“Not up to standard”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Huntersville, NC
“Not up to standard”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this property each year at this time for several years. We expect to see a higher than average rate because it is 'foliage' season, however $269.00 a night is ridiculous. For $269 I would expect that 2 adults would warrant more than 2 full size bath towels...and on top of that, the 2 towels we were allotted felt like cardboard. The staff was very busy and the desk seemed under-staffed. We waited at least 10 minutes behind just one other customer to get checked in. We did receive a note of apology with our room reciept from the woman who did finally check us in, which I thought was very considerate. I travel extensively for business, and as a Diamond member have been to many Hilton properties. I will think twice before coming back to this one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cindy S
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Cindy S.

I want to apologize for the lack of service at check in, and that you had to wait. That is never a good thing and I am truly sorry that this happened. I am not sure why there were only 2 bath towels in your room, but you can be certain that I will look into it to see that it does not occur going forward. I have taken the liberty of removing the charge for your room for the evening. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove to you that we can do it right by staying with us again. I will be more than happy to take care of you personally. I will send you an email to confirm this. Best regards, Barbara Kish / GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a great stay at the Hampton Inn in Ashville. We were supposed to have gone to Washington DC on our vacation, but because of the government shutdown, we decided to drive to Ashville. This hotel was very centrally located and the staff was very accommodating. The breakfast was very good, and the breakfast room was kept clean and neat. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank azframe2
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest:
I am glad that Asheville was the alternative to Washington DC for your trip. Thank you for staying with us while you were in our beautiful city, we appreciate your business as we know you could stay anywhere. Again thank you for all of your comments, I will certainly share them with my Team in today's meeting! Safe travels, Barbara Kish / GM
anniston, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a great stay....very nice & clean room and bathroom. The continental breakfast was way beyond our expectations. The staff was very courteous and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. Easy access to the Biltmore Estates and downtown Asheville.

1 Thank Kathy M
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Kathy M.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on our hotel. I appreciate any guest feedback, so that we can strive to provide our guests with what they want / need to enjoy our hotel and their visit to Asheville. You can be certain that I will pass on your comments in our daily meeting. Again, thank you for selecting our hotel and giving us the opportunity to serve you. Happy travels, Barbara Kish / GM
Fairfield, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is spotless. The breakfast is perfect for sit-down or grab and go. We drove 12 hours just to get to this hotel - and it was worth every single minute. The rooms are superb, the pool and hot tub are perfect. We had a great trip and the staff at the Hampton Inn, is the BEST!

1 Thank Christopher W
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Christopher:
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and Team here at Hampton Inn Biltmore Square. It is always gratifying to know that we provided our guests with what they expected and more! Have a wonderful Fall season, and we will be here when you return to Asheville. Barbara KIsh / GM
Atlanta
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Cons:
-We got this room pretty last minute for our anniversary. Unfortunately, the only room left was a smoking one. Granted, we are smokers (although we never smoke inside) - and this room still had an absolutely unbearable smell. It was dingy and VERY strong. They did not have on the AC when you walked in the room either, so it kept a stagnant smell the whole time. So gross.

-Our room was overlooking the indoor pool and around 7am all I could hear were people yelling and running around in the area. WTF. The room is not even close to sound proof. You can hear conversations in the hallway, doors closing, and apparently 7am swimmers.

-The bed was not only way too small for 2 people, but was crazy uncomfortable. Did not sleep well.

-This has nothing to do with the hotel, but it's only a little over 5 miles from downtown Asheville and we were informed it's still about a $30 cab ride. Good to know if you planned on taking one in and out of town.

-Holy moly. Completely, crazily overpriced!!

Pros:
-Great staff. Very warm and helpful.
-CLEAN. Super clean. And I'm a stickler about cleanliness.
-Easy access to the room & to highways to get downtown.
-Plenty of parking.
-Everyone is super friendly and no one really bugs you.

Overall, I would stay here again, just making sure I was not in a smoking room or in anything near the pool area.

