“Nice room - Just not qute up to Hampton's overall standards”

Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Hampton two nights in August 2012 while I was in town for a golf outing. My wife shopped while I played poor golf. We have stayed in many Hamptons, Hampton Suites, and other Hilton family properties over the past 10 - 15 years. On the positive side, this one, like most Hilton properties, was clean, both inside and on the grounds, and our room was very clean and well appointed. The king size bed was very comfortable. Since this Hampton is not a “suite” hotel, the room, designated as a “King Study” (Room 414) was smaller than we are accustomed to in the Hilton studio or one bedroom suites, but it was fine for our purposes. Most of the hotel staff seemed personable and friendly. The free parking, and complimentary USA Today newspaper, breakfast and Internet access were provided, as I think they are in all Hampton Inns. We were on a non-smoking floor, and it was truly free of smoke smell. The hallways, unlike a lot of hotels, were air conditioned and comfortable as well.

I only rated the hotel 3 stars due to several relatively minor complaints, but when added together, they reduced my rating. I'd rate it 3.5 if I could. Our LG flat screen occasionally shut off for no apparent reason, and it was very difficult at times to get the channels we wanted. I assume there was a problem with the tuner or the remote, but it was sporadic. We were able to deal with it since we watched very little TV anyway. Secondly, our room, which was located overlooking the parking lot and indoor pool roof, had one window (see my photo of the view). Although it had a heavy room-darkening drape that covered most of the window, it was an inch or so short in height, and did not completely block out the light on the bottom or one side. Since the roof over the pool was white, and several parking lot lights are nearby, the light that reflected off the roof and leaked into the room was quite bright - both after dark, and in the early hours of daylight. Since I prefer total darkness when I sleep, the light leak made sleep somewhat difficult for me. My only other complaint was in connection with breakfast. Only three cereals were offered, all for children: Fruit Loops, sugar coated Cheerios, and Raisin Bran. I usually load up on unsweetened Wheaties, Bran Flakes, Grape Nuts, Corn flakes or Rice Crispies, but none were available. Scrambled eggs were available, but were burned up and dry on both days. When my wife asked an attendant if fresh eggs were available, her response, after looking at the brown and yellow dried up mess in the serving container, was “What’s wrong with these?” There was other food available, and I enjoyed the waffles, fruit and coffee.

The interior door to the only elevator was decorated with what I assume is a typical Hampton Inn banner, although I have never seen this specific one before. It pictured a baby wrapped in white bedding, followed by the words “sleep naked” (see my photo), then went on to state how great the bedding is. Cute, but probably not what parents of young children would want to explain to their curious little eyes.

Finally, and this is not a complaint, and did not effect me, but is just an observation for visitors unfamiliar to the area. The “Biltmore Square” part of the name of this hotel is somewhat misleading. Biltmore Village Square is located about 7 miles away from the Hampton Inn Biltmore Square. The hotel is fairly close to the Biltmore Estate property’s western perimeter, but some 7+ miles from the entrance to the Estate and the surrounding Biltmore Village shops.

All in all, a nice hotel, but bring a sleeping blindfold, and your own cereal....

Room Tip: Non-smokers will be happy with the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 275GTB4
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts about your recent stay with us last week. I was happy to learn that you did like the cleanliness and our team. I was sorry to hear about the blackout drape and the light that was able to come through, you can be certain that this is being looked at and will be addressed immediately. We do offer the bulk cereal option, in trying to reduce our hotels carbon footprint, and be as green as we possibly can. That particular morning we probably had those options for cereal, but we co have rice crispies and had you asked one of my breakfast persons they would have been happy to get you a bowl. The eggs: I apologize for the hostess response to you, that was not apropriate and I am sorry. The elevator wrap that you commented on, is one that has recently been issued to Hampton Inns when our wraps become old and worn. We have received a lot of positive comments about it, but I can see your point as well. Again thank you for your comments, and if you find yourself in Asheville again, I would appreciate the opportunity to show you and your family that we can do it right! Please give me a call so that I can take care of you personally. Yours in Hospitality, Barbara Kish/ GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here three nights while in Asheville and had a good stay from check in to check out. Nice and friendly front desk and anxious to accommodate requests. Beds very comfortable and nice clean bathroom. Breakfast food is typical hotel continental which isn't my favorite but the coffee is good in room as well as downstairs. Good wifi in room. Will definately stay again (but go elsewhere for breakfast.)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Mary
Thank you for your comments about our hotel, it's rooms,the cleanliness and especially our team! I love the fact that you stayed with us 3 days, so you were able to see that we genuinely love our guests and taking care of them! We will be here for you when you return to our wonderful city! Have a great rest of the summer and may all of your travels be safe ones. Barbara Kish / GM

