“Best Western Experience Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waunita Hot Springs Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunnison
Waunita Hot Springs Ranch
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best Western Experience Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

From our first night there, we had a great time. We were on Horses right away and the Wranglers were helpful for us novices! Between Fishing Horseback riding, float tripping, Camping out under the stars if you want too, and the western show... This was by far the best vacation we've had in years! The service was excellent. The food was great and there was always plenty whether eating at the ranch or up in the hills. And you can do absolutely nothing if you wanted too and that's fine also. The Mountain air, hot springs pool, the Scenery and wildlife just made this such an enjoyable week. Your cost is all inclusive, nothing is extra. The Family that runs everything really makes you feel as if this was your home for the week

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Huntsville, Al
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

I spent 6 wonderful days at a relaxing yet active colorado paradise. The rooms were comfotable and clean. Food was more than abundant and well prepared. They even prepared special dishes needed by my wife's dietary needs. I road horses, road rapids and took four wheel trips through unbelievably beautiful scenery. There is so much to do, but you can also just relax with coffee on the long rustic front porch looking at Tomichi Dome or float in the hot springs heated pool. Juanita Hot Springs is a well run and friendly Family Run operation. I will deffinitely return next year.

2 Thank EdWHuntsville_Al
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Our time at Waunita Hot Springs Ranch was more than I could have hoped for. The whole experience was fun and rewarding. I took my 24 year old daughter and 86 year old dad along with my middle aged self. The ranch was a hit for all of us. My daughter and I had great fun with the horses on trail rides, and the games with the cattle. The ranch staff took my dad fishing, and exploring ghost towns. They even taught us to shoot clay pigeons with shot guns! The setting is beautiful and the food is so delicious. I am really missing those home made breads and desserts now. The staff was friendly and fun. We hope to be able to return next summer!

1 Thank reewit
denver colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

The ranch caters for all riding abilities, but we were 'older' guests (from the UK) with no riding experience. Ryan and his experienced wranglers put us at ease and we really enjoyed the riding, including completing the challenging Stella mountain ride (yes, ask my knees !), at the end of the week. Many of the guests were returnees, some having been back as many as 17 times ! The feeling is that of a very large family welcoming returning family members and new friends. The food was some of the best that I have eaten in the US, fresh, healthy and plentiful (my wife is a vegetarian and agreed that it was one of the best eating experiences she has had in the US - thanks Tammy and Rachel !). The other guests were so helpful, especially Rod and Rosie (13th visit !) who helped us settle in and gave us some useful advice. Definitely recommended !!!

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Waunita is a wonderful place for a family vacation. It is so beautiful nestled in the Rocky Mountains about 30 min. from Gunnison, CO. If you like the outdoors and horses, you will LOVE this place. The staff will spoil you - the horses are great. You will want to check out their website at www.waunita.com. The price for the week is all inclusive - lots of great trail rides, river rafting, hayride, Square dancing, music night, great food, and a pool heated by the hot springs. There is something for all ages, and you can be comfortable that your children are safe playing on the grounds of the ranch.

Peyton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

What an awesome vacation destination! The people, horses, food, rides, and guests are all great! We have visited multiple times, with and without our children, and have always had a most excellent time! If you like riding, gorgeous scenery, delicious food, and unsurpassed hospitality, make this your destination! Pricing is "all inclusive" so there are no add-on costs after you arrive. Top notch!

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

We just spent three days at WHSR. My seven year old daughter..who loves horses....had a great time. The ranch is located in a beautiful valley about 15 minutes off the interstate and enjoys a rural setting as one would expect at a dude ranch. We live in the city and it was especially refreshing NOT worrying about where my kid is and what she's doing......on the ranch, she's either riding or playing with the other kids. The rooms are small, basic, but perfectly comfortable. You need to keep in mind that the main building was built a thousand years ago and like many old structures, they have to work within the confines of the historic infrastucture, so don't expect Ritz-Carlton comfort. The food is all made from scratch and there's plenty of it. Of course horseback riding is the activity of focus and there's a morning and afternoon ride every day. There are enough wranglers on staff that the duration and destination of each ride is flexible. If I could make a few suggestions: perhaps hammocks or couple chaise lounges on the primary porch. It would be nice to have a comfortable spot in the shade to nap in the afternoons and the rocking wood rocking chairs and benches are well suited for proper napping. Secondly, I would have enjoyed a beer or cocktail while on vacation. I'm not sure if lack of a bar is a function of no liquor license, or a choice by the owners, but that option would have been nice. Certainly not a deal-killer as I'm not much of a drinker, but a cold brew would have taken the edge off my sore a$$ after a three hour ride in the Gunnison National Forest.

Very nice people. Excellent place for kids to have an authentic dude ranch experience....my daughter wants to know if we can go back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gunnison
The Inn at Tomichi Village
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Three Rivers Resort
Three Rivers Resort
#1 of 1 in Almont

Been to Waunita Hot Springs Ranch? Share your experiences!