“Obviously Pork, But Not BBQ”
Review of Shiver's Bar-B-Q

Shiver's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #3 of 173 Restaurants in Homestead
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Shiver's BBQ is a family-owned and operated restaurant in Homestead, Fl. It has been serving authentic hickory smoked barbecue for over 50 years! Family generations have grown up eating here. Shiver's specializes in slow smoked meats such as baby back ribs, pork spare ribs, beef ribs, chicken, beef brisket, pork, and more. Many items, such as the pulled pork, have been smoked for 12 hours or more! This process ensures that each bite will be tasty and tender all the way through.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been told Shiver's survived Huricane Andrew, I'm not sure that was a blessing. The evening I was there, the so-called "pulled pork" resembled "shredded pig skin" and neither of their 4 sauces enhance the non-existant flavor. The ribs were over-cooked consistant with leather.
The onion rings were almost void of onion and required several paper towels to asorb the cooking oil. The french fries defied description, being very dry and requiring a spoon to eat. I've lived from Virginia to Texas and never experienced pork disguised as BBQ like this before. If given a choice between this and a C-Rations Can of "Ham & Lima Beans, I would grudgingly eat the C-Rations. Those who proclaim this as great, obiviously have never left Homestead. Suggestion, try the competion.

1  Thank Dennis D
Michael C, Owner at Shiver's Bar-B-Q, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hi Dennis!

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience here at Shiver's. We are a mom and pop operation with great employees and great barbecue. We take every positive and negative response very seriously. If a problem or issue every arises, we hope that the customer will let their server or manager know so we may correct the problem. It seems as if you were not satisfied with anything that evening which would lead me to think that you definitely would have brought attention to it. Regardless, we again apologize for your experience, and as you can see, we have many, many satisfied customers (returning and otherwise) that have left positive reviews here and on Yelp!(mostly from outside of Homestead). Your profile does not say where you are from, but if you every happen to come this way, let me know so we can make your experience better.

Regards,

Michael

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Shivers BBQ has been in business for more than 50 years! Imagine! And now I know why. My husband had a hankering for Texas Barbecue, and we drove from Coconut Grove down to Homestead last night. He ordered the Short Ribs. In my lifetime (octagenarian) I have never seen such a portion. Unbelievable. He could only eat about 1/4th of the food. He said it was delicious and I tasted it and agreed. And the price was not to be believed. Only $18.99 (the most expensive on the menu, but worth it for sure). I had the brisket and it, too, was a huge meal. The side of Cornbread Souffle was so good that I purchased an additional side to take home to a neighbor. The Cole Slaw was also good. Although it was Memorial Day and the restaurant was almost full to capacity, our service was fine. My husband had the peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream and it, too, was a huge serving. He said it was perfect. Unfortunately they had just served their last order of Banana Pudding, so guess we'll have to go back for that. I would say that this is the best place to get the most delicious food at the lowest price if you like Barbecue. It's clean, food is great, prices are economical, what more can you ask for? It is a fun place to go!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Easy to find. You don't have private tables or booths. You sit at a long table with other patrons which is not very private. We enjoyed the food and found it quite tasty actually. We found the service a bit poor though. When asked for refills on drinks (when not just brought of offered) felt like we were bothering them or inconveniencing them. The food was good but overall it didn't set our hearts on fire.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Shivers was recommended to us by our motel, and we were all glad it was. Good atomsphere, lovely friendly staff and great food. There were 4 our us in our party, we arrived about 8pm, they were busy but we managed to get seated, we chose the pulled pork, mixed ribs and chicken and all shared, everything was lovely, the ribs just fell of the bone, service was good and waitress was lovely, even took a photo of us all together, which is always nice when you are on holiday. We all enjoyed our meal and thought it was good value.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Between my wife and I we were able to taste their ribs, chicken and pulled pork. Tasty sauces. Pulled pork was the tastiest in terms of BBQ flavour, but it was all very good!!
We arrived in the mid-afternoon so had great service.

1  Thank principledtraveller

Been to Shiver's Bar-B-Q? Share your experiences!