“great BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've had lunch here on both of my visits to Asheville. I'm not a huge rib fan, but the ribs here are great as is the chopped beef brisket. The Jalapeño cheese grits were the best part of the meal!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The last two times I've eaten here the ribs were over-cooked like bad left overs! The sides weren't much better! This used to be a great place to eat. Would not go back a third time. Yuk.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Right in the arts district. Why do Presidents go here? Because it's darn good. Pulled pork is unbelievable. Not much to look at but what food at great prices. Go every time we are in Asheville. Be prepared to stand in line and park down the road.

1  Thank nole38
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Great food at a great price, I think we only paid about $8 for 2 pulled pork sandwiched (huge) and some chips. I would recommend calling ahead as the hours vary.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I had heard so many good things about "Twelve Bones," but were just never in the area to try them out until just this week. It won't matter what I write--the place was packed--but, here goes: My brisket was tasty, luke-warm, with only a faint, faint smoky taste, if any. However, had I closed my eyes I would have mistaken the meat for tender, well-done steak. There was a slight sheen to a few of the slices which suggest they had been made a while ago. Interestingly, the quite obese lady sitting to my left had way more brisket on her bun than I had received. The sides: mashed sweet potatoes were 'authentic' with the little pieces of fiber sticking out all over, and could have been hotter. The smokey potato salad looked the color of what a cat would choke up. My husband's stomach didn't do well afterwards; he was sure they must have added 'liquid smoke' to the potatoes.(This might explain the disgusting color.) Atrocious was the 'mac and cheese' which resembled macaroni noodles with half and half poured over them--no cheese! The cucumber salad was really, really sour, like poor quality watered-down vinegar with tiny bits of some cheese, unidentifiable, (whichreally doesn't belong in a cucumber salad unless one is doing a pseudo greek version), awkward cuts of tasteless and unsightly tomato and onion. The pulled pork sandwich was lukewarm, plenty of meat, not much taste. Our opinion was that the meats had not been smoked long enough. We didn't try the smokehouse's 'famous' (or infamous?) ribs and will never go back after this experience.I have never, ever experienced such atrocious side dishes.

1  Thank Vienna1717