“good price, great service, perfect location”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel 12/27-12/30. We checked in and they had us in room 122 which was right by the indoor pool ( I walked in the room went right to the window and saw about 5 kids right outside the window yelling screaming). I turned around went right back to the front desk and asked for another room, they only had one more available so we ended up in 126 which is near the pool but you can't really hear a lot and people are not right outside your window. I think the design of the 1st floor rooms right up on the pool like that is very poor not unless you want to check and see if the pool is crowded (not much privacy at all and it's LOUD). People were def taking advantage of the indoor heated pool/spa considering it was cold outside. I sat in the hot tub a few nights until it started to get overly crowded. I didn't expect an adults only hotel or anything but it was probably the most kids I have ever seen in a hotel at one time, they were everywhere (could have just been the holiday break but you may want to keep that in mind if you are looking for more adults) The hotel must have been booked to it's fullest because the breakfast area in the AM was the busiest I have ever seen a Hampton Inn breakfast, it was unreal how busy it was (I had to take my plate back to my room because there were no seats all 3 mornings around 8:30/9:00. As far as the food it was decent for FREE but they run out of breakfast meats almost daily so you are pretty much stuck with scrambled eggs, waffles and the other basic stuff like cereal, muffins etc. The room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable, as for the AC/HEAT unit I could not get it set to a comfortable temp. I would turn the heat on around 70 and it would get so HOT in there so pretty much I kept it on cool mode and just bumped it up to like 78. The shuttle service might be the best thing this hotel has going for it besides the location and pretty decent price. Reggie was our shuttle driver each time downtown and he is actually the guy at the front desk (guess he gets to drive the shuttle also at times because the manager has to stay back I was told). What a great guy Reggie was and full of information about where to eat or hang out each time he dropped us off. We took the shuttle downtown 2 nights and got picked up both times before 9:30 (when shuttle stops). Each time we tipped Reggie between $2-$5 because the way I looked at it was a cab to/from downtown 4 times would have easily been $40 +. We drove to the Grove Park in our own car but of course the day after we found out the shuttle will take you and pick you up at the Grove Park Inn also so I HIGHLY recommend that because it will cost you $10 to park at the Grove Park Inn and it is VERY tricky getting in and out of there. The staff at this hotel is def a plus for them because everyone was so nice always saying hey and willing to help with anything (keep up the great customer service). We also purchased Biltmore tickets through the front desk and they were $59 each for a 2 day ticket so I would buy them there instead of at the Biltmore. It is a VERY steep hill getting up to the hotel so be prepared for that if it's ice/snow and the walk down to your car is a little tricky as well. Most of our experiences may have been just because of how busy it was and the time of year we went so it may not be like this all the time. Overall I would say this is a decent hotel for the location and price so I would recommend it.

Room Tip: stay on the 3rd floor or up because a good amount of the 1st and 2nd floor rooms are right up on the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank surfnc25
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate you with a room that was farther away from the pool. The week between Christmas and New Year's is typically a busy one due to families traveling. I am also sorry to hear that all of the seating was taken up when you joined us for breakfast each morning. We do have limited seating in our pool area that is one of our well-kept secrets. I am happy to hear that you took advantage of our shuttle service! We like to provide our guests with as many amenities as possible and find the shuttle to be a very valuable one. We pride ourselves on having knowledgeable staff who know their city and I am happy to hear that they did not fail you. I want to thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road on your recent trip to Asheville and hope you visit us again on your next trip!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our stay at this hotel was great...it was very clean, great location and amazing staff! Patrick happily greeted us at the front desk and informed us of pertinent information. He had no issues in changing our room for us as it was right next to the stairs and elevators. We were impressed with the shuttle service which ran from morning until 9:30pm anywhere in downtown Asheville. Patrick drove us that evening and provided delightful conversation...thanks for welcoming us Patrick! The maintenance/cleaning gentleman was also terrific, I cannot remember his name, but we had great conversation as well...he was from Johnson City, TN and use to live in Knoxville years ago. We go to Asheville at least once a year and will not stay anywhere else! Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saij M

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent stay at our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience at our hotel! We pride ourselves on having knowledgeable and friendly staff and I am glad they met your needs during your stay. I will be sure to share your compliments with our team. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Tunnel Road and we hope to see you again next year on your next trip through town!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Spent one night in Asheville to enjoy the Christmas lights at Biltmore. Would definitely stay at Hampton Inn-Tunnel Road again. Nice location. Close to shopping and dining. Few short minutes from downtown. Room was very nice and CLEAN! Staff were very courteous--even received a confirmation call the day before to ask if there was anything we would like before we arrived. Now that's customer service! Already planning our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa E
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel was placed in a perfect location. Only five minutes from all important areas in Asheville such as the Biltmore, downtown and an amazing mall just across the street. The room was clean and the breakfast hearty. My family and I will definitely be back.

1  Thank Inessa M
AndreaCoon, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We strive to make sure that every guest has a great experience, and I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourself while staying in our hotel. Our housekeepers do an excellent job keeping the rooms clean and making sure that every guest has fresh bed linen. Hope to see you and your family back in Asheville soon. Have a great day!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Purchased vacation package through the Biltmore website. Website offered several choice of hotels so I checked on-line reviews before making a selection. Most people seemed generallly pleased with this hotel so I slected it. I travel a bit for business, so I stay in my share of hotels. I have to admit that this is one of the nicer hotels I have stayed in recently. One of my pet peeves is noisy HVAC with dust covered coils. The room my family stayed in was immaculate. I plan on visiting the Biltmore again and will definately book this hotel again.

1  Thank William K
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is our second stay at this hotel and we have been very pleased with the facilities and the staff. During our last visit my wife left her IPad which the staff held at the front desk until my son could pick it up. This action is typical of the character of the service oriented personnel. We will certainly return.

1  Thank DonCarlos96

Thank you Mr. Carlos for writing your review. We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel twice to stay at while you visit Asheville. I am so glad that we were able to retrieve your ipad and get it back to you in a timely matter. We always want to make sure that every guest is secure in knowing that if they leave something behind, we will get it back to them as fast as we can. We hope to see you soon, and let us know if there is anything that we can do for you during your next visit. Have a great day!

Matt Stasiowski

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Overall the hotel was a top notch Hampton Inn. The staff was very friendly and anxious to be helpful. The rate was reasonable and it's only a 10 min drive to the Biltmore estate. The hotel is also near a mall if you have the urge to shop, and there is easy access to and from the highway. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: In any hotel I would avoid a room very near the elevator. The sound of people coming in late at nig...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M

Thank you so much for your warm review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay while visiting Asheville. I see that you got to enjoy Biltmore, and I am happy to hear that our staff was friendly and courteous to you. I am sorry to hear that the elevator was a little loud during your stay. Please let us know in the future if you are near the elevator and we will get you moved to a room with less noise. Once again thank you for staying at the Hampton inn. Have a great day!
Matt Stasiowski