“Great food, great atmosphere”
Review of Sherpa Cafe

Sherpa Cafe
Ranked #17 of 51 Restaurants in Gunnison
Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepali
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I showed up at about 11:30am. I was the only person in the restaurant. The owner, Pemba, met me at the door and walked me in. They offered a free bowl of soup while I looked at the menu, which had plenty to choose from.
I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala and garlic naan; both were terrific. There's was plenty of food but not enough to be wasteful. The seasoning was just right for Nepalese flavor. The chicken was tender and juicy and yogurt sauce was awesome. Would happily recommend this place to anyone. Happy trails.

2  Thank Adam J

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I had a wonderful lunch of Lamb Saag and cheese naan. The saag was the best I have ever had. The portions were so generous that I had plenty to take home for another meal. The wait staff was attentive. I enjoyed a long lunch and stayed for a while to read a book in their outdoor seating. Great food and great people

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Food wasn't good. I got a stomach ache that lasted for days. Service was lacking and food came out very slowly. I've lived in Gunnison for 16 years. Go to Blue Mesa Grill for dinner or Gunnisack for lunch.

1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Based on the reviews here, I thought Sherpa Cafe was going to be better than the other Nepalese/Indian restairants in Colorado, but that wasn't the case at all. The owner seemed great, and the service was terrific, but the food wasn't even mediocre. We ordered papadum, samosas, chicken vindaloo, and lamb chilli. The papadum was fine, but it came with just one sauce--an orangey-red one. The samosas were terrible. They were soggy rather than crisp and the filling didn't seem like it was seasoned at all. They were also served with an orangey-red sauce that tasted a lot like the first sauce. We asked for chutney and/or pickle as well, but they only seemed to have the one sauce. My husband's lamb was okay--the best dish of the meal--but it wasn't great. My vindaloo, while fairly tasty, wasn't vindaloo. There was barely any heat in it and it was also served in a watery orangey-red sauce without much flavor. While I understand that Nepalese versions of dishes are going to differ from the Indian versions, my experience--at Sherpa Cafe in Gunnison, at Nepal in Grand Junction, at Guru's in Montrose, and at Sherpa House in Golden--has been that the Nepalese versions lack the spice level, richness and depth of flavor of the Indian versions. So why do I keep eating at Nepalese places if I preper Indian food? Because that's all there is in Western Colorado where I live and because positive reviews here and elsewhere convince me that it's worth a try.

1  Thank klh_11
Reviewed June 27, 2014

What a treat with personal service. We savored every item ordered and ate on even though full. I am searching for a recipe for saag after loving it here. The curry was delicate and beautifully spiced. We are returning today for another experience before leaving the area. Sample this restaurant and treat yourself!