“Good Food, Good Prices”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The owner does the cooking. I look forward to stopping there each time I am in Gunnison. The hot and sour soup is great. The food is good and plentiful. Lunchtime prices are low. Its hard to beat this combination of good food and good price.

Date of visit: May 2013
4  Thank Jim H

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've eaten numerous times at this family run Chinese restaurant and especially like the portion size and value for above average oriental food during lunch service. I usually order "triple delight" (sauteed chicken, beef, and shrimp w/vegetables) which is also served with egg drop
or hot/sour soup, a small egg roll (OK to skip), a cream cheese fried wonton, and steamed or
fried rice. Hot tea is complimentary . Service is attentive and usually quite prompt. This is my favorite lunch spot in Gunnison.

Date of visit: April 2013
4  Thank TheGav
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is the go-to chinese place in Gunnison. I have tried Double Dragon (you can check out my review there) and always had experiences. I think the House of China owners told me that they've had this place since 1990 I believe? That shows that this place is great, how else could a restaurant stay in this small little mountain town for this long!? Their appetizers are amazing, especially the chicken wings and crab rangoons. Only dish that I have not always been satisfied with is the lo mein, which I still like to order occasionally, but it's not my favorite. The staff is friendly, good lunch deals/prices, and it's filled with locals whenever I go there (which is about once a week.) Definitely recommend this place!

Date of visit: April 2013
3  Thank GunnisonLocal
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A bit on the bland side. If you you like spicy / hot this may not be your best choice, athough the hot & sour soup was really good.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Probably the thing that makes House of China stand out to me is that they don't use much MSG in their food. I'm allergic to MSG so I usually have to avoid chinese food altogether if I don't want to get sick. Not so at this restaurant.
As I was a vegetarian for many of my years in Gunnison I always ordered the Tofu in garlic sauce, which quickly became one of my favorite foods. The meat is good too but I'm not much of an expert on that.
House of China is, well, a Chinese food restaraunt. It's nothing that's going to blow your socks off but it's clean, authentic (the owners are from Taiwan), friendly, and the prices are fair (especially during lunch). Each order is enough for 2 or even 3 meals but it's yummy so you'll want to eat it all in one sitting haha. I would absolutely, definitely recommend it to friends, and especially for large groups.

Date of visit: July 2012