“12 Bones Makes You Happy”

12 Bones Smokehouse
Ranked #27 of 804 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My partner and I dined here while visiting the Asheville area in October 2013. We stopped by because of recommendations of people on Trip Advisor and a few friends who had actually been. My partner LOVES BBQ, and I LIKE it - so we wanted to give it a shot. I am glad we did. This was our last stop before heading the airport - and we both agreed that if we would have went here earlier on our trip we most likely would have made a return trip!

We went to the location in the River Arts District. Kind of funny being an old filing station, but that is part of the character I guess! They had plenty of outdoor seating, but it was full - so we ended up eating inside which was a bit cramped. We arrived at lunch time during the week, and there was a small line out the door, but it went fast and we got a seat with no problem. We ordered a Smoked Turkey Sandwich and a Pulled Pork Sandwich. For our sides we got Mac and Cheese, Jalapeño Cheese Grits, Corn Pudding, and Smoked Potato Salad. With the exception of the Pulled Pork Sandwich (which was not bad, but just average in our opinion) everything was pretty amazing! The Smoked Turkey Sandwich was probably one of the best sandwiches we have ever had, actually. It did not even need any type of sauce on it, it had plenty of incredible flavor. We could not recommend it enough. The Pulled Pork Sandwich was just average, so we tried some of their sauces to spice it up - and to be honest we were not a fan of any of their sauces.

We would absolutely recommend this place to anyone in the area, and specifically recommend the Smoked Turkey Sandwich and the four sides we got. All were fantastic. Being from St. Louis, where we have some pretty great BBQ places available to us, 12 Bones was a certified hit with us. If back in the area we will return for sure.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Either Ashevillians like their ribs DRY or the head chef was sick this day. This little fat boy rarely knocks any Bar-B-Q joint since I love it. I've dined on brisket, pulled pork, and ribs of many known mammals and usually liked it all. This particular foray to what many Asheville residents have referred to as the Bar-B-Q mecca for Western North Carolina left me underwhelmed.

The ribs were more like jerky attached firmly to bone. The wide choice sauces they offered helped somewhat with the flavor, but not the texture. All in all, not worth the lengthy wait in line.

However, based on the crowds which swarm this place, I'm willing to give it another try. Stay tuned!

1  Thank Bartemus
Reviewed December 21, 2013

As other have stated, get here early because it fills up fast. My wife and I ate lunch at the Arden location. She had the side plate which included 4 sides and cornbread. Choosing the sides is made easier by the footnotes on the big board. Those sides with meat have an "m" beside them(like the beans) other are so noted as "df"(dairey free), "lf"(low fat),"gf"(gluten free). Makes it very easy if you are a vegan. The potion of the sides was very generous and they tasted great. And for $5 you can't beat it. I had the BBQ and 2 sides at a very good price. The pulled pork was good(but no better than other places) and the sauces were tasty with several to choose from. The ribs looked very popular. We'll be back.

3  Thank columbusJO
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We arrived right when they opened so had no wait at all :-) The place lived up to the hype! I had the BLT and it is one of the best things I have ever eaten. Fried green tomatoes and candied bacon, need I say more. It is a must have. The hubby had the ribs and said they were good as well. Our son had the corn pudding and mac n cheese and was a happy camper. We will be back.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Waited in line outside for 40 minutes, Ordered ribs (not that great) corn pudding(great) Mac & Cheese (creamy and good). Wife had pulled pork (ok but not great) bourbon bread pudding (good). I can say that nothing was bad just not worth the hype or the wait in line. Prices were good. staff was helpful in walking you thru their ordering and paying