“Great BBQ, amazing sides!”

12 Bones Smokehouse
Ranked #31 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
California
“Great BBQ, amazing sides!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The ribs and brisket are excellent, but their corn pudding may be the best I've tasted (creamy, with just a touch of heat). The mashed sweet potatoes, collard greens, and baked beans are also excellent.

Visited October 2012

Vienna, Virginia
“Best BBQ side dishes around!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

When my husband I were visiting Asheville, NC last weekend, we looked to Trip Advisor for some ideas for lunch. When we read the reviews here, we thought we just had to try this BBQ joint and we are so glad we did.

The line was a little long, but when commenting about it to someone standing next to me, they said, "Honey, this aint nothin'!" It was true-when we left the restaurant after eating, the line went around the building and down the road! Parking was a little tricky as well, but it was all worth it in the end.

The BBQ was great. I got the baby back ribs with the blueberry chipotle sauce were wonderful. The sides is what I loved though! The cheesy grits with jalapenos were heavenly, as was the corn puddin'. Wow! The mac and cheese was good, but not the best I've had. My husband had a beef brisket sandwich with beans and sweet potatoes-both wonderful. The cornbread was good and the service was so fast. I loved the outdoor communal eating area and the people all seemed very nice.

This place was excellent and well worth the wait. We will have to think of an excuse to get back to Asheville soon.

• Visited October 2012
High Point
“Excellent food, reasonably priced, a great alternative to the usual lunch fare. Bring your own fork!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Decided to try 12 Bones today for lunch after we arrived for a mountain weekend. Recommended by a trusted friend, but when we saw the place, almost turned away, until we saw the line of 35-45 people outside the door....at 1:30pm! I asked someone up front and was told the wait was not long and well worth it, so in the line we stepped. The line did move quickly and after about 35 minutes, we were able to place our order and be seated. We had barely sat down when out the food came. Unfortunately, NO forks were to be found anywhere, and after a lengthy wait with our food in front of us, were finally pulled from the dishwasher. I had to practically tackle the server to stop and distribute some to our table.

I ordered the Wedge Salad with 4 Baby Back Ribs. Tender warm ribs with a subtle deep smokey flavor, coated with a wonderful blueberry chipotle barbecue sauce. Not too sweet with a balanced fruit flavor. Delicious! A hefty chunk of chilled iceberg lettuce drizzled with a spicy ranch dressing, pieces of bacon with cucumber, tomato, and a sprinkling of fried onion strings made a good complement. Other orders at our table also received high scores. The Beef Brisket sandwich was consumed heartily, the pulled smoked turkey with incredibly moist corn pudding and cucumber salad, and the BLT sandwich with fried green tomatoes were all hits. We all agreed that we had made a great choice staying after all.

If you're looking for upscale ambience, you won't find it here. But if you enjoy unexpected quality in a cool kind of place, definitely stop here. Outdoor dining is available so choose a great fall afternoon and enjoy!

• Visited October 2012
Springfield, Missouri
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

12 Bones is a hot spot for visitiors to the Asheville area. Their hours are limited, the wait line is long, and much of the seating is outside, but it is worth your time. Being from coastal North Carolina, I prefer eastern North Carolina BBQue, but I must say 12 Bones make some very decent dishes.

• Visited May 2012
St. Thomas
“Good Ribs”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Used to own a restaurant that made great ribs but 12 Bones beat us out by a mile. Just make sure you have a load of napkins witih you!

Visited August 2012