“Disappointing in all aspects.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Havana Restaurant - CLOSED

Havana Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Caribbean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Aberdeen, Maryland
“Disappointing in all aspects.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I entered the establishment and waited. And waited. And waited. There was one table by the window, and no other tables. Two waitresses were chatting at the bar. I waited. I waited some more. I walked to the bar. Neither of them took notice of me. I interrupted their conversation. One waitress grumpily brought me to a table and gave me a menu.

I asked if I could switch tables from the dim rear of the restaurant to a window where there was some light. She complied. The table was damp and sticky. I removed my book and camera, wiped them off, and stashed them in my purse.

Took forever to get served. I ordered a mojito based on the waitress' recommendation, but it was weak and watery when it arrived, and it was $1 less than my sandwich!!!

The cuban Miami style sandwich was very dry. I had trouble getting it down. I used the mojito to wash it down, ate half, then had to go hunt the waitress down to get my check. I put some cash on the table and waited for her to come and pick it up to get me change. I waited. And waited. And waited.

Disappointing.

Asheville, NC
“Would Return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stopped in here for lunch one day and the food was very good, once we got it. The place was pretty busy and there was one gal who was the server, busser and hostess. We ended up being late for our appointment downtown but giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'll give it another shot and hope they have found some more staff.

NC
“My first Cuban food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The inside could be lightened up and redecorated but the food was great. We got pork and chicken empanadas and ceviche. Awesome!

Johnson City, Tennessee
“A little secret with big taste and hospitality.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This was a accidental pleasure. My wife and I wanted something quick, new, and kiddo friendly. This was the place we were greeted at the door by a wonderfully kind man. I order the guacamole dip which was homemade and I could have eaten 6 bowls it was so delicious and fresh. I order the portabella mushroom sandwich. My wife order the homemade black burger. Both were fresh and full of flavor. My mushroom burger was lacking just a little but of thickness. Perhaps a big tomato or red pepper would have given it a little more filling. Still worth it though. This is a must and we will defiantly make this a staple stop in Asheville.

Lewisville
“My favorite restaurant in Asheville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been going to Havana for 5 years now. I absolutely love this place. My dad lives in Fairview, just outside of Asheville and I can't come visit without eating here each time. Everything I've had there is fantastic. Not only is it my fav restaurant in Asheville, but it's definitely in my top 10 fav restaurants I've ever visited. The food is simple, yet oh-so-delicious. The wait staff is very friendly. If you're a drinker, don't leave without trying one of their flavored mojitos...you won't be disappointed. I used to bartend and therefore, I'm very picky about spending $7 on a drink that may or may not be worth it. I've tried the mango and also the coconut mojitos...made with fresh lime, mint and of course, REAL simple syrup. It's just not the same with granulated sugar...trust me. I like the Key West Bowl if I'm eating a light lunch, but the salmon, blackened tilapia and swordfish are also fantastic. If you're not a seafood eater, try the Columbia Lechon or Cuban Sandwich dinner. My daughter is a very picky eater, but she loves the empanadas (on the appetizer menu) and they're enough to fill her up. Don't miss this place while visiting Asheville, if you're looking for well prepared food and great service!

• Visited August 2012