“Happy staff.”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Very nice hotel, well placed for downtown Asheville, Biltmore estate and just across road from Asheville mall. What I'll remember most about this hotel is the happy and helpful reception staff. Good complimentary breakfast provided each morning. Room was clean and spacious. Smallish but nice pool area and fitness centre. Hotel does not charge for parking which nowadays is a welcome rarity. Plenty restaurants / bars close by..some within walking distance, although Tunnel road at that point can be very busy . If I'm ever back in the area I would head straight for this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road

Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed two nights at the Hampton Inn on Tunnel Road as part of a visit to Biltmore. It was pleasant enough, but is showing a little bit of age, especially in the hallways. Our room was near the pool (we had a whirlpool in the room so that explains why), and the hallway did have a faint smell of chlorine.

The room itself was fine, complete with the new bed covers which are standard across many of the Hilton family properities.

The pool and hot tub were also fine, but there seemed to be a shortage of chairs. There were also a couple of hotel rooms which had direct pool access, in case that's something one would want.

The breakfast area was very busy the first day, but they made a point to keep everything stocked. This was the first time I came across the packaged microwave meal system that Hampton is implementing. I had a sausauge biscuit which was serviceable, but a step below the Jimmy Deans offered at Fairfield which is in the same pricepoint.

The staff was courteous, but didn't know a great deal about local restaurants. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to Biltmore and they provide printed directions. There's also a shopping mall a short drive away and some good local and chain eating places.

The price was a little steep for Hampton, but in this case you're paying tourist prices. It certainly is a reasonable choice.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I booked this hotel online early last week, received my confirmation number and then cancelled the reservation online later that same day. I received a cancellation number and email as a result. I looked at my credit card online statement on Monday to find that they had charged me $200 as a no show. My room was cancelled and I had confirmation of it from THEIR system but they will not make this right. Beware!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Jayce421
AshevilleHamptonGM2, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2009

I am sorry to read about your experience. I want to make this right, please contact me at the hotel with your cancellation number and I will immediately correct this error.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrea Behrens- General Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2008

Rate quoted at booking was higher than rate quoted to another visitor at check-in (for the same room). Breakfast area was congested and did not flow smoothly. The new "pre-packaged" and frozen "breakfasts" Hampton's are offering are really sub-standard, not at all healthy and use a tremendous amount of paper, styrofoam and plastic.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank triptoes
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I stayed here one Sunday night for work purposes. This hotel is definitely not as good as most Hampton Inns where I've stayed.

The room is large and the bed is comfortable, but the TV's remote control didn't work, there were no bags in the garbage bins, and it was tough to find extra electrical outlets for laptop/cell phone charger/etc.

Walls are fairly thin, too. Breakfast was good and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business

Dear Melanie,

Thank you for being our guest during your trip to Asheville, NC and for taking the time to write a review. We truly value the feedback we receive and use it to continually improve our guest's experience. We have recently upgraded all of our televisions to the new flat panels. We would love the opportunity to serve you on your next trip to the Asheville area!

Andrea Behrens

Reviewed June 4, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for 5 nights in May-June. The hotel is nice but not as nice as some other Hamptons I have stayed in before.

The room was ok. The carpet looked liked it was not as clean as it could have been. The beds were great!!

The breakfast area was clean and not crowed at all. The breakfast offerings were very good, all except their microwave items. The pancakes were like cardboard and the items were just not very tasty. Other Hamptons I have stayed at had full breakfasts already cooked and delicious. Hamptons need to get together and do something about these microwave items. All in all the Hampton on Tunnel Road was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2008

For a few bucks extra, we chose the Jacuzzi room. After a day walking around Biltmore, we were happy to have it. The room was reasonably clean – not immaculate, but livable. There’s some grout missing in the bath room. Even though the carpet ends a ½ inch from the wall, it looked new. The wall paper and drapes also looked new. Our room was quiet even though it was close to the ice machine, pool and sauna. To me, quiet is a really a huge plus.

Over Packers may have a problem putting stuff away. There isn’t much storage, just one closet and 3 drawers. The bath is very small with almost no space at all. I think the Jacuzzi is taking up most of the allotted space in there.

I’ve never cared for Hampton breakfasts. I must say, this Hampton's breakfast was better than usual. There was a choice of 3 nuke yer own mini breakfast entrees. Mmm, frozen breakfast.

One really nice thing was the 5 page listing of near by restaurants. It’s in alphabetical order with cuisine type, price range, phone numbers and driving directions.

Despite its few faults, this Hampton is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple