“Bluegrass night is worth seeing”
Review of Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood
Ranked #7 of 49 Nightlife in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Asheville NC's best social gathering spot! Featuring great Irish food items such as bangers and mash, Irish stew, fish and chips along with 18 rotating taps and one cask tap. We feature a large selection of local brews and have a full liquor bar.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went by Jack of the Wood specifically for bluegrass music while in town. I enjoyed this bar and without question it is on the list of places I will frequent when in town. The bluegrass was quite good and the crowd all enjoyed it in a fun, but not over the top, atmosphere. The beers are good, however be aware they are certainly British style beers with the exception of their double IPA which is more of that west coast over hopped ale that some people(not I) crave. The food was much better than expected and with a couple recommendations from the bartender (can not remember the man's name, but a younger guy) I left quite impressed. The home made blue cheese for their wings is without question the best I have had. The bison nachos were also a different treat. I wish I had a place like this near me.

1  Thank mikefromva

Reviewed March 8, 2013

It happened to be Bluegrass Thursday, and we were in for a treat. Cheesy fries and bison nachos washed down with French Broad Wee-Heavy-er Scotch ale... well, I think I have a new favorite ale. Our waitress was cheerful and helpful, despite the growing crowd. The band "No Strings Attached" put on a strong set that made everyone happy.

What made the experience even more delightful was that there were small children, along with their parents, in the crowd and at the nearby tables. It's good to have a family-friendly atmosphere; I think we all need a break from the adult-themed venues that pervade the night life.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stopped by on a Friday night when two bands were playing. It was crowded but had such a fun atmosphere. Lots of dancing. Good beer selection. Had a cheese dip with chips- the chips had so much seasoning that it was unedible and the cheese was average. I'd go back for drinks and music.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I often stop for a beer at Jack of the Wood when we're in Asheville. It's a cozy and fun bar, with excellent locally brewed beers. The food is good too, and not terribly expensive. It is often crowded, especially on the weekends, but the servers and bartenders are always friendly. It's in an excellent location downtown, easy to get to and a short walk from other downtown attractions, and a great place to take friends.

1  Thank edna m
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I went to Asheville for our anniversary weekend. We had dined in several restaurants and decided we would get a drink and pub food the on our anniversary after spending most of the day hiking Chimney Rock State Park. We arrived around 930 pm and sat down at a table. The waitress came and removed dirty glasses and did not say a word and walked away. She walked by several times and did not acknowledge our presence. Eventually, I walked to the bar and ordered drinks while she then waited on the table next to ours and provided menus. She continued to ignore out table when I walked across the room and asked her for a menu. She then stated that the kitchen stopped serving food in fifteen minutes. I then went back to the bar and the bartender stated that I could still order food and he would place an order for our table. The bartender was helpful and the food was good, The absolute rudeness of the waitress definitely did not make this dining experience very positive.

2  Thank Irish4052