“Resurrected from the ashes”

Clarion Inn Biltmore Village
Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Previous reviews of this hotel were enough to make me fear what I had gotten into after purchasing the room on Priceline's "name your own price" service. But, I gave them a chance and they did not disappoint. The staff was exceptionally friendly, first of all, and obviously took pride in their work. Having been completely renovated in 2008, I suspect any personnel that were not completely customer service oriented were let go. As for the facility, EVERYTHING was new--and tasteful. Is is a 5-star resort? No. But you don't worry about cleanliness or the functionality of anything. Besides, in-room fridge and coffee maker are enough for people that don't require turn down service. As for the beds, they were the best I'd ever slept on in a hotel. Not to mention the "firm" and "soft" pillows were a nice touch.

All in all, I'd say that the rebirth of this hotel has made it a great value and opportunity for visitors to Asheville--especially if you're there to see the Biltmore Estate. Downtown is only a couple miles up the road and you have immediate access to I-40. This is certainly the place I will stay next time I visit Asheville.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank doyner

Reviewed June 24, 2009

After some of the bad reviews, I was a little concerned. The hotel was excellent. The bathroom was extremely clean. We had a wonderful time!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Convenient, clean, and quiet. We came to Asheville without reservations to see a concert at the Orange Peel and afterwards drove south on highway 25 looking for motels. Since I belong to the Priority Club, we stopped here first and were cordially welcomed. The evening clerk took a map and showed us exactly where to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway to avoid a rockslide near Mt. Mitchell. He recommended different exits for 1/2-hour, 2-hour, or 3-hour Parkway trips. This information turned out to be extremely helpful. The morning clerk gave us tips about visiting the Biltmore Estate.

The room had plenty of towels, comfortable beds and chairs, a hair dryer, iron and ironing board; and the evening clerk gave my teenage son a toothbrush and toothpaste. We would definitely stay here again and recommend this motel to others.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I would not stay at this hotel again. (I actually booked it by mistake thinking I was booking the Holiday Inn near the mall.) The lobby was very untidy - boxes stacked against the wall in several places, sticky notes covering a door - and the desk clerk was similarly untidy and quite surly. He barely spoke except to ask for our credit card and tell us where to sign. The parking lost - which is tiny - was littered as were the steps to our room. The room was small and dark with scarred furniture (veneer gone completely in some spots), and the towels were threadbare. A note written on hotel stationary about safety actually stuck to the table when I picked it up and was very crumpled and stained. However, the bathroom was clean and the bed - although the sheets were very wrinkled - also appeared to be clean.

Had we not been hurrying to get to a dinner engagement we would have gone to another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ClaudiaB
Reviewed December 1, 2007

This was my second stay at this Express. It is not the typical Holiday Inn Express. This is an older property, so it does not have all of the extras that most have, like an exercise room or spa (how often do you really use them). The rooms all have exterior doors, so you most likely will have several flights of steps to climb. It also can make for a cold walk down to breakfast in the morning.

My room was clean and comfortable. There is road noise, but just turn on the fan in the ac/heat unit to block that out. I never heard any noise from the other rooms, and it was nearly full every night I was here. The toilet/tub cubicle is small, and the exhaust fan does not work well, but I have been in many hotels that have that problem. Otherwise the room was good size. The breakfast was the usual items, well cared for and kept full. The breakfast area was also clean.

Overall this is a good value.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Staying at this Holiday Inn was tiring. After a long day of sight-seeing, we were ready to crash. The parking situation at this hotel is extremely inconvenient. Because of the shape of the property, there are not enough parking spots close to the room entrances. We had to lug all our belongings more than .1 mile to our room. We couldn't drop off our luggage in front of the room, then find parking because there were too many people circling, trying to find a parking spot, and there wasn't enough room for them to go around us. Elderly or disabled guests, or parents trying to keep track of children, would find this situation challenging.

There were no extra outlets in the room and the internet cord did not reach the desk area. The air-conditioner was difficult to control. Otherwise, the room was clean, the breakfast fare was the usual nice selections, the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harmonyrn
Reviewed August 25, 2007

No little fridges available. Tiny parking lot. Tiny bathroom. No closet. Had to park in next door restaurant's lot. Damp, damp, damp. Did I mention it was damp? The sheets were damp; the towels were damp; the carpet was damp and after one night, our clothes were damp too. The maid had left the shower head pointed out of the shower, so when I stupidly neglected to check it's position before I turned it on, it sprayed me and the toilet and floor with more DAMPNESS. Very inferior. In my opinion, should not be allowed to call itself Holiday Inn Express as all the others I have stayed in (except Seattle) have been superior. Good location, but my stay left me grumpy.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family