Room Tip: Do not get anything looking over the pool. Do not get any smoking rooms!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank papertigerrrr
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Glad we had one last room available when you stopped. This time of year there canbe a shortage of rooms. Sorry it was a smoking room and that the location was not one that was as quiet as you would have liked. Thank you for commenting on our high level of cleanliness and friendliness, our staff takes great pride in our hotel and satisfying our guests. Love that you would stay again should you visit Asheville. When you do please give me a call so that I can personally handle your reservation! Have a great Fall. Barbara Kish / GM
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Upon arriving on a Friday in October, I was told they had no record of my reservation. I was advised to check one of the other Hampton Inns. I persisted in questioning the accuracy of this and the manager on duty was contacted. He indicated that I HAD made a reservation there but they cancelled it because the credit card was declined. I knew this was not possible. He indicated he tried to call the number I left but the area code was incorrect.

As this confusion was unfolding I was aware of others who were being turned away because they had no availability. As a parent who has visited Asheville often in the fall over my daughter's college years here, I am well-aware of how difficult it is to find a room.

The manager gave me a room anyway and took another credit card. Though I was tremendously relieved, I was irritated that something had gone wrong in the process of making the reservation yet the tone at the desk--at that point--communicated that whatever the confusion was, it stemmed from my end of the process.

My husband, from our home, called that bank and confirmed that the account was in good standing and our bank had NO RECORD of The Hampton Inn attempting a charge. Concerned by how his wife was treated, he called the hotel to tell the manager that the mishandling was neither on the part of the bank or the customer but must have originated at the hotel. We're very loyal Hampton Inn customers who've never had an issue before. All he was looking for was an acknowledgment that they mishandled the reservation. Instead, my husband was politely corrected that errors on the hotel's end are unlikely.

I stopped back at the front desk on my way out to dinner. I asked about the credit card number they had tried to run and learned that the number in their computer was entered incorrectly. Again, the manager came out to assist. I explained that I had secured the reason why things went wrong. The desk clerk who took my reservation got BOTH the credit card info and the phone number wrong. I explained that my upset was not so much from the botched reservation but how I, a woman traveling alone and a loyal Hampton Inn customer was dropped so carelessly and came very close to being without a place to stay. I wondered why they hadn't secured the correct area code by using the mailing address I'd left. The manager seemed a bit chagrinned by this point yet focused more on the error of the desk clerk.

My point is that it was NOT the error of the clerk that concerns me so much (these things happen and how they handle this matter with their employees is not my business or concern) My concern is how they handle their costumers. I was not given the benefit off the doubt when the cc didn't go thru. My husband was not given the benefit of the doubt when he called with irrefutable information that the cc account and bank were NOT contributing factors to the mishandling. And even though I, in one last effort to explain that the mistake was on their end, got the manager to acknowledge that it was clerical errors that caused the confusion, that the essence of my complaint stems not from these errors but how he--the manager--handled the customer, was not understood.

1 Thank EEileenOSullivan
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Mrs. O'Sullivan:

How do I begin to apologize for the actions of my Assistant Manager. Especially when it was our fault to begin with. I am glad that he got you into a room, however: if the reservation was made correctly from the beginning this would not have been required. As a Hampton Inn, we stand behind our 100% Guarantee as the foundation of our brand. I have gone in and credited your card for the amount of your bill. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies and when you visit Asheville again, please call me personally so that I can take care of you from start to finish. Have a wonderful Holiday Season filled with warm memories. Barbara Kish / GM
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Everything was great except the price. Average stay was $200 per night. Very troublesome. It should have been in the $80-90 range. Complimentary breakfast was OK but the area it was served in was much too small. You wanted to simply get in and get out which is what I did. I would have liked to have had the eggs and sausage but was willing to stand in line and wait so I simply grabbed a roll and drink and got out of there.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us. I am sorry that you did not want to wait to get the sausage and eggs that we were serving the morning that you stayed with us. This time of year, here in Asheville all of the hotels have similar pricing due to the high demand and such a short period of the Leaf Season. In our off season; the Winter months the hotel prices here in Asheville drop accordingly. I am very sorry that your visit coincided with our high demand season. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I will in turn share them with my owners. Barbara Kish / GM