“Best scene/food/people in town!”
Review of Brick Cellar - CLOSED

Brick Cellar
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: VOTED PEOPLE'S CHOICE BEST DRINKING ESTABLISHMENT! Gunnison's premiere Wine & Martini Bar & Bistro, emphasizing quality local and regionally grown products, top shelf and premium spirits and high end brews. OPEN Monday thru Saturday from 5pm to Midnight. Serving Gourmet Bar Food Nightly from 5-10pm. Happy Hours 5p-7p and 10p-11p $6 Martinis + $6 Wines by the Glass $3 Beers + $4 Well Cocktails
Gunnison, Colorado
“Best scene/food/people in town!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Every time I go to Gunnison I find myself at "The Brick" more than once. Amazing wine selection, great food (the loaded mac and cheese is a must!), sushi on Tuesday (get the delectable Captain Crunch) and they have the best booze selection in town. Triple that up with an amazing martini menu and best bartender awards year after year and The Brick can do no wrong.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank tmneuendorf

“Surprisingly good food!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The "wine bar" as it is known in town is truly a bar, but the food will surprise you. The single malt selection is impressive and the atmosphere is more adult than the other bars in this college town. Go for dinner some night, you'll be pleased.

Visited May 2012
“Unique atmosphere, great service, locally grown food.”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This place was great! Definitely the place in Gunnison to meet locals and enjoy really good food and drinks! They have a huge martini list, great selection of bottled beers and the scotch selection is rediculous for a small town. Locally grown food really makes the food menu stand out. They have local bands play every once in a while and the service is outstanding. I'll be back!

Colorado
“A total disaster from beginning to end”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was excited to eat at the Brick Cellar, as I had met the chef around town, and because I used to be the chef of a similar restaurant. The meal was severely disappointing, only made worse by the service.

The bartender was also serving tables, and seemed strangely shocked that I had come in to eat dinner. I ordered a beer, but would have preferred sparkling water, which is not available. Half of the menu is crossed out, and the bartender said they were sold of three additional items. I wanted to get a few small plates and a salad, but since the smallest salad is $9, I opted just for the small plates. Starting out with sweet potato fries, I was amazed at how much the chef had missed the mark. First, the "fries" are not fried, but rather roasted strips of sweet potato tossed in a molasses reduction. Either the chef was trying to approximate the feel of crispy fries, or my sweet potato strips were simply undercooked. Whatever the case, they were not palatable, too sweet, and NOT FRIES! Calling a menu item "fries" requires use of a fryer, or at least an oven-roasted approach that lends a crispy outside. Furthermore, AFTER ordering I was informed that the chipotle mayo I was supposed to get with the fries was sold out, so I was offered a red pepper coulis, which was a poor accompaniment. Second course, I ordered a crab cake, which was available as a special. I asked for a half order and was brought a full order, but luckily was not charged for the full order. Normally I would have been excited for a free crab cake, but not this time. The cakes, although cooked technically perfectly, were bland and tasteless. Warm on the inside, crispy on the outside, I had high hopes because crab cakes are sometimes an issue, but it wasn't the technique, it was the flavor. I could not pick out a hint of crab, so it ended up being a big ball of herb-y mush. Then, the chipotle mayo which they supposedly didn't have for my "fries" was served with my crab cake (in a cheap, disposable plastic ramekin). The mayo was so powerfully spicy that it left my mouth coated in a spicy oil that made a futile effort of trying to taste the crab. I ended with a bacon mac and cheese, although at this point I was regretting having ordered my courses ahead of time. I gladly would have called it quits after the crab cake. The mac and cheese was good, flavorful, and colorful, but the menu calls the mac "loaded" with bacon, and I found about 5 miniscule pieces scattered throughout the dish. There was a good bit of chicken, but frankly I was already so turned off by my previous courses that I had to call the whole thing a failure because of the lack of bacon.
Gunnison is in dire need of a place like this, but Brick Cellar is doing nothing to fill that void. Perhaps they are able to skate by based on a lack of competition, but the entire experience was an "F" and I would never go back, unless to drink a beer, but only if dragged by friends. Without work on the flavors, menu, and service, Brick Cellar will never make it into my rotation. I can't believe how bad it was.

The atmosphere is lovely, and I do enjoy the look of the place.

• Visited October 2011
4 Thank LovesEats
Gunnison, Colorado
“Local, fresh, delicious food and amazing drinks”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Brick Cellar is a gem for those that want an eclectic menu made from local organic food with love. The menu is one of small and larger plates. We have eaten many things there and the menu changes seasonally. Some of our favorites include the duck empanadas, Caroline's special artichoke dip, any soup, and platters of fresh roasted local vegetables. Wednesday is Sushi night, a treat in this small Colorado town. While the food is spectacular the drink menu is amazing. There are probably 50-75 single malts categorized by region in the world and a specialty list of martinis and drinks that are creative and fun. While the drinks are a little pricey, the serving is generous. Service is always impeccable.

• Visited August 2011