“Very Nice Stay”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We chose this hotel based on other reviews on Tripadvisor and were very happy with the accommodations. Very easy access to the Highway and to downtown and the Biltmore The staff was helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean and quiet. I did have a little trouble with the 5th floor drink vending machine, but finally got what I needed. Not having been to the area before we were not sure if a downtown hotel would be noisier, and as there was a music festival going on (April 24, 2014) we were glad to be out of the downtown area, although we enjoyed dinner and a short stroll downtown. And chocolate from the French Broad! Breakfast at the Hampton was adequate--good choice and well stocked in a clean and comfortable setting. The lobby had guests playing cards both evenings we were there and offered a very comfortable, and welcoming atmosphere. The beds were very comfortable and the shower nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jm Z
AndreaCoon, Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hampton Inn Tunnel Road. I am very happy to see that we met your expectations - and I hope we surpassed them! We are proud that our guests feel comfortable enough to use our space the same as they would their own living room. I hope you decide to stay with us on your next trip to Asheville. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road.
Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Besides the beautiful location and comfortable hotel here, I wanted to COMPLIMENT the Most Helpful and Courteous Staff that I ever encountered. They are: Mngr. Matt, Lydia, Reggie, Patrick,Calli,Naim.

Room Tip: Front rooms best for viewing the mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elmer01

Elmer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. We pride ourselves on having some of the best staff in Asheville! From our housekeepers to our management team, we try our very best to ensure every guest has the best stay possible. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We wanted a hotel that was close to the University as my daughter was attending a conference there. This Hampton Inn was only about a ten minute drive from there. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel is. The beds were very comfortable, and we had a refrigerator and microwave in the room which came in handy during our stay. It is also in the middle of many nice chain restaurants and only a couple minutes away from downtown Asheville, where you can find lots of special restaurants and shopping. The hotel also offered a free shuttle that runs downtown to drop you off and pick you up! That is a real bonus, as parking downtown can be tricky, especially on the weekends. The shuttle stops at 9:30 p.m., though, so be aware if you are going out in the evening. One word of warning, though: The driveway up to the hotel is quite steep. On the way down, there is a sign that says you should not attempt driving on it if there is inclement weather, such as ice and snow. As far as we could determine, that was the only way in and out of the hotel, so if there is ice, we're not sure how you would leave! Luckily we didn't have to worry about this in May. And there may be another way out that we didn't see. Just keep it in mind. But we were very happy there. The staff was warm and friendly, and we would definitely stay there again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank FLParrotlady

Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. Our surroundings are great for our guests to enjoy the comforts of home or for guests to venture out and try something local. Our courtesy shuttle is one of our most popular amenities that we offer - our guests love it! While the last call for shuttle pick-ups is 9:30pm, a taxi ride back to the hotel is fairly reasonable. Our driveway is high priority in the winter months and we do our best to ensure the drive way is clear and safe for all guests to travel into and out of the hotel. As far as our staff, we pride ourselves on having some of the best people around! It is so important to have strong friendly people at the hotel to help make sure every guest has the best stay possible. I want to thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road and we hope to see you on your next trip through Asheville!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We arrived in Asheville desiring to experience mountain views and great food. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Tunnel Road. Patrick and Reggie greeted us at the entrance and both offered tips on their favorite restaurants and sites to see. Matt was very helpful and Leroy went the extra mile to make sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was great and Alounda made sure our room was clean. We visited Asheville because we felt the city would have a great vibe and it did not disappoint. Friendly locals, incredible views and excellent food. We are definitely coming back to visit and would not hesitate to stay again at this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LawNic

Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to Asheville! Was this your first time visiting the city? I am happy to see that our staff was helpful and provided you with everything you may need. We pride ourselves on having outstanding staff and operate as a family - which translates to a better experience for our guests! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon! Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel is exceptionally maintained, staff and management are very friendly and I can always count on this location meeting my expectations. The rooms are standard in size but very comfortable. Includes mini fridge and microwave and their hot breakfast in the morning is of good quality. The lobby area is very cozy and welcoming. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are always very clean. I visit this location at least once a year and always stay at this location.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank Noelle J
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Noelle,
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property - and such nice comments! I am so happy to hear that we have not only exceeded your expectations but in doing so, you became a repeat guest! I feel we are very lucky to have an amazing staff. We work very hard - from housekeeping to management - to make sure that every room is cleaned and every guest has the best experience possible. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This hotel was a mix of good and bad. The room itself was nice, but seemed to be an average Hampton Inn room, but at twice the cost one might expect pay for it. The folks at check in were nice and the check-in went smoothly. After checking in we had to wait a bit to get to our floor because the hotel has only one elevator servicing the building. The wait for an elevator wasn't too long, but I did wonder why just one elevator for an entire hotel. Once we got to the room, the room itself was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is not within walking distance of anything downtown Asheville, but does offer a shuttle service. I highly advise not counting on the shuttle service. It is only a small van and when I was going to sign up to use the shuttle it was booked for an hour out. I wisely decided to just take my own car downtown and easily found a parking garage. Asheville is a nice city and we had a good visit to the nearby Biltmore Mansion on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I did not get time to use the pool or enjoy the hot breakfast so I cannot comment on those amenities. I have no reason to think either would have been less than first class. Since the room was clean and comfortable, I could have easily given it a 4 rating had it not been for the housekeeping staff. I paid over $200.00 for one night in this room and the check-out time was supposed to be 12:00 noon. At just after 10:00 am, even though I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door, the housekeeper was knocking on the door yelling "housekeeping". When I told her through the door that we needed more time she went away, but I could hear her telling the other housekeeper that she would be done for the day once my room was finished. I don't feel the housekeeper should be knocking on my door before check-out time when I have a "do not disturb" sign on my door...especially when I'm paying well over what the room is worth to start with. To put the price of this room in perspective, as I am writing this review, I'm staying in a name brand hotel just outside Washington DC for just over half the price this Hampton Inn room cost me in Asheville, North Carolina. I was also able to stay in an almost identical room at a Hampton Inn in Carlsbad, California, just a short drive from the beach for less than this room in Asheville, North Carolina. Combine the high price for an average Hampton room (not a suite) with the housekeeping staff ignoring my "do not disturb" sign on the door and I can't in good conscious give my stay better than a 3 rating.

Room Tip: There really isn't a view of anything from the back of the hotel. I cannot comment on what migh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. First, I would like to apologize that housekeeping knocked on your door before check-out time. You are absolutely right. That is against our policy and should not have happened. I will address this with my entire housekeeping staff. I have extended the 100% Hampton guarantee and reversed the charges on your credit card for the night that you stayed with us. You should see the credit on your next statement. Second, we do have two elevators; One at each end of the building. Our front desk generally points guests in the direction of the elevator closest to their room. Lastly, our rates are very competitive with comparable hotels in our market. As a destination area it is difficult to compare our rates to hotels in other markets that have business demands. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on future visits to Asheville. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Andrea Coon
(828) 255-9220

Reviewed May 4, 2014

After a 7 hour drive from DC we found ourselves surrounded by a very professional and caring staff that not only ushered us to our room but also provided us with dining tips... Asheville is famous for its many and varied restaurants. We followed the lead of the Inn's resident "foodie" and were shuttled off to exactly what we were expecting. The shuttle then provided transport back to the Inn. As expected with a Hampton property, the room was spacious and clean.
We will stay here again on our next adventure and explore another restaurant. The Inn is easily accessible from the interstate system.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marieandjefftravel

Marie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We are very fortunate to have some of the best staff in Asheville. They are extremely knowledgeable about their city and love to give great recommendations to local restaurants. I see you took advantage of our courtesy shuttle - one of the many amenities we offer to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to Asheville. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road.