“relaxing!”
Review of Shoji Spa & Lodge

Shoji Spa & Lodge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Asheville's only private outdoor hot tub spa. A Japanese style hot tub retreat nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and overlooking the Blue Ridge Parkway yet only 8 minutes east of downtown Asheville. Experience breathtaking views, the cedar sauna and invigorating cold plunge, luxury showers with Japanese shampoo, conditioner & body products. We supply everything you need including your robe, sandals, and towels. We offer private outdoor hot tubs, massages, yoga, spa packages, seasonal specials and even overnight lodging. Refresh your body and renew your spirit at Shoji's earthy sanctuary.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Asheville, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“relaxing!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visited Shoji with 3 friends and I was ready for relaxation time in a beautiful environment. Overall we loved our experience with just a few minor complaints. We arrived about 30 minutes early, but we were allowed to begin our soaking time 15 minutes late. I was in no hurry, so I was fine with that. However we were paged to exit the tub at 1hr 45 minutes instead of getting our full 2 hour soak. That was a little upsetting considering the high price you pay for your hot tub time. For about the same price, you can soak at the Grove Park all day long. The thing that inspired me to go to shoji instead is that your hot tub is private and not shared with strangers. We did not realize that that was not also the case for the cold plunge tub and sauna. Those are something you share with other guests at shoji. We had not idea and where caught a little off guard by this. The other bonus for shoji is that you can bring our own food and wine- which can cut down on the cost. One friend had an amazing massage at shoji, while another said that her massage was weird in the fact that almost all of it was done above the sheet and was not a smooth progression from one body part to another. Massages are difficult to rate in that everyone is different. Overall...I would suggest this place still for couples as it is a very romantic place and it is a GREAT place for a girls getaway. I think however for the money, they should really make sure you get the proper time in for your tub for sure.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank nicolaisnacks
Shoji_Spa_and_Lodge, General Manager at Shoji Spa & Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Shoji Spa & Lodge. At Shoji we strive to provide our guests with great service in a relaxing and unpretentious atmosphere. We work hard at providing the highest level of customer service and value the feedback we receive from our guests.

Unfortunately, we cannot respond to your individual concerns without your personal client information. If you would like to discuss your visit in further detail, please contact us directly so we may access your account.

Again, we appreciate your input and your honesty; this is one way we improve our services.

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“I am not sure they exist anymore”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am visiting Asheville for the weekend and I have been trying to call Shoji at random times over several days and no one ever answers.

You can leave a message (which I did not do), but seems unprofessional to never answer the phone.

1 star is just because I could never use their services, I never actually was able to visit the facility.

Visited October 2012
Shoji_Spa_and_Lodge, Manager at Shoji Spa & Lodge, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We truly regret you were unable to reach us. During our business hours, we make every effort to answer all incoming calls by the 3rd ring; however, there are times when we may fail to reach this goal as we are busy assisting other guests. For those times, we do offer an answering machine and our staff is trained to check and respond to those messages within a specific time frame (during business hours, the messages are checked & calls returned within a 15 to 30 minute window; messages received after business hours, are returned the next day.) We hope you will contact us again when you are in the area so you may enjoy the Shoji experience!
Cumming, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Relax and just take it in”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you are needing a place to just relax and you want something different, this is it.
Lets start with the service.
It was great, they answered questions and gave recomndations. They left you alone because it is a private place.
The Loft.
If you are bringing large bags, be aware you are going up stairs.
The bed is one of the best I have slept in.
The room was clean and had a coffee pot and fridge. THey had other stuff too, but these are important to me.
The bathroom gave you a large tub and shower, no shower curtain, just a large tub with a shower. Which we enjoyed.They provide fire wood for teh fire plae, nice touch!!!
The view from the sitting area was awesome.
THE SPA:
The tubs were private and very relaxing, the massage was great, and the showers were nice.

THe Bottom Line:
We left feeling so relaxed, some of the reviews of this place were sketchy, but I felt like they were far off. It is not five star luxury, It is a great place to un wind and de-stress.
Know going in that they will respect your privacy, they will charge a fair price for extras and that you will go up a winding mountain road to get to the retreat. If you want some corporate resort, go somewhere else. This place is not for people that need a bell man to tote your bags around, they don't have them
Bring what you need to eat and drink, soak in the tubs and let your stress go away. My wife suffers from RA and this was first three days in a long while that she has had no pain. You can't put a price on that. You get what you pay for and we got a lot.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Andrew S
Ann Arbor, Michigan
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Atmosphere, a bit pricey”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Have used the retreat for both hot tubs and massages. While both are very nice, especially when the area has one of the few snows.

But for a the area both are bit pricey.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank ARP313
Boone, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was our first time at a spa anywhere, and I find it hard to believe any other spas will compare to this. We were fortunate and had beautiful weather, so our time in the private hot tub surrounded by the outdoors was especially relaxing. I loved how quiet, serene, and secluded it was; when in your private hot tub room, you feel like you must be the only ones there. Also while in the hot tub, we saw quite a few TINY blue lizards running around the rooftop and sides of the lodge. They were super cute and fun to watch! After that, we did a 50 minute massage plus the 15 minute foot massage. Our massage therapists were friendly and experienced, but the best part for me was the aromatherapy oils and sprays. We left from our afternoon visit at Shoji feeling rejuvenated and deeply relaxed. We will definitely be back!

Visited August 2012