“Great and Delightful Restaurant”

Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten
Ranked #205 of 818 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Houses
Description: The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is located on 332 Weaverville Highway just a few minutes north of the city of Asheville, North Carolina. Each season abounds with it's own activities! We are only 20 minutes from The Biltmore House and Gardens, 13.4 Miles to the The Blue Ridge Parkway, and an hour drive to the beginning of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park at the Cherokee Indian Reservation. The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is surrounded by abundant natural beauty, friendly atmosphere, wealth of year-round outdoor activities including winter skiing, hiking, biking, and fishing. Enjoy our rich history, and lively local arts and music scene. Just about every weekend from spring until fall, Asheville and its surrounding towns play host to all kinds of festivals from Bele Chere, the southeast's largest outdoor street festival, to the Mountain Dance & Folk Festival which celebrates the area's rich heritage.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I visited your restaurant last October. Not sure if you were the owner then or was DOC? We have read the reviews on trip advisor and many are not very nice. We had the best food and service and we are looking forward to our visit this October. I hope everything will be the same this time. My wife feels the Schnitzel was the best she has ever had. We loved the authentic décor and feel you cannot always please someone if they feel their coupons were not accepted. We go to restaurants for the food and if the coupon is not accepted it is not the food or service that is the problem. People should ask before the eat if you accept coupons.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Authentc German food and beer. What a treat. Food and the atmosphere were authentic bravarian. Brought back good memories of my days in Berlin. Wish it were in Raleigh.

1  Thank Janie K
Reviewed August 16, 2013

went for a reuben it was ok
it was open faced anndd didn't mention that on menu nottt happy
potato salad was bland I didn't know the owner had sold it. might go back might not

1  Thank chef ben m
Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Same menu as previous owner. Same chefs also, as Doc had not been cooking in years. When I bought, I recognized the value of not changing anything.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have in our area a German Restaurant, one day we went over the Mountain and stopped at the Bavarian Restaurant and found the food to be superior and the hospitality two thumbs up.

Every time we are in the area we will stop because we know we will be welcome and the food is always good. Give it a try…

Lyle & Tina
<><< FROG

1  Thank Lyle W
Reviewed August 9, 2013

What a disappointment! Our first time back since Doc sold to the new owner and it will certainly be our last. We had been going there since Doc opened up about 5 years ago and always enjoyed his food and talking to him. The new owner is not familiar running a restaurant or with stocking the bar since she had almost nothing on hand. They could not even find the white wine until one of our party told them to look in the cooler! Then the owner offered to run to the store to buy a bottle of scotch since she was out. That was the only thing she did, she stood around and watched our waiter flounder who obviously had no clue what he was doing. We ordered our dinner and had to wait for the waiter to come out several time to verify what we all wanted and to argue with one of us about how to have her meal prepared. Seriously, if she is allergic to something, just do not put it in! The chef is stubborn rude! We were told it was the same chef that Doc trained but he obviously came from McD's and needs to go back. Our dinners finally started coming out one or two at a time (there was 12 of us) and they came out in pieces! One person got a salad, one person got an entree, one person got the side dishes... The potato pancakes, which we love and come just for them, were burned and the sides for them came out so late that the potato cakes were cold and could not be eaten even if they were not burned. The schnitzel was very small and thin with no flavor and the sauce was completely wrong! I make a better one at my house! On of us did not get his meal until the rest of us were almost done eating!

2  Thank StephannieSuarez
Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

I am sorry you were unhappy, but I belief most of the people at your table were satisfied. Yes I did offer to run to the ABC store to purchase the scotch, as it was one block away, but as to standing around, I did not. I was waiting on all the other tables, as I wanted the server waiting on this large table to give his undivided attention to it. He has not been an employee of the restaurant for long, but he is a good server, and others who have eaten here have stated so. As to the woman who was allergic to much of what we serve at the restaurant - the chef was not rude about this. I don't believe he ever came out of the kitchen. It was the same chef that Doc trained, and the food on the menu is exactly as when Doc was here. I chose not to change the menu, because I know a good thing when I see it, and Doc began a great authentic German restaurant. I chose to continue in that vein. Also, because of the large party, naturally, all the food cannot come out at the same time. We did our best to get the food out in a timely fashion.