“BEEN EATING HERE FOR YEARS”

Ichiban Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #219 of 804 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2013

what i love the most is how i am treated.......i moved to the uk over two years ago but everytime i visit home i go to ichuban and they always come and give me hugs/greetings........i really miss this place and the excellent food

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The location is a little tucked away and hard to find. We arrived after the dinner rush and was promptly seated.Our order was taken .Appettizers and sushi were delivered with satisfaction .The tempuri was good and delish the sushi was good the chef came out and delivered an average show then the confution started I had order the chicken and steak but recieved steak,chicken,and shrimp no such option on the menu another family had order the shrimp the chef was confused and gave this to me and the person seated next to me.Our friend had ordered house wine and was told that the premium wine was served leading to our waitress disappearing for fiffteen minutes trying to decifer the issue which was never quite resolved.Might be better if we had arrived a rush tim?

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I ended up at this restaurant after realizing that yoshidas, another local Japanese restaurant, was closed. I called ahead and was informed that the last seating was at 9:45. We arrived at 9:31 to an empty restaurant. They say us at an uncomfortable booth (we expected to be sat at a grill.) Disappointment number one. The server was not enthused at all that we were there. She brought us drinks, placed our order, brought our order to us (at that point she asked "do you need anything else because the kitchen is closed?") and we never saw her again (kind of.) I had to get up and ask a worker walking by for a to go box. Which took over 5 minutes. The server then brought our check and we left. Also, mine and my boyfriends shrimp were overlooked. Decor inside is drab. Service is drab. Food is drab. Go to yoshidas or wasabi. Don't waste your money!

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Had sushi for lunch last week. I thought it was a good value. The sushi tasted fresh and the fish portions were pretty good for rolls. I would go back.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I attended a meeting earlier this week at Ichiban in Biltmore (behind the old Lowe's site), enjoyed the meeting and thought the food was plentiful if far from gourmet standard. Not sure how the sushi or sashimi is here, as nearly all in our group seemed to have one of the hibachi dinners.

I had the filet mignon and chicken hibachi dinner combo ($18.95), which comes with a clear soup (okay if you like broth), a small salad (iceberg lettuce and tasteless), tons of fried rice and vegetables (mainly onions and broccoli and squash), a couple of grilled shrimp and large servings of grilled chicken and filet, which was very tender. It was as much or more than any one person could finish, and I, who am far from being a bird-like eater, took home a sizeable box of food.

The "chefs" -- as at other Japanese restaurants of this type -- put on a hokey show, but I must admire the waiter and cooks for managing to keep all orders and bills straight for a group of 20 or so, all of whom got separate checks. Service was prompt and friendly.

The atmosphere was a little noisy, and the U-shape seating around two grills is not particularly ideal for group interaction, but the atmosphere was pleasant and the meal was filling, to say the least. A plus is the ample free parking near the restaurant.

This is the kind of place I'd probably take my nephews for a hearty meal. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back myself, but I'd have to be up for an all-you-can kind of spot without a lot of delicacy or nuance.

With the mandatory 20% group tip, and a Japanese beer, I think my meal came to about $32, reasonable for the amount of food.