“HandiCap Tour”

and up
Guided Stand-Up Paddleboard Tour in Asheville
Ranked #1 of 185 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: George Vanderbilt's historic country estate in Asheville, NC; Biltmore includes Biltmore House--America's largest home--plus gardens, winery, Antler Hill Village, historic farm, 4-star Inn on Biltmore Estate, shops, restaurants, branded products, and outdoor adventures. This National Historic Landmark is an amazing destination offering a wide range of activities for all ages.
Nashville. TN
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“HandiCap Tour”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I had the great privilege of escorting a handicapped family member and two care workers to Biltmore Estate. I did not purchase 7-day advance (weekday) tickets --- but-- 2 discounted tickets ( for my relative and 1 worker)$44 and 2 full-price tickets $49. (I did expect a larger discount for family member with local state employees. I did call ahead to get info and that was the current policy :(
Valet parking: $15 --- worth every penny to pull the car in front of the house and unload the wheelchair and roll. Valet people were ROCK STARS as we needed the car several times for supplies and they were understanding and on top of their game.
Note: there is no air conditioning in the house. I don't think it matters, it was a July day and not hot in the house at all.
Restrooms: The only restrooms are outside the home @ the stables. Think cobblestones. No one complained.
As we toured the first floor I was amazed at how rude ( the other guest) were to a person in a wheelchair. ( standing/moving in front etc.) It was an education.
There is an elevator to the 2nd floor. Cool experience. Elevator Attendant is so informative.
After the 2nd floor there is a "movie room" for handicapped visitors to watch an estate movie while the rest of their party visits the rest of the house. (I can see no appropriate means to open this area to a larger audience as it is a tiny stairway. Back down the elevator again, we sat outside under the wisteria, and enjoyed the view, while our group toured the "basement" areas.

We had lunch at the Stable Cafe: WOW-- The seating arrangement allowed us to transfer from a wheelchair to a dinning chair and the kitchen staff actually "ground" the menu items up and brought the food to my antsy family member immediately. How AWESOME is that?

We did buy a picture. It was expensive and worth it for posterity.
We closed the day out with an ice cream from The Ice Cream Parlor.

It was truly a perfect day..

We did not visit the gardens, nor the winery this visit ( the winery is certainly handicap assessable).

Visited July 2014
4 Thank SVtravelagent

• Korean first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Get here early!”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This is well worth a trip to see how the very wealthy lived 100 years ago. I have been here twice--15 years apart--and it is well worth a trip if you are in Asheville. The grounds alone are worth the entrance fee. Do get here early, because you can easily spend 5-6 hours at the estate--2 hours touring the house and another 3-4 hours walking the grounds. The busses arrive in masses after 10:00, so I would arrive when the estate opens.

The first time I rented the earphones, and I think it is well worth it. At my most recent visit I passed on the earphones and walked the house on my own, and I was sorry not to have had the earphones to give me specific details.

Do not miss the gardens, both the formal rose and flower gardens and the woodland paths. They are lovely and peaceful. Do not hurry. Sit on the benches along the route and relax. Make sure to visit the greenhouses to see the tropical plants that are moved to the main house. I would not eat at the estate unless you are desperately famished. The food is overpriced and unhealthy. Eat elsewhere or pack a sandwich and drink to bring with you to eat at an overlook.

Visited July 2014
Salisbury, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have always wanted to go here and I finally got the chance to do so. It is soo amazing and much more!! The scenery is beautiful and any of the restaurants on the property are an excellent choice. Hoping to go back soon!

Visited November 2013
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Travel early as soon as it opens on a Sunday and it was not crowded at all. Very easy to see the entire house and gardens and wine tour in a day if you grab something to eat without using up an hour eating. Certainly can go back or slow done but can be done in a comfortable pace should you not have two days. Audio headsets "a must". Very clearly explains rooms and history. Without headsets I felt very sorry for those family's simply staring at rooms and observing. Worth every penny to get them!

Visited August 2014
New Rochelle, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Magnificent estate”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We spent over three hours seeing the house, gardens, etc. What a treat. Check out the senior rate if you qualify and if you book a week before arrival I think that the rate is the same as the senior rate. Everyone working at the estate was soooooo helpful! Be sure to get the audio set.

Visited August 2014