“Fun to see how the other half lived”
Review of Biltmore Estate

$95.00*
Half-Day Stand-Up Paddleboard Tour through Biltmore Estate
Ranked #1 of 195 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: George Vanderbilt's historic country estate in Asheville, NC; Biltmore includes Biltmore House--America's largest home--plus gardens, winery, Antler Hill Village, historic farm, 4-star Inn on Biltmore Estate, shops, restaurants, branded products, and outdoor adventures. This National Historic Landmark is an amazing destination offering a wide range of activities for all ages.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

After having visited the Hearst Castle, we were interested to see Biltmore. I would describe it as way less over-the-top than the Hearst home but overwhelming nonetheless. $50 is a bit pricey for a 90-minute self-guided tour. Definitely get the audio tour as it adds a lot to the experience. I now feel the need, though, to research George Vanderbilt a bit to see if he is the saintly employer as described. I would suggest that the Foundation offer adult-only admission times as I felt there were too many disinterested high school students and a few toddlers that detracted from the experience. A few narrow stairways to navigate but we saw several people with canes manage just fine. Since it was January, we didn't tour the grounds on foot but would definitely do that if we were there at a more attractive time of the year. We did not visit the shops or vineyard but did drive by there to exit.

Write a ReviewReviews (18,567)

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

So amazing! Great place to spend a relaxing day exploring the house or the property. When exploring the house, don't be afraid to ask the staff questions. That is what they are there for. So beautiful, an awesome view from every window! Will never get tiered of visiting there!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I first visited Biltmore as a junior in highschool. Now more than 10 years later I try to make my way back every year. I refer to Biltmore as Disneyland for adults. There is so much to do, see, and taste. The estate, the vineyards, the grounds, the Inn....everything is amazing. I would suggest going during Christmas time as the decorations are great. Try the specialty foods and the shop, and do not forget the free tastings at the winery!

1  Thank EdeaBee
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Great visit! Off season, Christmas was coming down, and we felt like for almost a half day we had the mansion to ourselves. Great audio your and we were not rushed.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is my 4th time , I visited this absolute treasure of a home , castle! I never tire of this experience,the wonderment, I feel once again , as I did when I was a child long ago! I thank this family from the bottom of my heart for allowing strangers into their family home and to share their history with us, there is no other family that in my eyes matches the accomplishments achieved by them then and now by keeping this American treasure preserved !

1  Thank Janet C