“Restore yourself at 27 Blake St”
Review of 27 Blake Street

We can't find prices for this accommodation
27 Blake Street
Portland, Maine
“Restore yourself at 27 Blake St”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

While relaxing on the porch overlooking a beautiful garden, I felt happy and grateful for the Victorian charm of my room, the loving, tasteful attention to detail in the house, the little owl in the tree, the quiet of the place and the ease of walking everywhere. But most of all, I have to thank the owner, Carolyn Spain, for her many thoughtful acts of kindness and for making me feel so welcome and at home. Her suggestions were fantastic - I felt like I connected with the very best of Asheville. On so many levels, she is just wonderful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Anselmo
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My partner and I spent 4 day visiting Asheville and 27 Blake street B & B was a perfect place for us to hang our hats. The room is just as it looks in the photos, quaint and charming with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom with a small claw foot tub. Although there is no breakfast at this B & B , there is a coffee maker and small fridge in the room, as well as a great little cafe just a couple of blocks away.
We loved the location with easy access to downtown or the freeway. The neighborhood is charming and made for a delightful evening stroll. Carolyn is a great hostess, always willing to share information about Asheville or help out with directions.
When we return to Asheville we will definitely be staying here, it was just perfect!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed at 27 Blake St for 3 nights and had a great stay. The house is located in a quite residential area, easy walking distance from many restaurants and shopping. Carolyn, the owner, has done a fantastic job with the house and garden, we loved sitting on the porch in the mornings. Be aware, as Carolyn clearly states, the room does not come with breakfast, this is no problem because there are a couple very good cafes within a couple minutes walk. There is coffee and a nice assortment of teas and a small fridge in the room. We found the room very comfortable and slept soundly each night. When our travels find us in Asheville, we will definitely stay here again. To sum it up, Carolyn, the room, and the gardens were all wonderful and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The reviews of recommending Blake 27 were right on! I went with my girlfriend for a surprise trip to Bele Chere and I could not have picked a more charming place to stay. Our room was perfect and close to everything. We could have spent hours in the beautiful garden. The owner, Carolyn, had great conversation and shared insights on Asheville's best kept secrets. We hated to leave, but will definitely stay there again soon. M. G.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My boyfriend and I were down in Raleigh for a wedding and decided to make the 4 hour drive west to Asheville to satisfy our curiosity for what we had heard was a cool, artsy, southern town in a beautiful setting. We found all of that and more with the help of our wonderful hostess (and guide) Carolyn. Carolyn has the perfect balance of inquisitiveness, respect for privacy, friendliness and helpfulness and a charming southern drawl. We hold dear our mornings on the porch swing overlooking the garden discussing the days potential activities and previous days happenings with her. We loved the cleanliness and the quaintness of our room in her beautiful old Victorian with lush gardens all around. We can't wait to return. Thank you, Carolyn!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I found 27 Blake Street by searching for bed & breakfasts on-line. I chose 27 because of the owner, Carolyn's, quick, courteous and informative response. And when I arrived at 27, I was not disappointed.

Carolyn was waiting for me when I arrived. She greeted me with a big smile, a tour of my room, a map of Asheville, and information on what to do and where to eat.

The room is the size of a large hotel room with added charm and personality. It has a large bath with a claw-foot tub. The room is located on the side of a porch that wraps around Carolyn's home. An armoire and dresser were in the room and I easily unpacked. There is a closet with a small refrigerator and room for storing luggage. She has a coffee pot set up and I was able to heat water for tea. I felt safe and secure, even coming back to the room late at night.

I went to Asheville on a spiritual retreat and I was not disappointed. I meditated and did yoga in the garden. I woke each morning to singing birds. Outside one window of the room - and framed perfectly by the window - was a birdhouse.

The walk to downtown Asheville was about six minutes. I did not rent a car so that was perfect. I felt safe at all times. Carolyn was available when I needed her and no where to be found when I wanted privacy.

The only caution I would offer is although I found 27 by searching bed & breakfast, Carolyn does not offer breakfast. This was okay with me since there are so many good places to eat in the area.

I will definitely go back. I just wish Carolyn would let me bring my toy poodle.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2010

27 Blake Street, Asheville, NC

My spouse and I first stayed at 27 Blake Street in the Montfort District of Asheville for the first time a year ago this fall. Our first impression was that this home and the gardens are thoughtfully and lovingly offered.

The bed is comfortable and there are windows and high ceilings, a coffee pot (with good coffee and ½ and ½ in the refrigerator!) and a small refrigerator in a closet, so there is no night hum to bother one. An ample wardrobe and hooks provide plenty of space for clothing, and the shower is great.

Best of all, the atmosphere and the energy are positive, and Carolyn is a wonderful host who seems to know just when to appear and talk and listen—and when you need to be alone. She offers her gardens with different configurations of chairs and a swing and flowers and plants of all kinds in which one can just sit and meditate or read and enjoy 100-year-old trees towering overhead.

I went back for a week by myself at a stressful time this spring and felt like I was coming ‘home’ each evening to sink into the comfort and safety of the welcoming room. 27 Blake is about a 12-minute walk to GreenLife grocery, a natural foods store that carries any number of fresh fruits, vegetables and delicious prepared meals. I enjoyed many suppers there. Musicians perform constantly in front of the store, and it’s a great place to people watch. Walking into town, again about a 15-20 minute walk, is a preferred way to get to the heart of Asheville, with its coffee shops, restaurants and clothing and art for sale, and the famed Malaprop’s Bookstore, another good place to browse, people watch and just spend time.

I highly recommend Blake Street for its charm, its closeness to town, its owner, and its reasonable price. I plan to return again and again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple