“Friendly atmosphere with good Mexican food”

El Paraiso Family Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 50 Restaurants in Gunnison
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Email them at elparaisofamilymexicanrestaurant@hotmail.com Best meal we had in Gunnison; great food, prices and service Gunnison
Hermitage, PA
“Friendly atmosphere with good Mexican food”
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Ate here with my son who is a student at WSCU. The service was efficient and the wait staff friendly. It was quite busy but they served us salsa and chips while we waited for our dinners. My son had the shredded beef tacos which he declared delicious. I ordered the chicken fajitas which were very good and I had plenty left to take home! Portions were large. Owner/manager went around to tables to make sure customers were satisfied. I was very pleased with my dinner and would return.

Lakewood, Colorado
“Family owned and orientated to the whole family this place is a bargain at lunchtime!”
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Lovely, gracious people working hard there to meet hungry patrons needs. We were a group of 4 and enjoyed watermelon margaritas, combination plates with guacamole, beans and rice along side our burritos. Yum! Makes us wish we lived in Gunnison. (Go on highway 347 to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park nearby -well worth the trip.)

tulsa
“A House Divided Review”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I almost hesitate to write this review as our group had a broad range of opinions on the restaurant. I was the lone "like" but as the Mom, my opinion should hold some weight, shouldn't it?

The favorable:

The mixed chicken & steak fajitas were flavored with a marinade or rub before grilling which gave them a unique and tasty flavor. The two-person serving was HUGE and the meal included choice of soup or salad too.

The large patio (stretching from front to behind the building) was a delightful place to converse and enjoy a drink or two.

The not-so-good aspects:

In general, the food was very "uneven", both in quantity and quality. One son's chimichanga was the tiniest version of this dish that I have ever seen. It almost looked as if it was a frozen, food service item that had been heated and served. The other son's combination plate of a taco, enchilada, and tostada had an overabundance of lettuce and not much meat.

The mention on the menu of charging after the first refill of chips and salsa seemed chintzy in light of the slightly above-average prices. Our party of four (including two strapping ex-football players) received the same allotment of chips & salsa as neighboring 1- and 2-person tables. I cannot say if we were truly charged for any extras (as hubby paid the bill) but the whole premise left a "bad taste" in our mouths.

My suggestion might be to grab a brew or margarita on the delightful patio during happy hour and saunter down the road for your dinner.

1 Thank kmdunningaia
Denver, Colorado
“Not my idea of anything close to good mexican food!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Traveling with 5 adults (not petite) we asked to be seated at a table. The server immediately pulled a small table up to the end of a booth and asked if that would work. I said no and so he wanted to seat us outside. It was clearly raining. He told me that was all he could do. Not to make things worse, we sat at the booth table, very cramped. We all ordered different things and with no exceptions everything we ordered was just not good. It wasn't bad, it was bland, no spice, no flavor. It was just not good. A tip to anyone who goes into a mexican restaurant and the waiter asks you what kind of salad dressing you want on your salad. RUN! LEAVE! It is not a real Mexican restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Marlene S
Colorado
“Unimpressive Mexican Food”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a fairly simple Mexican restaurant in a southwestern Colorado town. One would expect to eat simple straightforward mexican cuisine, but that is not the case. The restaurant tries to be a little too cute with its food, and the food suffers. A case in point is the ground beef tacos, which should be a pretty simple dish. The ground beef was slimey and in a very nondescript sauce that didn't taste authentic. The portions were very small, and the combination platters were also very small.

• Visited July 2014