“Cheap, clean, great staff and no bed bugs”

The Oaks Lodge & Suites
The Oaks Lodge & Suites
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Beaumont
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Crashed here for the night while on a cross country road trip. We chose it because 1) the manager had responded to negative comments here with an apology and his plan to address complaints 2) it was cheap and near the 10 Freeway.

It turned out to be a great choice. We got a room for just about $59 with the AAA discount. The manager and the woman at the front desk were very friendly and had our reservation ready and waiting when we arrived. It was a warm welcome and we felt very well taken care of. They let us park the giant U-Haul in a good spot even though it took up 3 parking spaces. The room was spotless although it was (of course) a little worse for the wear but no worse than expected. The only downside was the thin walls but with a pair of ear plugs it was no problem. All in all a good choice!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Oaks Lodge & Suites

Reviewed May 5, 2012

My room was very clean and I had no problems with bed bugs. The location is right on I-10 so it was perfect for a stopover. It was also very close to College St., where I had to go for some repairs on my car the next morning.

The staff was very, very friendly. I did a name my own price kind of deal and got my room after tax for $53, which included some breakfast and internet. I could hear some interstate noise from my room but I just turned on the fan and ta-da! Noise gone. The extra security lock was broken off my door, but I didn't feel unsafe. It was my first time at a Howard Johnson, so I don't know how they all are, but this one did have a little swimming pool and my bed was pretty darn comfortable. For as reasonable as the price was I think it was a good value and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank TennesseeGypsy
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed there for a week and the people we nice. There were prostitutes staying there the first night but were asked to leave by management GREAT! There are people there from off shore, cooking out and drinking beer there every night. And finally I had bed bugs on my last night stay all over me when I woke up. BED BUGS

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Hojo14361, Owner at The Oaks Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

In the last week, another guest, from another hotel, brought this problem to our rooms. I'm sorry you where effected by it. As soon as we learned of the issue, we immediately addressed it. We had to shut down and rigorously treat two rooms. Daily, we are testing for the presence of this pest, but the rooms will remain closed for at least for month. Our hotel is a nice, small 42 room hotel, in a nice neighborhood, and our large housekeeping staff is diligently inspecting and expertly cleaning it as always. Our duty is to provide you a clean, convenient, and safe place to sleep and rest, and we take that direction very seriously.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Likes: Outstanding price (62 w/tax), fabulous staff, great shower pressure, great internet speed, microwave, fridge with freezer, everything worked fine. Free breakfast was good too. Dislikes: Nothing! The only thing I'd do to improve, and it wasn't important to me but it was to my wife, would be to put bigger pillows on the bed. Staff gave me three extra pillows and we slept like logs. The night person checking us in and the day person were both extremely helpful and personable. I may have stayed at HoJo once in my life long ago, didn't have any particular thoughts about it. Due to my experience here, I'll be looking to stay at HoJo in the future. This place does it how it should be done!

Room Tip: Unless you want to pay extra for their hot tub suite, all the rooms seem to be about the same.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James H
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed overnight at this location when passing through and found the rooms large, spacious, and clean. The desk staff was knowledgable and helpful and the hotel is pet friendly. I will stay again soon

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mike220us
Reviewed March 14, 2011

The location was perfect for my job site but I would never stay in this motel again. It just feels nasty. The carpet has obviously never been cleaned. After 2 hours of hanging out in my room with socks on, the bottoms were beyond filthy. The bathroom was clean enough as were the room surfaces. All the furniture in the room is broken or torn up in some way-torn upholstery, desk broken, night stand had a big chunk taken out of it. The remote had a folded piece of paper and tape holding in the batteries in. The freezer part of the fridge had much ice built up, I couldn't really get anything else in there. Bottom line: the location is terrible and the hotel is not kept up in any way.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Arrived after dark in Beaumont and decided to find somewhere cheap for the night after a long day on the road. After looking at a few options, we settled on the HJ as it had the best looking lobby and breakfast room. Turned out to be a good choice and had a good night here. Although right on the interstate, we weren't unduly bothered by noise. The manager couldn't do enough for us, even giving me detergent for the washing machine when the dispenser failed. Bed was comfy, room was large and tidy and shower hot and strong. Had problems connecting wirelessly to the free Internet but no problems when we borrowed a cable from reception. Breakfast was just average - no waffle mix, coffee luke warm and orange juice empty but to be fair it was close to 0930 when b'fast finished. Overall, the HJ is probably one of the better economy hotels in Beaumont and is recommended if you don't want to spend too much.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple