“Mile High Adventure”

Ranked #18 of 37 things to do in Homestead
Type: Other
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Miami Gliders is South Florida's premier site for glider flight training. Located just 30 minutes South of Miami and on your way to the Florida Keys and Everglades. Our experienced staff brings the knowledge and the professionalism you expect from aviation professionals. We are FAA certified pilots and flight instructors committed to excellence, safety and above all FUN! We truly enjoy what we do here at Miami Gliders and we can't wait to take you flying.
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I had huge fun with Steve and John at Miami Gliders. I chose the 5200 ft tow and it was worth every cent. Even though the weather wasn't that favorable for soaring, Steve had no trouble filling the flight with acrobatics, sightseeing, information and pure entertainment. I've flown everything from hang gliders to Jet Ranges and this ranks with the best of any of those. Homestead Airport is a little remote, but the drive there is well worth the effort. You won't be disappointed with the flight or the caliber of pilot you're flying with. Please see the video at:

4  Thank tikipirate53

Reviewed November 30, 2010

My wife and I took turns going up in 2 seat gliders - the first time for us mid-50's (ok, maybe I no longer qualify for mid-50's) terrified of heights people. The flights were AWESOME!
I went first so I couldn't chicken out after my wife went up. We elected the 3000 ft.altitude flight (2000 and 1 mile were also available). It was a beautiful, partly cloudy day before Thanksgiving.
You sit in the very front of a long skinny plane, with the pilot directly behind you. At first, it's a little claustrophobic and hot. Your plexiglass canopy is like a fighter plane's - your field of vision is just terrific. You're hooked to a tow plane, which takes about 5 minutes to get you up to 3000 feet. There's an air vent on your right and a little window on your left which eliminate the heat right away once you get going. You have gauges in front of you just like the pilot, which tell you air speed, altitude, and whether you're climbing or descending. The glider pilot explains all the gauges and how he will look for thermals (just like the birds!) to climb and fend off gravity. The takeoff is very quick - because of the weight difference, you leave the ground before the tow plane. I was a bit apprehensive by now, but we had told both pilots we had height issues. They were quite solicitous throughout, and told us if we couldn't deal with the experience, they could get us back down quickly. The glider pilot explained what would happen when the tow rope was released, so I wasn't scared when it happened. We soon lost our fear (my wife more quickly than I). After release, the pilot found a thermal, and we soared to 3200 in just a minute or 2. The views were just spectacular! We were flying over the Everglades. Depending on where the pilot pointed us, I could see Miami, Biscayne Bay, Florida Bay, the beginning of the Keys. We dropped down to 2900 for a while and just cruised around. Then the pilot found another thermal and hopped back up to 3100 feet. He told me we were going up to scrape the bottom of a cloud. As we neared it, I looked at the gauge and saw we had gone up to 3600 feet within 2 minutes. Just amazing! He then said, "If you stick your hand out the window, you can say you touched a cloud." So of course I did! The descent was a little scary at first, because you drop very quickly and the wind noise gets louder. Again, the pilot explains exactly what's going on, and shows you how he's using the wings' air brakes to slow our speed. The descent to and landing on a grass field is just the coolest thing! My wife had pretty much the same experience, except she asked the pilot if he could do a trick, so he did a "wing over" - 1 wing pointed down, 1 up, followed by a u-turn. I was up for about 40 minutes, her about 30. All in all, this was the most unique and one of the most spectacular experiences of our lifetimes. If you go, take a video camera.
The glider guys operate out of Homestead General Aviation Airport, about 20 miles southwest of Miami.

18  Thank Ternstyle1952