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a clean, comfortable, and quiet hotel that is run well by a friendly and helpful staff. We were just here overnight one night but were impressed by everyone we encountered. We've spent quite a bit of time in Asheville in the past and this would be a great place to stay to visit Biltmore.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
MountianMagic, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - I-26 Biltmore Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Jason,
Hello neighbor! Thanks for coming down the mountain. On behalf of my entire team here at Hampton Inn / Biltmore Square I want to thank you first for selecting our hotel and secondly for taking the time to mention your experience with us here on Trip Advisor. Jason, we look forward to seeing you and your family again, and you are right, we are a great place to stay to see the Biltmore Estate, check out the package that we offer! It is an awesome deal. Have a great Summer. Barbara Kish / GM

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family stayed here recently, and I can't say enough good things about it! We were warmly greeted late by a staffer that understood that we were exhausted and were a little "needy." We were impressed by how clean and modern the facility was, and they have a great CLEAN indoor pool that our kids loved! It was quiet, well managed, and impeccably maintained. The free breakfast was just your average somewhat tasteless food..but hey..it's free. We will definitely stay at this property again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Sanslark:
Thank you for selecting us to be your first review as well as your home away from home while you were here in Asheville! I am glad that we were here when you arrived exhausted and a bit needy, We specialize in that! Loved that your children had a great time in our pool and that you found that area as well as our rooms very clean. This is our promise to all of our guests and we do not take that for granted. Have a wonderful rest of the Summer and thank you again for selecting us! Barbara Kish / General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent two nights here and enjoyed our stay. The room was clean. The food at breakfast was so surprisingly good! Only downside was that our view was that of the front overhang of the front of the hotel. There was mold everywhere (thank goodness it was outside).

Room Tip: Don't have a view of the front of the moldy hotel overhang.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stupjansky
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for your honesty in your comments about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast selections while you were with us. Pam ouir Breakfast Host does a great job keeping everything well stocked, fresh and clean. This is reflected in our 102 % score by our Health Department! Thank you for pointing out the black marks on the roof overhang that was viewed as you looked our your window. At this point I think that it may be a worn roof membrane. we are in the process of investigating this and solving the issue thanks to you and your comments! have a great summer and safe travels...Sincerely, Barbara Kish / General Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for 2 nights, and then the neighboring Marriott Fairfield Inn for 2 nights (both places were great), while visiting family in the Asheville area. I liked the fact that this Hampton has 2 Queen beds, rather than full size beds. However, their towels and sheets were not nearly as soft and comfortable as Fairfield's. They also did not have a micro/fridge combo, which would have been nice. The breakfast in the mornings were very good, although the area was rather crowded and full of loud children. It was 4th of July weekend, though, so I guess that is to be expected ;) Staff were friendly and accommodating.

Overall, a very pleasant stay, with the quality and comforts one usually finds with Hampton Inns.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicoleCincy
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Nicole:
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We value all comments and take them to heart. You were right over the 4th of July we did have a lot of families staying with us as a part of their celebration. Again, thank you for your comments and we will look forward to seeing you again if your travels bring you to Asheville again. Travel safe and be adventurous! Barbara Kish / GM