“Truly scrumptious!”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my second lunch visit to COTR and it did not disappoint. Located in a rather dreary location just off Krome Avenue, this quaint and quirky restaurant serves up some of the most innovative grub anywhere. I selected the Ay, Ay, Ay Chicken Sandwich. This lusciously decadent creation is a deep fried chicken breast anointed in a spicy habanero butter sauce topped with grilled sweet onions and tangy bleu cheese. It was a perfect combination of flavors: sweet, savory and spicy. It came with a side of decent fries which I hardly touched as the sandwich was so good, I did not want to put it down. It's only been two days and I'm already looking forward to my next visit...

There are newer reviews for Chefs On The Run Assorted Cuisine

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Last week a friend and I had lunch to "catch up on all the gossip." The special of the day was a chicken burger. Ho hum, right? Then Chef came out a described the burger with a teinkle in his eye that said,"I've hit this one outta' the park." Two Chicken Burgers, please. After the first bite all hope of catching up was gone. How, I ask, can something so mundane be turned into something so delicious? Keep up the good work, Guys. We'll be back.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I saw a story on a local channel. The food looked really good on TV so we decided to go try it out. We are glad we tried Chef on the Run because the food is delicious. We tried the alcapurrias and sorullitos as appetizers. For our main course we had the chicken and mofongo. My daughters had the kids churrasco and chicken with fries. The food was so yummy with so much flavor. The service was excellent. We are definitely looking forward to out next visit!

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

When I tell you that I read all the reviews and was SO excited to go eat there it's an understatement. I was giddy. I love Puerto Rican food and this seemed to have a nice mix in their menu and the reviews were awesome.

Then I got there. Nice, cozy place, nicely decorated and very clean. I was placing a to go order and the little area in the front has one small table for people to sit while they wait (I'm assuming that's it's purpose since its by itself by the pass window). So as soon as I walk in I find it odd that there is a man sitting at the table, listening to music on his phone & eating Subway. I write him off as just waiting for food and then 15 minutes later he goes back into the kitchen! Now I may look, talk & act like a valley girl but I'm 100% Spanish and understood when he told the chef (not the owner) something derogatory about my behind which I took offense to, no matter how much he was "admiring" it. I felt very uncomfortable, as the way he was talking and acting was what we call a "cocolo" in Puerto Rico, wannabe street gangster, and I was very angry that I had to stand there and wait standing up for 15 minutes while an employee sat and ate Subway while blasting music.

That being said the owner and the other man cooking were very nice and hospitable as was the waitress who took my order. Kudos to them, but I cannot understand how an owner would hire a man like that and/or let him eat from Subway while there is a customer.

Then I got my food. I was excited. I was hoping the food would be so good I'd forget about the rude little thug wannabe eating Subway. But alas, it did not. The truffle fries were $1.50 upgrade and had no truffle taste whatsoever. They also were frozen Alessi waffle fries, I don't see how you can up charge something for its "quality" and then it be frozen from the supermarket.

All in all I REALLY wanted to love this place, I cannot express how much I did. It has potential but I will not expose myself, or recommend my friends, to go somewhere where they employ someone who makes the guest that uncomfortable. I get that he didn't think I'd understand but it should have never been said and he should stay in the back where customers don't see him. And the food should be fresh, there's no excuse. They have all the tools necessary and have potential to make it an amazing restaurant but they need to step it up

3  Thank Michi113
jopak u, Manager at Chefs On The Run Assorted Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hello:

My name is Jodrick Ujaque and I am the Chef the Cuisine to COR, I truly apologize to what was your 1st experience & impression of us. We have addressed this matter and can assure you it has been handled . We are a family business and we don't condone this behavior which is also unusual, I was present on that day and I didn't noticed anything awkward, we don't hire thugs, gang banger wannabe on our restaurant, we keep a family atmosphere fun & professional for all the family staff members. Once again I sincerely apologize for this strange incident I only wish that it would of been brought to my attention on site, we can only hope that one day you consider coming back, we owe you a culinary experience. As far as the fries, pre packed fries for the service industry or all frozen, we don't have the storage to confit our potatoes, waffles fries were a last minute change up,

Once again our apologies,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tried Chefs last week for a late lunch while in town on business based on #1 rating...well I haven't eaten everywhere in Homestead but I was very impressed with Chefs OTR. I had the special Asian burger and it ranked as one of the top 2 burgers I've ever had in my life. Chefs is just another strip mall wonder of a restaurant of which I have grown to appreciate and learned to actively seek out for gastronomic delights. The flavors were bold yet sublime....every bite better than the last. I ordered the tangy unsweetened version of their hibiscus tea and while I really enjoyed the palate cleansing qualities, I kept wishing I had put a little sweetener in it...my bad as they did offer a sweetened version...next time, for sure. After the burger, I indulged in a coconut cake and ice cream dessert that was also very good. The chef and owner Jodrick Ujaque came out and sat with me and I immediately understood why the food was so amazing...this guy is the real deal! His passion for culinary arts is so refreshing to see and it really is in full display at this non-descript little restaurant in Downtown Homestead...he is also a great guy. The variety and Jodrick's unconventional approach to cooking is something that not many chefs have the stones or talent to pull off well...no problem at Chefs OTR. If you want to try something different and great, eat at Chefs...you will be delighted and you will be back...I know I will and I can't wait.