“Real gator meat!”

Everglades Gator Grill
Ranked #13 of 166 Restaurants in Homestead
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Only place we could find to taste real gator meat on the run, after a long walk in the Everglades (and washed down with a world-famous smoothie at Robert is Here's next-door).
The cook is of Italian dscent and has spent most of his young life cooking next to his father, an accomplished chef in his won right.
Don't be fooled by the road-side look of this grill, you won't be disappointed by the experience :-)

2  Thank burkele

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Had an enjoyable dinner and the serivce was good. If in the area will return

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Youll see this "shack" on the right side a mile or two before the Alligator Farm/Everglades Park turn. Our heads turn when we saw this place but decided we would check it out after visiting the farm since we just had breakfast in Homestead. After our visit to the Alligator Farm that included the air boat tour, we passed it again and was very skeptical since there was nobody parked (usually a bad sign) at the parking lot at lunch time and a sunday. We saw how crowded the farm was but no one felt to stop at this joint? So we decided to go in and and had a chat with the chef about his Italian flag at the lot (new yorker accent-I think he's the owner). We chose the Gator Kebab, Frog Legs (depends on availability) sauteed in butter and garlic, and Gator Tacos. We have tried frogs legs and other "exotics/bizarre food" from around the world and we were curious how his menu lives up.

First the Frog legs/arms are super tender (more tender than chicken or other meat). You might think the frogs use a lot of their legs hopping that their leg muscles are hard and chewy but this is not the case. The butter with garlic sautee is excellent and felt like you were dining at the fine French restaurant in Paris! The meat had excellent moisture and could be eaten without teeth! Just melts to the mouth and complimented with fried rice.

Next up was the Gator Kebab (one Kebab/order). Chef never asked how our meats should be cooked and trusted him how it should be done (I personally prefer-medium to medium rare). The menu never mentioned but the Kebab had a green buttery sauce that resemble "Cafe du Paris" (made of butter, garlic, and a lot of parseley). Maybe it was mentioned because most americans are not familiar with this sauce? The kebab also was cooked medium and all the moisture was intact. I use alot of cafe du paris on escargot and beef but never with Alligator/crocodile! Im not sure which part of the gator the meat was taken but it was so tender and sauce blended well with its moisture. No rice comes with this but the grilled veggies made up for a nice balance.

The last dish was the Gator Taco. I personally think Ive eaten enough mexican food in my life that this dish lacked substance! While the frogs legs and gator kebab felt a million bucks, the gator taco lacked the overwhelmingly olfactory response from my mouth! While I went in for a drink, a few customers came in and surprised the chef recommended this more than the other dishes?!! I think that if you stop to eat here, you have to have the willingness to try exotic food (other wise, the town has mickey Ds and all).

I also wouldnt recommended adding any of their "gator hot sauces" as this will just distract the true flavor of their dishes! Overall, the "shack" has the best value in South Florida even compared to a lot of bland and pricey fine dining places in South Beach and Florida Keys.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We wouldn't have stopped to eat there, except for the high ratings on tripadvisor. And we are glad we did! My husband had the gator basket and said he'd order it again. I had the biggest, and best hamburger with great fries. The manager took my husband across the road to pick tomatoes while we waited for our food to be cooked. And his staff talked to me. We had a great time, and the tomatoes were the best!

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Was recommended to this spot by Robert at "Robert Is Here" fruit stand close by. Tried the gator kabobs--WONDERFUL! Nice eclectic mix of food-my teenage kids loved the shrimp stir fry. The lentil soup was wonderful and came with a nice touch of fresh-fried chips. Had a burger also and was nicely grilled. Would HIGHLY recommend this place--don't worry about the looks of it--looks like a dive, food tastes wonderful!