“Perfect stay for exploring Everglades.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Redland

The Hotel Redland
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Homestead
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay for exploring Everglades.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I booked a room at Redlands after reading exceptional reviews on Lonely Planet, and here on Trip Advisor. I agree with all positives comments.
I called late, and rather than forcing a booking and reservation then, Mark said he'd hold a room and that I could sort out finances on arrival - very refreshing and trusting from the go.

The room was very large, quiet at night, and the shower was brilliantly hot and powerful (both evening and morning). The restaurant bar area also comes with recommendation; perfectly reasonable pricing for interesting bar snacks, delicious chicken wings, conch fritters and calamari. The bar staff were friendly and professional. Mark, the hotelier, was on hand 24/7 and an exceptional host. Breakfast the next morning was between 7am and late morning - good hours, meaning I felt no pressure to rush for breakfast, and also some guests were able to eat before leaving early to experience Everglades. Food variety was excellent, and delicious.

The hotel is by far the most interesting place to stay in the Homestead/Florida City area, and an easy drive from the Everglades/Miami/The Keys. I thoroughly recommend staying at Hotel Redland and driving to Pahayokee Overlook, just beyond the Ernest Coe entrance to the Everglades. Mark's tip on arrival, which gave the most beautiful sunset and an unforgettable encounter with eagles, vultures, a large owl and the sounds and sights of the Everglades at dusk.

Room Tip: I was in Room 201 - very large, quiet, two entrances (direct from the balcony above car park, no noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tcarewhunt
Mark B, Owner at The Hotel Redland, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for that wonderful and very descriptive review! I'm thrilled that I exceeded your expectations and that you were so happy with the food as we'll,
I hope you will come back and visit again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Antioch, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My family spent a month in Islamorada and stayed at two great resorts, Chesapeake Beach Resort (large and a little less personal, but nonetheless beautiful) and Lookout Lodge (10 rooms and an experience we will remember forever!) We asked the manager of Lookout Lodge where we should stay in Key Largo on our way home and he said that we should venture a little further and explore a town called Homestead and suggested we stay at the Hotel Redland. We took his advice and called the Hotel Redland and reserved a balcony room, not really knowing what to expect. We found out that the Hotel was the first building in Homestead, which made the visit even better. The owner, Mark, a man who sincerely loves what he does and it certainly shows suggested we visit a fruit stand called "Robert Is Here" and we did. "Robert is Here" is much more than a fruit stand and was so much fun for the kids. (There are a lot of animals and a splash park) We asked Robert...yes, THE Robert...where to eat dinner and he recommend "The Whistle Stop" which is located inside of the Hotel Redland, where we were staying. It was so funny, because Robert started telling us how to find the restaurant and it was really the only thing we knew how to find because we were already staying at the Hotel! We normally like to venture out for dinner, but took Robert's suggestion and enjoyed good old American comfort food, homemade Chicken and Dumplings and more in a beautiful setting...Do not miss the Hotel Redland and the Whistle Stop Restaurant, authentic experiences and authentic people are a satisfying find.

Room Tip: The balcony overlooks a "courtyard like" parking area, so I would suggest spending the ext...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Mia G
Mark B, Owner at The Hotel Redland, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you so kindly for posting such a fabulous review!
I remember you and the story as we laughed at the coincidence! We sent you to Robert and he sent you back here to us! Love it!
Again, I'm so thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much!!Come and see us again
Ellijay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was so neat to stay at this place instead of a chain. Yep, I would consider it a bed and breakfast. (Owner explained the difference to me...B&B does not have a separate entrance/exit) It only has 15 rooms. Owner collects antiques, so rooms were decorated with little special touches. Also lots of interesting items in lobby and bar/library area. Extremely clean. In a safe area, and owner watches the semi-private parking lot.
Our only regret was we did not stay long enough to visit their restaurant. Bet the food is great! The owner was a pleasure to chat with. He will help you in any way he can, and I believe has lived there all his life, so he knows the area. Such a great experience overall. Will definitely stay here next time we go thru. Note: It fills up fast, so you get your reservation in early!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2-twin room because all others were booked up. I am sure all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Silver1953Atlanta_GA
Mark B, Owner at The Hotel Redland, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review!
I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry you didn't get the chance to try the restaurant as it is closed on Mondays. That means you will just have to come back and try us again:)
Thanks again!
Sigourney, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a great historic hotel with lots of history. So much better than chain hotels, the owner is happy to help and share stories of his hotel and the area. He suggested places to go to and eat. Very quiet neighborhood not far from the main road and the Everglades National Park and Coral Castle. Clean Room, Internet Access, Refrigerator,TV and patio. Terrific place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill P
Mark B, Owner at The Hotel Redland, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm so thrilled you enjoyed your stay,
We aim to please and I hope you can come back and visit us again,
Rowhedge, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Booked this hotel based on TA reviews and it deserves it's high ranking. So much better than a chain hotel, more like an old fashioned homely B&B with an interested, on site owner who goes the extra mile. My husband was unwell upon our arrival and I was immediately offered assistance to unpack our car. Our room was clean and comfortable, the air con quiet. We ate in on our first night, the food was really 'home cooked' the chicken soup was so good my husband started to feel better soon after.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back overlooking the car park, they are probably quieter, although the road...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank RowhedgeRosie
Mark B, Owner at The Hotel Redland, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
I'm so thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us,
I happy you loved the food so much! we pride ourselves in good home cooking!!
I hope you will come back and visit us again!!
Our chicken soup is better than penicillin :)
Thunder Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We found this lovely hotel on Trip Advisor and booked it based upon the great reviews we read and we are very glad that we did. We were met by the owner, Mark, who took us to our room and later spent time to explain the history of this fine old hotel. If you are looking for a "cookie cutter" motel then this place is not for you, The room was clean and comfortable with television, telephone and a small apt. size refridgerator much like a modern hotel but at the same time exuded character only found in a bed and breakfast or historic hotel from a by gone era. The location of the hotel in the historic downtown and proximity to the Everglades Park via back roads iwere added bonuses. If we are ever to revisit Homestead we will look no further than this pleasant establishment.

Room Tip: Room 201 at the rear with patio door to balcony is very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveandMatsy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I just needed a quiet place to stay on my way to the keys. This place was perfect. It had a quaint feel like a bed and breakfast.
Clean and comfortable with a historic touch. The owner was very personable. This was just what I needed after staying in the big name hotels. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homestead
Floridian Hotel
#6 of 12 in Florida City
4.0 of 5 stars 802 reviews
Home2 Suites by Hilton Florida City
Quality Inn Florida City - Homestead

Been to The Hotel Redland? Share your experiences!