Either you are passing by or staying to visitor students at Lamar University. This might be the best of the three Hilton properties in the area. Homewood Suite, Garden Inn, and Hampton Inn are all Hilton properties are next door to each other, but for the value and service Garden Inn was perfect. If you need a bedroom with close door and separated living area, then Homewood suite is for you for higher rates. Hilton Garden Inn some room also have a living area with sofabed together in an open space(avg rates). Hampton Inn is smaller different service and lowest rate of the three. This is our 3rd time here.
Upon arrival, You are welcome with its open and bright lobby area. The breakfast area is to your right and wait/lobby with TV on your left. The kids enjoy hanging out here and watching their Nickkids. Check in was quick and easy, they have two elevator to take us to room on the third floor. As you know some smaller hotel elevator most of the time pretty bad (stained carpet, slow service, and/or smelly) But not here, it was clean, quick and we never had to wait for more than 10 sec.
- Room was very clean, well equipped (mini frig, microwave, coffeepot, etc)
- Pool area is outdoor, avg size for these hotel.
- Gym area just enough equipment for most of your workout, but water bottle was not working during our stay. But front desk give us water bottle during our stay, which helped out
- Breakfast: On weekend are from 7am –noon, (yup to noon) so you can sleep in a bit then come down. They service your normal hotel cold breakfasts which are free. For the Hot dish (bacon, waffle, French toast, eggs, etc) those are 9.99 but worth the price since it is all you can eat. AND they are made to order.
- Front desk staff and throughout was very nice and helpful. We did request late check out to explore the area more, and it wasn’t a problem.
Next to location there have an Italian restaurant, Cheddar restaurant, Movie theater, Pappas seafood, and few gas station.
Tips: to get access to I-10 east.(shorter), turn left to go thru the Candlewood suite Hotel, and movie theater and exit out to get access right to I-10. This is better then leaving the hotel and looping around to access the freeway
- Freeway access
- Small pool