“Warm, relaxing and peaceful”

The Inn at Tomichi Village
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Gunnison
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Well, This place is a gem in the middle of beautiful Colorado., I am from Brooklyn N.Y. and wanted to escape this insane city and my passion is hiking, I often go on trips to search for new trails, and I always stay in hotels or motels after a days hike. Man, what a nice surprise this place gave me. I expected the usual, But instead, I found the nicest clean beds, USB chargers by my desk, Great view of a nice snow covered peak, Huge warm pool with nice music, A hot tub, lots of clean and crisp towels,modern and stylish desk lamps and the best free breakfast ever. While enjoying my breakfast, the manager happened to walk by and said hello, I used the opportunity to comment on the fresh breakfast, and I felt genuinely welcomed by him, He also mentioned that in the summer, they have outdoor events by the courtyard. Next summer I'm planing on conquering some bike trails by this area, An I want to be there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Alejandro G, General Manager at The Inn at Tomichi Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Navor,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Inn. We hope to see you again when you next find your way to the beautiful state of Colorado!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

What can I say about this wonderful hidden gem in the city of Gunnison? Simply amazing! I was traveling back to Denver when I was informed that Monarch Pass was closed due to an avalanche. I researched the local hotels/motels in the area and decided I would stay at The Inn at Tomichi. I couldn't have been happier with my decision!! This motel was warm and inviting and I would recommend it to anyone needing a quite comfortable room for the night or a serene relaxing place to stay for a weekend getaway. The rooms were beautifully updated and had small, yet wonderful personal touches added to them such as the rubber duckies in the bathroom and the pine cones artistically displayed in the sleeping area. The bedding was extremely comfortable and warm. I appreciated this because it was cold that weekend and there is nothing worse than having thin comforters on a cold night. Even though it was cold I used the indoor pool and Jacuzzi...perfect temperature! Plus they had extra towels and a very clean shower facility for the guests to use before leaving the pool area. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to my needs. After a long day I can say with confidence I had one of the best nights of sleep in a long while thanks in part to the comfortably soothing atmosphere of The Inn at Tomichi. In the morning I woke up and went and had a delightfully delicious breakfast which was warm, fresh and filling. Once again I was amazed by the courtesy of the staff and their attention to detail.

My one complaint is with the "not ready for prime time" review. This person pointed out many things that could have, and many times do, go wrong at any of the "big name" hotels. If they wanted elevators, rooms to the inside, thinner comforters and forkfuls of old reconstituted eggs maybe they should have went down the road a little further. But as for me this "forced stay" due to an avalanche was a little slice of heaven. I will definitely be back to see the new addition of the restaurant which if it is anything like the service at the motel, it will be just as amazing. If I could rate this motel...it would be beyond excellent! The Inn at Tomichi is a class act all the way!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Lexi,
Wow and thank you for your enthusiastic review! It really does matter to us when people take the time to let us know how we are doing. Mostly though, we are really happy to hear that you, our guest, felt so comfortable and relaxed here. Thank you!
Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Clean, renovated rooms and friendly staff!
After reading so many wonderful stories about Crested Butte, we decided to give it a try on a weekend skiing trip. We decided not to stay in Crested Butte to keep our trips expenses reasonable and The Inn at Tomichi was the perfect option righ on highway 50. Easy access in and out of your room since you can park right in front of it; very convenient having all our equipment. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Trish,
Thank you for reviewing us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and plan on staying with us again the next time you visit the beautiful Gunnison/Crested Butte area!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were on a last minute ski weekend trip between Monarch and Crested Butte and were able to get two rooms the Saturday night we stayed. I've stayed here before the new owners purchased the place last year and the new owners have done an incredible job remodeling the rooms we stayed in. It felt like staying in a multi-star hotel but with the convenience of parking right outside the door which is very convenient with ski gear. Temperatures were below zero outside but the room was pre-warmed to above 70 when we walked in. Ten minutes after unpacking we received a phone call from the front desk asking if everything was OK or if we needed anything. The continental breakfast we had was above any of the chain hotels I've stayed at and the manager talked to each guest in the breakfast room.

I'll definitely be staying there again for trips to Crested Butte in the summer and winter.

The manager also said they were remodeling and planning on opening the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank NealPederson

Dear Neal,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We were very happy to read your great review and to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here with us!
We have worked very hard remodeling-thank you for noticing. And yes, we are currently remodeling and plan on opening our new restaurant in the late spring-the Blue Mesa Grill.
Again, thanks for reviewing us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one of the stops on my road trip home for the holidays. I booked it because the reviews and photos looked great. To make a long story short my expectations were met and exceeded. The reviews and photos were spot on and it had the extra bonus of being secluded from all those awful big name big box hotels, you know the ones I mean. The staff was so welcoming and responsive, I felt my business was appreciated. The room was clean and looked recently decorated. The bed linens were crisp and clean, and the bed was very fluffy just like the fresh towels. My bathroom had this adorable little rubber duckie in it, a small touch that I won't soon forget. After my great nights rest I went and checked out the breakfast, which was a full breakfast made to order. They said that was because of the slow season, but I didn't care because it was made fresh for me, added bonus! After I finished breakfast I packed up and checked out, again the staff was outstanding. Upon leaving I discovered another great thing about this place is, it is on the way to Crested Butte. This was a perfect excuse for me to get some snowboarding in. This place would be a perfect to stay at for a skiing or snowboarding trip in Crested Butte. I will definitely be back here for my annual road trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lee K
Alejandro G, General Manager at The Inn at Tomichi Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Lee,

Thank you for reviewing us after your visit. We were very happy to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us and hope that you will indeed visit us again on your next trip to the area. So glad to hear that you had the opportunity to get in some snowboarding on your trip...it's great, isn't it?

