“Such a fun place! C”

Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Such a fun place! C”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

I just went on a road trip through several southern states with several friends and Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel was by far our favorite hostel! The staff (and other hostellers) were so friendly and warm, and the place was in a great location. I walked to Sunpoint restaurant for lunch, the Haywood farmer's market, did my laundry, and went to several great thrift stores and cafes in the area.

The place has a great front porch (with comfortable seating and fun people watching), lovely back porch and backyard (where you can camp, cheaper!) with a small garden and free parking. They have a well equipped (pots, pans, etc) and clean kitchen that they encourage you to use. Many yummy foods were baked while I was there. Sleeping was comfortable and quiet - though plenty of people hung out till all hours of the night downstairs, the rooms were peaceful and quiet.

Come here! You'll meet great people and you'll get to know a wonderful side of Asheville.

Room Tip: Call ahead!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

The staff are fantastic. The location is great, the hostel is comfortable & the price is right. There is an awsome deck with a hot tub to help relax & meet other guests after a day of hiking the mountain trails, There are also pubs n cafes a stones throw down the road. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I loved this place! It felt more like a home than a hostel! Dan the manager was great, friendly and good fun. I liked that he spent time mixing and chatting with people staying at the hostel. Katie was nice too. She gave me a lift downtown as she was heading there. I met some great travellers here. The option of free pasta dinner each night was great. You have to cook it yourself but it's a nice way to mix and spend time with fellow travellers at the hostel. The hostel offers lots of free stuff, breakfast, pizza and Internet. The back terrace has a hot tub (could do with a light outside here) and the front has a terrace where you can sit and relax on a sofa or swinging bench. The dorms are clean, lockers are not the best in the mixed dorm but I never felt this was an issue as it was such a small friendly place. Hostel is located very close by to bars and a fantastic deli that sells the best sandwiches. Downtown is not far also. I had planned to stay for 2 nights but stayed for 4. I would have stayed longer if I wasn't on such a time scale. I was sad to leave! I would highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
kcomst
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

The good: good company, other travelers were quiet and considerate. Clean sheets, nice location, wireless Internet.

The bad: Manager Dan quotes variable rates depending on who you are and how much money you have (example, a solo room was $50 for me but $65 for a female attorney). Also don't count on any reservations you make. When I reserved a room, later on it was deleted. A subsequent reservation they said they'd hold a bottom bunk for me. Upon check-in however my bunk was given to someone else and I was given an upper bunk in the basement with 18" of headroom and nasty ductwork over my head. Apparently if someone younger, more cool-looking or prettier comes along, you move down on the food chain depending on Dan's mood at the time.

The ugly: The basement is like a dungeon with no ventilation. Doors stick, needs some maintenance. Kitchen faucet barely more than a drip. Bunk bed slats are so wide the foam mattress pads fall through the cracks and give little support.

Conclusion: Bunk beds are inadequate. If you want a private room, there are numerous hotels in the area for the same or less. Try kayak. I had no problem my last night finding a hotel room with 2 double beds, Internet, continental breakfast, cable, wireless etc for $60 tax included. That was over Labor Day weekend too. Next time I won't be staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank kcomst
bonpaul_and_sharkys, Manager at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Your honest feedback is appreciated. We are under new management, and we think that we have worked out many of the bugs that you mention here. We've stepped up our staff's routine on cleaning, booking, and generally being good amiable and fair hosts. The single private room downstairs has been remodeled altogether. Clear cleaning schedules have been established, and guests are invited to address us immediately with ANY issues they may have. We live on site, so this is possible 24hrs a day. I'm very sorry to hear that we lost your trust here. It is my hope that you may come back through one day, meet the staff and perhaps allow us another chance. Your feedback has been helpful in addressing issues and establishing a new routine.
mars
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

Nothing fancy but a friendly little house in W.Asheville with a good kitchen and a hot tub. Usually allows camping for about 12$.
Cute little street with cafes, health food and pubs -drink without driving!
25 min drive to Blue Ridge Pkwy (where autumn campgrounds get very cold).
Asheville may just be the greatest southern town!

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Thatvagabond
Mannheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

This hostel has such a nice atmosphere. There are 2 porches, one with a hot tub. There's a place in the backyard to set up a tent (that's where my friend and I stayed), and a decent size pen for dogs. Easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, and a pub in the trendy West end. When I was there, I had a great night of singing songs along with a guitar with a diverse group of people (whom I had never met before). It was perfect! The staff were super-nice, and the price can't be beat! The living room has a TV, games, and movies in case you get bored with Asheville. It was so nice to come back to this, rather than a hotel room.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
raeford, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

great deals, great place. They have dorm style rooms one for men, one for women and one coed. They also have several private rooms.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo