“Cooks night off?”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have eaten at Mario's in past years, ordered pizza, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. After our last visit, we probably won't return again. I ordered the Primavera Pasta described as containing various veggies including artichoke and served with a white wine sauce over spinach fettuccine. Bad choice. The artichokes were non-existent and the sauce had apparently soaked into the regular fettuccine It was a sticky dry mess. I asked our waiter about a mistake on the pasta and he said they didn't have the spinach variety any longer. I then asked about the absence of artichoke and he said "they must have forgotten it". Also I might mention that we ordered soup and it was served lukewarm.

I glanced at the pizza served to an adjoining table. Don't know if it was whole wheat or white, but it was very dark in appearance and appeared burnt on one side of the pizza.

There are newer reviews for Mario's Pizza & Pasta

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The pizza was excellent with many toppings to choose from. The waitress was friendly and helpful. I would definitely come back to eat here..

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Recommended by our hotel desk clerk, Mario's did not disappoint. My husband and I shared a large pizza and a medium tossed salad and we took home leftovers. Pizza was very good while I thought the salad was so so. Italian dressing was very tasty but all there was in the salad was lettuce and shredded mozzarella cheese topped with 3 pepperoni slices. The booths were a good size for a couple but I think a little tight for more. We ate mid afternoon so it wasn't crowded but it looked like a fun place for a gathering of friends for pizza and beer. Waiter was friendly and speedy.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

First of all, this is a pizza joint, not a fancy,or even plain, restaurant. A stranger who heard we were going to Gunnison recommended Mario's, with the comment, "it's the best pizza in the world!" So, we bit and went there for dinner. Danny, the owner/chef, greeted us shortly after we were seated. His enthusiasm for his product was obvious, and he described in detail how he prepared each menu item that he thought we might be interested in. His description of the Chicago style pie was compelling, so a friend and I shared a medium "Carnivore". What a treat! I've never seen so much cheese on a pizza!

The service was superb, the servers were very attentive, and Danny checked to be sure we were happy. Yes, we were!

My wife and a friend shared a regular crust chicken-topped pie, and it was also first-rate.

If you're in Gunnison, you really need to indulge yourself and enjoy a Mario's pizza!!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Staff was nice but it was crowded and tight. Food was just so-so. It was hot--it was summer but still I would have expected more AC for a place with so few windows.