“Good location, good hotel”

Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This was my second Hampton Inn stay this week - the other was in Pine Knoll Shores. I appreciate the consistency between the hotels: breakfast, bedding, rooms were comparable. When I travel in the future I'll definitely book stays at a Hampton Inn.

We reserved a king room with sleeper sofa. It was very comfortable and clean. There was no refrigerator in the room, but other than that we had everything we needed. In addition to the in-room coffee maker, coffee is always available in the lobby.

The hot breakfast bar is available from 6-10. We appreciated the early hour! In addition to the usual continental breakfast items you often find, we had scrambled eggs and other cooked items. It felt like a substantial meal, good for folks on a low-carb diet.

One comment: we booked a room labeled as "pool view." When we opened our curtains we were literally staring into the indoor pool facility which is open from 8-10. Other guests were relaxing in pool chairs right outside our window. The fitness center is in there also. We never felt like we could have our curtains open. The pool did close promptly at 10 each night, so noise was not a problem for sleeping. If you are an early-to-bed sort of person, or if you like to have your drapes open to get the sunlight, don't book a pool view room! Everything else about the room met our expectations.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
AshevilleHamptonGM2, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our breakfast met your dietary needs. I understand how important that is. During our room renovations later this year we will be adding microwaves and refrigerators as amenities in our rooms. We hope you will come visit us again.

Andrea Coon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed March 30, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Asheville-Tunnel Road for one night on Saturday October 30, 2010 when I was attending Moogfest. The first room I checked into was on the 2nd or 3rd floor on the same side of the hotel as the indoor pool. I could smell the chlorine from the pool in my room and asked to be moved to another room. The next room was fine. The hotel looked a little dated like it could use a remodel. The are plenty of mostly chain restaurants in the Tunnel Road area but it really isn't very walkable as compared to downtown Asheville. I paid 134.00 dollars for the room (AAA Rate) which I thought was a little much but Moogfest was happening.
The front desk was helpful in with directions and getting a cab downtown. Getting a cab back later that night would prove extremely difficult. If I go back to Moogfest I will probably try to get a hotel in the downtown area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank wanderlust1966

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. It is always our goal to exceed our guests expectations and I am sorry that we did not reach that goal during your stay. We are going to be completely renovating our rooms and should be finished by spring. We would love to have another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to the Asheville area. I am sure that you will love the improvements!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed here due to a good experience at a Hampton Inn in Chattanooga earlier on the trip. It was the luck of the draw that we were in town during a large high school (?) sports event. The hotel was pretty well packed, and since the lobby renovations led to the complimentary continental breakfast being served in a small side room, it was not easy to find a place to sit. We were generally able to avoid the lobby renovations by using, at the receptionist's suggestion, a rear elevator closer to our room, but that elevator was also used by the housekeeping staff, so waits were common at certain hours. I noticed after we checked in that the ventilation fan in the bathroom was on at all times, not just when the light was turned on. At my request, a maintenance worker checked it out, and even went up on the roof to see if there was a problem with the ventilation system, but finally informed me (through the front desk, not directly), that the vent was not making any "unusual" sound. Wrong. I had to use ear plugs to sleep. To their credit, the front desk did offer to move us to a nearby Homewood Suites, and said they'd ask that hotel to honor our rate of about $72 plus tax, but by tht time we had unpacked and didn't want to move. We stayed two nights, and then moved. Except for the vent, and some of the athletes making noise in the hal;lway (not the hotel's fault), the hotel was fairly quiet, and was further from the interstate than were neighboring hotels. I am a Hilton Honors member.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and for staying with us during our lobby renovation. I would love to invite you back to see our beautiful new lobby and enjoy our new breakfast. I am sure that you will love it! We would be honored to have another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to the Asheville area.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

The newly renovated lobby and breakfast area are done in great style! The entire staff could not have been more helpful and courteous in pointing out the places not to miss and giving me great restaurant reviews on healthy eating. The rooms were very spacious and the beds were great, as was the bathroom lighting for makeup. Cookies are great and the coffee bar is always freshly brewed. I would like hard-boiled eggs but that was the only thing lacking in the breakfast-it was always quickly replenished. I just can't say enough good things about the staff and the hotel's cleanliness-we usually stay at B&B's but we felt the friendliness of one at this Hampton!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cohan_diane
AshevilleHamptonGM2, General Manager at Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

I am thrilled that you love our lobby renovations. We are very proud of our new look and new space but knowing that our guests love it is what really matters most to us. I will share your warm comments with our staff. They always love to get good feedback. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you during your trip to Asheville. We would love to see you again soon!

Andrea Behrens - Coon

Reviewed March 18, 2011

I came to Asheville for a Tourism Meeting - most colleagues stayed at a local resort. Our team stayed here at the Hampton Inn. Even though the lobby was being remodeled the rooms were very clean and nice. The staff was thoughtful as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MasterCheif

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Asheville. I am glad that you had a great experience with us. Our lobby renovations are complete and I am sure that you will love the new look and the spacious breakfast area. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again when you return to the Asheville area.

Andrea Behrens-Coon

Reviewed February 27, 2011

The staff were extremely friendly. The room and bathroom were spotless, but the beds and pillows were not comfortable. The lobby was under renovation, which we knew when we booked the room. They did a good job of serving the normal Hampton breakfast in the extremely small temporary space. The location is convenient to the Biltmore Estate and downtown Asheville, but ingress and egress can be a little tricky.

When we checked out, the desk worker asked how our stay was. I told her, "It was okay, but the beds were not comfortable." She said our room (507) had new beds, and that she would make a note of my comment. Even if the beds were new, they were not very comfortable. The beds and pillows were not up to the standards of other Hampton Inns we have visited. My wife also noticed a smoke smell in the non-smoking room; perhaps the room had been converted from a smoking room.

Overall, this location didn't live up to Hampton's marketing of 100% satisfaction. Next time we're in Asheville, we'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Very nice hotel with friendly staff. Will stay here again. Very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank letsgo1111

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to Asheville. I am glad that you had a great experience and hope that you will visit us again soon.

Andrea Behrens-Coon