“Great funky vibe, savory foods, no frills”

12 Bones Smokehouse
Ranked #27 of 811 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed November 10, 2013

n before departing Asheville, we planned lunch at 12 Bones in the Riverside district. (Note that the second location has different operating hours and days—check ahead). We drove up about noon to find a line of maybe a dozen people outside. Dismaying at first, but the line does move fairly quickly. As you enter, you place your order and pay at the counter, get your drinks, and find a table. All sorts of stickers, tattoos, and other informal decor cover the walls, giving a funky vibe. If you like the weather, you can take advantage of a large outdoor seating area.

The BBQ offers several options such as dry rub with herbs, different sauces, etc. Good to have some variety. And several sandwiches as well. My wife’s sandwich combined smoked turkey, bacon, pesto, and brie.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Believe the hype, this place rules! Consistently delicious, can't miss. Blueberry chipotle ribs, jalapeño cheese grits, collards = heaven.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was the greatest meal I had whilst in the USA. the service was great and I was recommended sauces for my rack of ribs (was given to half racks with most popular sauce and most original). If you ever visit Asheville, 12 bones is a must

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My family and came across 12 Bones while searching for a place to have lunch. The restaurant is really down home and the food is awesome. My husband chose the pulled pork plate and I chose the chopped brisket plate, while both of our kids chose pork sandwiches. These plates were huge. Served in an over sized pie tin, we received a generous helping of bbq, two sides of our choice and cornbread. Each plate cost about 7.00. We couldn't finish it all and took some home. This is a really good deal for the money and really good food as well. We came away wishing there was a 12 Bones down here in St. Augustine!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

One of my top BBQ experiences ever! I have visited the Sweeten Road location twice. The baby back ribs are terrific! Great sandwiches like "Hogzilla". Neat converted service station...would never have imagined the service would be as friendly! Great experience...a must stop destination!