“Good one-time only experience”
Review of Stone House Market - CLOSED

Stone House Market
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Key Point-the restaurant does not have heat. My wife and I read the reviews and couldn't withstand the temptation to give it a try this past Sunday. It was a cold evening and we were told the restaurant doesn't have heat. Not wanting that to deter us, we indulged. Given that it's only a husband and wife team (he's the chef, she's the waitress), we really admire that they are following their passion, but felt that the restaurant falls far short of the high rating that many give for these reasons: 1)Service - mediocre. One person cannot do justice to serving the entire restaurant. Thus, not that attentive and not overly friendly. 2) Food - ok but definitely not exceptional. Although my wife enjoyed the chicken entree and it was hot, my snapper was on the verge of being cold upon being served. Flavors were very nice and enjoyable. 3) Ambience - is very unique and quaintly decorated.
Bottom line - definitely worth a one-time visit but unless the above is improved, would not be a repeat visit for us.

2  Thank Martiniman007

Reviewed October 4, 2010

TripAdvisor is my new best friend...we use it all the time when traveling and it did not disappoint this time either.

I chose Stone House Market for our 5 year anniversary dinner and we had a wonderful evening there. I was able to secure a Friday 8:30pm reservation despite calling the day before. The restaurant is small (maybe seats 25 or so), but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in culinary delight and charm. It's owned by a husband and wife; he runs the back of the house and she handles the front. They do not have printed menus, rather everything is written up on a large chalkboard. We started with an heirloom tomato salad with goat cheese and crostini and for our main course I had a pork tenderloin in a cherry apple cider reduction with homemade sausage cornbread stuffing while my husband had lamb chops over Israeli cous cous with a mint sauce. Both meats were cooked to perfection and the flavor combinations were outstanding.

Debbie offered us a complimentary dessert in honor of our special occasion (bread pudding with a molasses cream sauce) and even though we were full from dinner, we still managed to polish it off!

My only suggestion would be to ask about BYO wine/corkage fee as their wine selection is limited (a few each of red and white by the glass and nothing that knocked our socks off).

We look forward to returning here during our next visit to Asheville!

Reviewed October 1, 2010

I regret to say I was very disapointed. I expected 4 star food and service. First there was no heat so I was cold, I helped myself to a blanket laying on a nearby chair. We ordered the pork loin, it was tough, dry and over cooked. A tiny salad was served with about ten baby spinach leaves and a few jullianed carrots. We made the mistake of ordering wine. Terrible! We orded a second glass of a different class, still terrible. The bill came to 80 with tip for below average food, bad wine and average service. BTW the bathroom is outside as this building is a converted gas station.

2  Thank khtaber01
Reviewed September 26, 2010

only a mile across the river and it beats every other restaurant we've eaten at in Asheville by a mile. Best food for the money, but it it had been twice as much, it would still be the best food for the money.

Reviewed September 17, 2010

The Stone House Market was one of the restaurants that we discovered while searching for places to eat on our vacation in Asheville. This eclectic little eatery was everything we expected and had read about.
The food was great and the hostess was Kind and helpfull. I have read other reviews on slow service, but considering she is alone she did a great job. I highly recommend this on your next trip through Asheville.