaurants and shops which was a plus. It was a little small for me though, and this may just be personal preference. We had a private room which was nice, but it felt like a lot of people in the house for the space. I have stayed at several hostels and I think I prefer the larger ones. If this doesn't bother you, than you would probably enjoy it here. I don't know if they have air conditioning or not, but it was not on when we were there and we had the windows open and it was still a bit hot in our room at night. The mattress was very, very soft--not in a good way.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to hear that you were too warm in your room. We do have a/c running in the summer, but not typically in the cooler early spring. We keep fans in every room, and are glad to bring more in per guest's request.
Guests should know that we are busiest in the spring, summer and fall, especially at weekends. We get interesting travelers from all over the world.
Perhaps a better option, should you choose to return, could be our private cottage behind the main house. It has it's own kitchenette and private bathroom and a really nice front porch.
Thanks again and happy travels!