All reviewshi expressoutlet mallfront deskpancake makernice hotelbiltmore estatewould stay here againoutdoor poolbreakfast barroom was cleanthe blue ridge parkwaya great place to stayfree breakfastnice breakfastone night stayhot breakfastminute drive
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews and I was very happy with my decision. I had never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I stayed 2 nights and paid $94 for Sunday night and $81 for Monday night. I thought this was a little high but it was spring break and every place else I checked was way over $100 per night. The lobby and eating area is very, very nice. The breakfast was great and had a lot more items then what I expected. The room is your basic hotel room. Bed was great and I really liked the idea of no bedspread, just the blanket in between 2 sheets. After reading articles about how dirty and how many germs are found on hotel comforters and bedspreads I think Holiday Inn has an excellent solution for that problem. It’s great having a soft and a firm pillow on the bed so you have a choice. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were big and fluffy. The carpet looked like it could use a cleaning but otherwise everything was very clean. I really liked that the windows actually could be opened. This hotel is across from the Biltmore Square mall but don’t waste your time going there. It’s mostly empty stores and the Dillards is just a clearance center and not really a store. You can find a bargain if you enjoy looking through racks and racks of stuff.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank TS9999
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I had changed my hotel from the Comfort Suites to this property after reading Trip Advisor reviews panning the Comfort and extolling the HI Express. It lived up to this evaluation as it was clean, affordable, at the end of the freeway ramp, and had a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sliphorn
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Pretty much the same as any other Holiday Inn Express; good room with a comfortable bed, clean and pretty quiet. We were in Asheville in the Biltmore's offseason, which may explain the very good price we got. We booked a normal King room for my wife's parents and the Whirlpool King Room for ourselves. Both rooms had a good bed, TV, fridge, and microwave. Our room had a balcony with a view of a Mall (which was nice, we could pick out a place for dinner from our room). The whirlpool tub was basically a soaking tub with jets (someday we'll find a real two-person tub somewhere we stay!), but we only payed $5 more anyway and the extra space was nice. We used the indoor hot-tub, which was nice and fairly clean.

Location was good, close to shopping, food, and the Biltmore. The roads in Asheville are confusing (make sure you get East and West right, because the major road numbers you intersect are the same either direction!) but that isn't the hotel's fault. The sign can be a bit easy to miss, as it is mixed in with three other hotels right around it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank demigrog
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Although the hotel has been recently renovated and the physical facility is great, it's tough to overlook the negative attitude that seems to permeate the staff.

We booked the hotel through the Biltmore's website, and assumed (incorrectly) that the hotel would have a similar style of gracious hospitality that we've always enjoyed at the Biltmore. We were not expecting anything more than a budget, business-oriented hotel, but from the moment we arrived, we felt as though we were bothering the staff with our very presence.

When we requested a room change (king bed vs. two doubles), the front desk clerk made it clear that he couldn't change the room, since the Biltmore had made the reservation. When we inquired if it involved a price difference (which we were willing to pay), or the hotel was full, he said "no, it's just not possible". After going in circles with him, and not getting a real answer, he changed our room, but made it clear that he didn't like two people in our party of four.

As part of our Biltmore package, we were to pick up Biltmore materials at the hotel. When we inquired about those materials, we were told they were not at the hotel, he couldn't help us, and that we should talk to the people at the Biltmore estate.

During breakfast the next morning, which was inedible, we got to listen to the two breakfast attendants commiserate about the added work they had to do, unwrapping some new equipment that had been sent, while making it clear that there were maintenance people who should do that.

The icing on the cake came at checkout, with the same desk clerk (Scott). As one of our party approached the desk to checkout, the phone rang. Scott said to another clerk, "Perfect timing...you have to take him," loudly enough for us all to hear.

Fortunately the desk staff at the Biltmore estate were outstanding, and handled our ticketing issues very quickly, and with dozens of apologies. They confirmed that the materials had been sent to the hotel the morning prior to our arrival.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Timandfrank
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Hotel was great. Very clean. Staff extremely nice. Room clean and comfortable. Shower head and water pressure excellent. Great Stay and we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple