“Bad...bad...bad”

Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten
Ranked #183 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Houses
Description: The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is located on 332 Weaverville Highway just a few minutes north of the city of Asheville, North Carolina. Each season abounds with it's own activities! We are only 20 minutes from The Biltmore House and Gardens, 13.4 Miles to the The Blue Ridge Parkway, and an hour drive to the beginning of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park at the Cherokee Indian Reservation. The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is surrounded by abundant natural beauty, friendly atmosphere, wealth of year-round outdoor activities including winter skiing, hiking, biking, and fishing. Enjoy our rich history, and lively local arts and music scene. Just about every weekend from spring until fall, Asheville and its surrounding towns play host to all kinds of festivals from Bele Chere, the southeast's largest outdoor street festival, to the Mountain Dance & Folk Festival which celebrates the area's rich heritage.
“Bad...bad...bad”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times over the years and it has always been great. Always extremely generous portions and food was outstanding. Apparently it has been bought out by someone who has no business owning a German restaurant. The owner never even spoke to us. Our waiter...who I felt sorry for...was terrible. We never got our bread or salads. It took until we got our meals for my husband to get his beer, I didn't get a fork until I had to ask. The appetizer we orders was a brat platter...AWFUL!" It tasted soured and old. The meals were tiny... only came with one side and it wasn't good. I'm glad I bought a groupon or I would have been really mad. We told him it wasn't good but nothing else was said about it. This new owner has ruined to quality of a great restaurant and we won't be back.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank jannak71
Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am sorry you feel the way you do about the food, as it is the same as with the previous owner. When I purchased the restaurant, I inherited the chefs that the original owner had trained. The reason for one less side is so that we could bring the price down a little, as we felt it was too steep. We purchase same food, and make it just as the previous owner had the chefs make it. I wouldn't change a thing, as "Doc" was a master when it came to good food. I had no reason to change it, and many who visit the restaurant now have stated that it is the same.

As to the service, when I'm there, I purpose to visit the tables, and make sure that all is well. I have a couple new servers, so I don't know the situation with you, but if I was there, I would have been sure to make your visit pleasant in any way I could.

Weaverville, North Carolina
“Beware of discount deals available for purchase.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I purchased a coupon from a reputable online coupon website. The coupon offered a huge discount for the food at this establishment. After arriving at the restaurant and viewing the menu we quickly discovered that management was not upholding the terms of the deal voucher. When we looked at the physical menu, the management put a disclaimer on half of the menu stating that no coupons/vouchers could be applied to this side of the menu. Initially, the only item that could not be applied to the coupon (according to the coupon voucher) was alcohol. This false advertisement was extremely unprofessional. We politely requested that the owner contact us on this matter and left. We have waited two weeks with no response from the owner. Although we love their food, these formerly faithful patrons will not be back. Please beware, if you purchase an online deal for this restaurant, the original terms will not be upheld.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Lookingglassself
The reputable coupon company didn't hold up to their end of the bargain by failing to enter the stipulations, and because of that, we had two nights of people eating, and walking out with 100% of their meal paid for. We can't run a restaurant like that. It was disheartening that we had quit taking coupons, but the reputable coupon company, as you put it, will reimburse the money spent by those who purchased.
Weaverville, North Carolina
“New Owners Lacking the quality and quantity as Original German Owner”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I bragged to my friends whom had never been. To my surprise the food has really changed.
The standard sides are no longer. The price has always been a little steep , but never minded before because of the great taste. Well now taste is not half as good and the amount you get is smaller. Seems like new Owners are trying to make it just another "Asheville" eatery. Keep it authentic. To add to misery I took the waiters advice a to try the Bread pudding. What a mistake. Dry Dry Dry. Sorry but, Ill have to make my trip to Charlotte next time I'm feeling some German

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank strombo33
Pahrump, Nevada
“Great restaurant a little off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The quality and variety of food was close to excellent. The night we were there they had kangaroo as one of their specials. Prices are in-line with other German restaurants. Service was super friendly and efficient. Interesting decor.

Visited June 2013
“I can only recommend it”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and my husband went there for our wedding anniversary and what shall i say .. the food and service were amazing. I'm German and my husband lived in Germany for a couple years. a friend of ours recomnended the place and needless to say that we were not disappointed. It's probably as close as you can get to German cuisine arround here. The bratwurst and rouladen were just brilliant and the apple strudle to die for. We will be coming back here and will be making this our special occasion restaurant.