“Best Mexican Food in Gunnison”

Anejo's Bistro and Bar
Ranked #20 of 51 Restaurants in Gunnison
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 5, 2012

For a long time, it always always mystified me how Gunnison, a college and mountain town, could have such weak choices when it came to Mexican food but now that's changed with the advent of Anejo's Bistro and Bar. Fresh affordable food made from scratch! It's family run serving great food and quite possibly the largest selection of tequila brands in the area. What it lacks in seating is more than made up for by tasty, affordable, made-to-order food. I recently ordered the fish tacos and they might be about the best I've had anywhere outside a true Mexican beach town. Grilled mahi mahi in 3 soft corn tortillas with a spicy cabbage garnish and an amazing side "tropical salad" that is jicama and cucumber sticks with a couple slices of orange in a mysteriously delicious dressing. All that for $9.95 and I took one of the tacos home. My friend had the fajitas which were plentiful and muy delicioso. Also similarly priced; in fact most items are under $10. The only reason I gave this 4 rather than 5 stars is because the seating situation is probably a little more casual than some folks might like. There's one large round table up front, stools at a long bar, then a few more tables after the open kitchen just before the bathroom. The bar seating makes it a great option for solo travelers. If it's full when you get there, squeeze in or wait. It's worth it.

There are newer reviews for Anejo's Bistro and Bar

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I don't know what the earlier reviewer was taking about with the Chef being rude or the food being bad. I come here all the time and always get great service and great food with fresh ingrediants. Best Mexican food in gunnison

1  Thank GunnyRuger26
Reviewed September 23, 2012

PWe tried Anjeo's after reading a recent favorable review in Colorado Central Magazine. This is not a large restaurant and it could easily be missed on a quick drive down Gunnison's Main Street. The entrance is unpretentious and the restaurant is long and narrow, with a small bar area in the front and a few tables in the rear. Colorfully painted and well lit, Anjeo's has a nice cozy feel to it.

The service was prompt and friendly. Chips were the standard fare and the salsa was fresh and tasted homemade. Table sauces included El Yucateco red and green, and Tapitio. My wife order the Burrito Supreme with chicken and I had the Enchiladas Suisa with beef. Both were delicious and the servings weren't so large as to warrant a "doggie bag" ( much to the chagrin of Frodo and DaisyMae who were patiently waiting in the camper van).

This is only Mexican restaurant I've visited in Gunnison, but I think it would be hard to beat the quality and value of Anjeo's .

1  Thank John-David L
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Food was really good, cook made everything fresh as the kitchen is out in the open so you can see what they are doing! Staff were all friendly Would definitely go back!

1  Thank Jimmy6565
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I took my girl to dinner last night @ anejo. The service was awful and when the food came out it looked like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for 10 mins. When we told the waiter he and the busboy argued with us. When the check came nothing was comped. When I asked the waiter if would do something the chef came out and he to argued with us & said we were the only couple to complain in the one year they have been open. Sad will not return.