“Another great stay in Asheville and the Haywood Park!!”
Review of Haywood Park Hotel

Haywood Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This past weekend was our second annual trip to Asheville and the Haywood Park to celebrate our anniversary. Our only regret continues to be that we spent 16 anniversaries elsewhere before we got it right last year. We have already booked our weekend for next year! If you want to be in downtown Asheville, there is no better location in the city. As for the hotel itself, we have always been very pleased with the service and the staff. I must say after a 4+ hour drive, a glass of champagne at check in is very nice as is the complimentary valet service. If you can swing it, check out the Grand Suite which is an amazing suite (huge!!) with the best views. We are not particularly needy guests but for the few times we needed anything, the staff was very prompt, knowledgeable and courteous.
If you like an eclectic, gritty and diverse urban scene with unique local shops, restaurants and cultural outlets, then downtown Asheville is the place for you and the Haywood Park Hotel is the perfect gateway to it all. We are already looking forward to next year's stay!!

Room Tip: The Grand Suite is amazing!!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel is amazing! Wonderful staff and excellent customer service! Booked the Master King Suite and the views were fabulous of the night skyline overlooking downtown. So easy to walk everywhere to explore. Just can't say enough as no details were left untouched. From Guest Services staff to housekeeping and the valet, everyone was so friendly and helpful. Loved the bathroom, the bed was so comfy, and the turndown chocolates divine. Wonderful and quiet space! Will definitely return.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Let me preface this review by stating how horribly disappointed we were with downtown Asheville...it really lacks luster. The dining options are suboptimal, the shopping is subpar, and I cannot tell you how many times we were confronted by homeless citizens. I wish we had stayed closer to the Biltmore or on the grounds.

The Haywood Park Hotel used to be a downtown department store. The rooms are huge with decent amenities. Upon arrival, we were supposed to receive complimentary champagne. But, I suppose since I insisted on parking my own car in the parking garage of the hotel, depriving the bellman of a tip for assistance, we weren't worthy. The garage for the hotel required quite a distance of walking and taking a separate elevator to get back to the lobby to take the elevator up to the room.

There is a restaurant located right off the lobby. We had breakfast there one morning, and it was simply horrible. The next morning we ate breakfast at a different restaurant across the street that didn't open until 9:00 AM on a Sunday morning!! As we were departing downtown Asheville later that morning, I noticed an encampment of homeless citizens under the interstate ramp.

Western North Carolina is a beautiful place, especially in the autumn. Don't spoil its grandeur by staying in downtown Asheville!!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel (not downtown!)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BES1972
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The biggest advantage to this hotel is the location, you can walk anywhere in the city without the hassle of searching for a parking space, which can be nearly impossible during busy times of the year. So paying a little more to be in the heart of things can be well worth it.

I was somewhat forced to book their king suite because I was staying one night and they said the hotel was nearly full - although the hotel seemed quiet and the parking deck was half empty. But.... the room was incredible with city views and an awesome bed, I felt like a queen. The only negative remark I have to mention is, for such a luxury room, the shower was absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a pleasant view if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed at Haywood Park Hotel for a mini-vacation (4 days) and had a great experience. Great location, nice hotel. Very professional staff at Front Desk Clerk (Hotel Manager, greet us when we arrived, she was very professional and friendly. Front Desk Clerk, Cherry assisted us with general recommendations as to restaurants, bars, general city attractions... Cherry, thanks for your help, you were great!!! Our room was beautiful with a nice, huge and very clean bathroom... thanks to housekeeping personnel. Will go back to Asheville during the Summer of 2012 and will stay at the Haywood Park Hotel and defenitly recommend to family and friends... Great Hotel & Nice Personnel, very nice place to stay......Thanks

Reviewed October 27, 2011

My husband & I wanted to see more of the downtown Asheville area, and this turned out to be the perfect location for walking. Our bell man gave us fantastic recommendations to local brew pubs, restaurants, and more. Our room was huge & the bathroom was fantastic. We didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: There are four floors, and we had a view from the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2011

As a follow up to my previous stay at the Haywood Park Hotel. (see Post by Wolfbred July 6, 2010) my family decided to visit Asheville again and recalling our initial dismal experience, I reflected on the very apologetic manager at that time who asked that I call her directly in the future as she would personally make my arrangements and she hoped I would give the hotel another chance . She went on to tempt me with offering a nights’ stay in the future at no charge.
Remembering these previous conversations , I called the manager after ten o’clock in the morning using the cell phone number she gave me and introduced myself in order to refresh her memory, and mentioned the previous experiences I had .I told her I was calling about making arrangements for two rooms. The manager told me that she was on her way to a meeting and would call me back around noon to see what they had available. (I had already gone on line to review the vacancies which were several ).
I asked her to call my office as I would be at work all day and left my number with her.
At one thirty and having received no call form the hotel manager. I called the manager’s number, got her answer phone, and left a message to call me regarding arrangements.
At three thirty I called the main desk at the Haywood Park and was in the process of obtaining two rooms when I mention to the very helpful attendant that I had previously called the manager in order to make arrangements earlier but she never called back. He politely asked that I hold on that she was there and he would speak to her. He returned to the phone and said, she will call you back in a few minutes”.
I never heard from her.
I got home around five o’clock in the afternoon and there was a call on my answer phone rather than my office phone as I had requested.
A lady in a foreign accent after giving her name, informed me that she was a “co-owner” of the Haywood Park Hotel and that they did not want my business, and abruptly hung up.
That was the end of the message and in my mind solidified my feeling s concerning this hotel.
I found it interesting that the Haywood Park had vacancies when all of the other “upper scale” hotels did not as this is peak season time for the fall foliage.
I also find it interesting that the Haywood Park is now allowing guests to bring their animals.
I find it interesting that the hotel management / owners can disallow a potential customer for no apparent reason other than lodging a very valid complaint about being moved to three separate rooms in one night, getting to bed at just before 4:00 am or later, just before rising early for a lengthy trip home the next day.
I find it interesting that the original promises and apologies by the management of the Haywood Park Hotel are meaningless and empty words made only to pacify the customer at the time.
I could never in good faith ever recommend this Hotel to anyone.
I look forward to the Haywood Park Hotel response to this review as I have maintained copious records and now recorded phone messages regarding this entire incident.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family