“A great place to find local art and artists”

River Arts District
Asheville Ghost Walking Tour and Mystery Museum
Ranked #17 of 186 things to do in Asheville
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great place to find local art and artists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

I had heard about the amazing local arts scene in Asheville and finally found it! I really enjoyed getting to go into the artists workshops and I found presents for my whole family! Then we went and had a beer at the Wedge, I think it might be my new favorite beer, but I wish they shipped it. :)

Visited July 2011
1 Thank jessie333

Weaverville, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“River Arts District Keeps On Growing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I'm an Asheville native and would highly recommend visiting the various art studios and galleries in the River Arts District. In the past few months more studios have opened, have extended their hours, and they are hosting a lot more more events. Many visitors don't realize that the larger buildings house a multitude of studios and galleries representing many different artists of many different media and styles. I think they have heard the complaints about short hours loud and clear and they have addressed that. The artists themselves have put together a site to make finding information about them easier at www.ashevillerad.com. In addition to the galleries there are parks and gardens, excellent restaurants and microbrews, and all within a mile or so of downtown Asheville. The River Arts District has been under revitalization for many years and now, finally, it has matured to the the point where I would definitely recommend it.

2 Thank highlandhen
St. Louis, MO
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Utter waste of time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

We saved our visit to the Asheville River Arts District for the final full day of our trip expecting to experience a veritable cornucopia of unique art as well as the ability to witness the artists creating new and wonderful pieces. The River Arts District was one of the reasons we chose Asheville to visit. Yet, what we found were locked doors, inhospitable workers, oppressive heat and dark hallways. We visited on a Friday in the early afternoon. And, we visited during a time when the local University was having graduation so the streets were full of patrons searching for buying opportunities. Both of these factors would lead one to expect the shops to be open. Of the mere two shop doors that we found open one held an irritated person who snapped, “We’re not open,” as if we should’ve clairvoyantly ascertained that prior to entry. The second shop held an artist who was so desperate to sell something, anything, that we felt very uncomfortable during our browsing. The map of the District lists many, many artists but upon closer inspection most show “By Appointment Only” as their shop’s hours. Being a tourist that type of situation is hardly conducive to shopping. Are we supposed to sit in our B&Bs ‘scheduling’ appointments at all these shops just so that we can view their wares? I think not. This District is clearly structured for the Asheville Resident and not for the Tourists. If you are a tourist in Asheville skip this area. It’s not worth the frustration, social discomfort as well as the inaccessible manner in which the entire District is operated. The District’s only saving grace is that it’s near the 12 Bones Smokehouse so we at least had a good meal.

15 Thank mad_low
Portland, Oregon
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Unique Artists Galleries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I recently visited Asheville and made sure to stop in a few of the galleries in the River Arts District. I enjoyed talking with the artists and seeing all the unique works of art. The most interesting one for me was an artist who paints with layers of colored wax. If you enjoy art, definitely visit some of the artist workshops in this area of the city.

1 Thank ConnieR
A TripAdvisor Member
“Must see Art enclave, less than a mile from downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

I had heard about the Asheville River Arts District from a New York Times article. When I got into town I asked about it and was delighted to find that it was less than a mile from the downtown area, so I drove down there. I found a map on-line (http://www.bellavistaart.com/xhtml/ContactUsMap.htm) and was pleasently suprised to find an enclave of artists of all media (glass, wood, oil, acrylic, etc) as well as a real gem of an Art Gallery (Bella Vista Art). Where else can you go to see some art and then have a nice sidewalk lunch made by a real chef, at Clingman Cafe. The parking was easy, and free. The people were friendly and helpful in pointing out various artists in the neighborhood. Tip: just ask them for their map, they have one at many establishments that tells you the hours, and specialties. I would rate this a MUST SEE experience.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member