Thanks again!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We made this reservation because we were on our way to Telluride, and thought we would stop half way. The comments and pictures looked great. We arrived and were given the key to a room (all the rooms and windows open to the outside--very unprivate and insecure), and when we drove to it (in cold weather, it is really better to have inside rooms and elevators!) we found it in a total uproar, beds unmade, refridg in the middle of the room, etc. So, we carried our suitcases down the outside stairs and put them back into the car (below 0 weather) and drove back to the office. They said that the maintenance man must have turned on the heat in the wrong unit, or the housekeeping made up the wrong unit. They then gave us the key to the room next to it. Rewind, and we went to that room, all the while freezing outside in the cold weather. This room was made up, but smelled terribly musty, and had an empty plastic bottle sticking out from under the bed. The beds had unusually heavy blankets on, which felt like an x-ray shield while trying to sleep. It was hard to turn over, and we weren't comfortable with the intense smell. Also, we were much too hot. The heat would not turn down or off to a comfortable temperature, so we were forced to try to sleep on top of the blankets. The bathroom showed dirty grout between the tiles, the unmovable shower nozzle faced almost straight out at an inconvenient 90 degree angle, and the cover for the screws on the metal hand hold was off and dangling. The next morning we went to get the "free buffet breakfast" only to find a very pleasant woman there telling us that we had to order. We asked for eggs and muffins and a bagel, and were given about two forkfuls of scrambled eggs, and a badly burned bagel. She asked if we wanted her to make some more eggs, and we said, yes, please, and she asked if I wanted another bagel instead of the charred one. I told her not to bother. We told her about the blankets and she told us it got quite cold there. I said we were from CO, and had stayed at all the ski resorts where it, too, was very cold. But they had warm but light quilts which were not uncomfortable. We told her it had been too hot, and she again said it was cold there, and that and the bad smell were probably a result of the maintenance man turning on the heat--that it always smells at first. It appeared we were the only guests that night, maybe one other car, and they were not at all ready for guests. Furthermore, they are not actually in Gunnison, but a ways before the city limits. Just after the city limits we saw what appeared to be a nice Holiday Inn Express, which would have been a better choice. This room cost $122 with tax, and it was definitely not worth it. She agreed to take $10 off for our inconvenience, but I would have much rather had a good night's sleep. I would absolutely not recommend this place until they get their act together.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant, no room service. No elevators, because it is really a motel, and all rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janels

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We dropped the ball by putting you in the wrong room, unfortunately the ball kept rolling and got really big! We must apologize for the things we could have done better. The error with the room was a miscommunication between our front desk and the maintenance man. The breakfast, yes, it is a daily challenge to try to provide food for only a few people when you are more set up to feed a crowd. We didn’t meet that challenge on the day you visited us but thank you for pointing out that while the breakfast didn’t meet your expectations our employee was very pleasant. Your comments about the shower nozzle, grout and handle cover have all been addressed by the maintenance man.

We’re sorry that our blankets made you so uncomfortable. We’ve received many compliments on this personal preference item you mention. We probably will not be changing our brand new bedding any time soon, sorry.

Finally there is our location and the fact that we are a motel and not a hotel. Those two items are things we just cannot realistically change. We are not a hotel with indoor elevators and nowhere do we try to imply that we are. Sorry if you misunderstood. And yes we do realize we are 1.5 miles from downtown Gunnison but again we have many customers who tell us they love that about The Inn because it is so peaceful. And again, that is really a matter of personal preference.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to review us!

P.S. We'll have our restaurant open in a few months.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just spent a few nights at The Inn at Tomichi Village which is located very near the city limits of Gunnison, CO. I expected a nice stay based on the reviews I had read. The rooms are very nice as the place has been renovated recently. The hot tub, pool area was very nice also. We were pleasantly surprised with breakfast each morning. Maybe because it is the off season, we were waited on and our breakfast was cooked to order! Very nice! Get a deluxe queen room if you can! Since we were there to ski we loved being able to park our car right outside of our room for quick and easy access. No complaints at all and we are looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room if you can!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us-we appreciate your time. We were happy to hear you really enjoyed your visit with us and that you look forward to staying here again. Hope you enjoyed the skiing also!
Again, thank you.

With warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gunnison
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Gunnison
#3 of 7 in Crested Butte
The Alpine Inn
The Alpine Inn
#8 of 12 in Gunnison

Been to The Inn at Tomichi Village? Share your experiences!