“I'm not an expert on barbecue, but” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luella's Bar-B-Que

Luella's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #44 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Punta Gorda, Florida
“I'm not an expert on barbecue, but”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I really liked Luella's. I t was a good sign when we got in line behind a good number of blue collar guys there for lunch. If they were regulars, I knew the portions would be adequate and this wasn't just the place that is the latest "in place" with the foodies.

I had the sliced chile rubbed beef brisket (picture uploaded). It came with thee hush puppies and two sides for $12.95. My sides were collard greens and one of the special sides of the day, green chili cheese grits. There was a nice bark on the brisket and it had a nice amount of smoke. It was too good to add one of the 5 or 6 sauces they have. I have had more tender brisket, but it was still tender and flavorful. I ate the entire 1/2 pound served with no problem. I'm not a big hush puppy fan. I usually find them dry a lacking flavor. These looked like little sausages and were crisp on the outside and tender inside. They had a hint of sweetness and this might be the first time I've eaten all of the hushpuppies on my plate. The grits were superb. you could taste the chilies but they weren't too spicy for my wife to share. The collard greens were good, but a little to vinegary for my taste.

My wife had the pulled pork sandwich, another healthy portion (picture uploaded) for$6.50. Lots of flavor and too good for sauce also. It came with one side, and she had the Calico baked beans. The name gives them away, lots of colors, black, red, black eyed, Lima, etc., excellent! Next time we make baked beans we are going to try using a variety like this. This was SO much better than plain old baked beans. It also came with spicy vinegary slaw and it is vinegary.

The staff was genuinely friendly and welcoming. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. If you are in Asheville and don't want to hassle with 12 bones, give them a try.

Greenville, Wisconsin
“Without a Doubt the BEST Wings I Have Ever Eaten!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my favorite meal on our trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway and beyond. The smoked, bbq wings were fantastic! Also, probably the best hush puppies I have ever tried. I would have eaten then every night but felt that we needed to try new places along the way. Not sure if we will get back, but Luellas will be on our list!!

Asheville, North Carolina
“Great neighborhood BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Nice, family restaurant, located in a pleasant neighborhood. Interior is mostly wood and and adds nicely to the experience. Staff is very friendly, service is fast. I had the dry rub BBQ, done to perfection. Price is $ to $$ It does get busy on the weekends, because it is supported by its own neighborhood.

I have no idea what is going on with Tripadvisor: "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant? (yes/no)" What a stupid question. Let me answer by saying, I plan to eat there again.

Burnsville, North Carolina
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Love The Hot Flash Fresh Bbq Sauce. Brisket And HushpuppieS Are My Favs. Been In Many Times The Music Selection Is Right On For A String Of Memories For This 40+ Year Old. Give Them A Try And If You Like HushPuppies Get A Large Side

Tampa, Florida
“Huge Portions of Amazing BBQ!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The beef brisket had great flavor & was very tender.
The hush puppies were remarkable.

If you are like me then you know that Bacon is the perfect complement to...Anything!
So trust me when I say the Maple Sugar Bacon Ice Cream I had for dessert was breathtaking.

Luella's is definitely in my top 2 for BBQ.

• Visited May 2013