“Teacher learned her literature”

Thomas Wolfe Memorial
Ranked #13 of 194 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Thomas Wolfe's childhood home, immortalized in his 1929 novel, "Look Homeward Angel," is preserved intact as a lasting monument to one of the 20th century's most prominent writers. The house, originally operated as a boardinghouse by his mother, retains most of its original furnishings and is designated as a National Historic Landmark. Tours of the 29 room house are offered hourly. The adjacent visitor center and museum highlight Wolfe's life and major literary accomplishments.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We received a discount to visit from our White Trolley Tour, but is a bargain anyway. Lucky for us because the house had many tales to tell. I had no knowledge of this American writer, and now I am intrigued to read his books. The former boarding house had many antiques which we enjoy. However our guide was the best part. He gave us a personal tour and shared so many interesting facts about the writer, his family, the community and life during the time period. Worth 90 minutes while in downtown Ashville, such a charming place to be, and they encourage you to rest a spell in the rockers on the porch.

There are newer reviews for Thomas Wolfe Memorial

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The cemetery is worth seeing if you enjoy cemeteries. I had read the book by Thomas Wolfe and wanted to see the memorial. Beautiful cemetery

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was a very interesting and informative tour. The house is wonderful with all of its detail and beautiful antiques. Our tour guide was fun and full of great information! Enjoyed the exhibition and video. Great way to spend a couple or 3 hours!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was a most interesting place to visit. Right in downtown, interesting tour, and inexpensive to visit.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Not being a particular fan of Thomas Wolfe, I did not know whether I would be so interested in this. I went because my husband wanted to go. Turned out to be a great choice, even though almost everyone on tour was over 70, suggesting only older persons would be interested. Not so! First, if nothing else, this place has genuine antiques original to the house and family. Next, it is the actual house about which Thomas Wolfe wrote in his novels. How many times do you get to see the actual setting for a book before you read it? Or after? The guide was great, never losing my attention, since Tom Wolfe was a bit risque in his works and life. How glad I am that I did this for my husband and gained the joy of learning more about Tom Wolfe and especially his industrious mother. How I wish many more would to assure that this property is protected. Such a gem in downtown Asheville!

1  Thank HappyTraveler001