Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing tour of the Big Cypress swamp

We stayed in the swamp cottage on grounds of the Clyde Butcher gallery. We literally walked out... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
htbyrn
Saint Louis, Missouri
via mobile
Great Tour of the Everglades

Reviewed May 9, 2019
CarolCats
Lockport, Illinois

All reviews big cypress flora and fauna walking stick edible plants animal tracks worthwhile visit cypress trees highly recommend this experience art gallery love nature an adventure beautiful walk learning experience our tour guide his knowledge randolph prairie
Selected filters
Reviewed May 9, 2019

My husband and I walked with Scott, our guide, through the most fantastic area of the Big Cypress Preserve. We learned so must about the trees, animals, and plants since we knew nothing about the environment of this area before this vacation. The time spent walking the trails on both dry land and through water was well worth our morning. I highly recommend this learning experience.

Date of experience: April 2019
clydebutcher, Trish Just Trish at Clyde Butcher Everglades Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words. With Clyde & Niki leading the way it's a pleasure to be a steward of the Big Cypress swamp. Think about staying with us on your next visit. We offer a two bedroom two bath home as well as a one bedroom one bath home check out clyde butcher.com . Happy Swamping

Reviewed April 20, 2019

Walking through the everglades with Scott in the quiet of a cool Spring morning we were struck by the intrinsic beauty, peace and calm of a Florida one rarely glimpses. Both Scott's expertise and his obvious passion for the swamp inform the tour with a reverence for the ecosystem that gets overshadowed by Florida's campy flamingo crazed tourist trade. I can't imagine a more unusual experience and one that will resonate with us long after the vacation.

Date of experience: April 2019
clydebutcher, Gallery Staff at Clyde Butcher Everglades Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your swamp walk with our wonderful guide Scott. We hope you can visit us again, maybe spend a couple nights with us.

Reviewed April 12, 2019 via mobile

Today my husband and I had an amazing experience on our photography safari with Scott at Clyde Butcher’s gallery in Big Cypress Preserve. We learned so much about the very fragile BCP ecosystem and how it is constantly adapting to changing conditions. Scott is a walking (or wading) encyclopedia of the flora and fauna in the area. He pointed out so many beautiful and unique indigenous plants as we waded carefully through the swamp. The freshwater trail was as clear as spring water except for the mud we stirred up. He even showed us plants used by the Native Americans to repel fleas! He also shared the history of the area including the fact that in the 1960’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas was one of the activists who succeeded in stopping the construction of a new Miami International Airport in the Big Cypress area even after construction had begun! The biggest treat was seeing and experiencing the beautiful areas of the Preserve photographed by Clyde Butcher. I’ve lived in Florida most of my life but have never visited or appreciated the natural beauty of Big Cypress Preserve. We plan to return to the swamp when the orchids are in bloom and the water is higher. We can’t thank Scott enough for taking us on this unforgettable journey.

Date of experience: April 2019

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We hope you can come back and visit us again!

Reviewed April 8, 2019

We had been to the everglades once before but decided this time that we needed to immerse ourselves in it a little deeper. Decided to stay at the Clyde Butcher cottage and book a swamp tour.

Ok, I admit that we were more than a little bummed that due to a dry rainy season and political water policies, there was not going to be a swamp walk (as it was dry) but we would do a prairie walk instead. This was communicated to us by the carekeeper and our guide for the walk - Trish. She asked if we still wanted to do it. We are gardeners & nature lovers and a big thing for us when we travel is checking out what grows in different places and learning about growing practices. Of course - let's do it!

Trish was so incredibly knowledgeable and patient with all of our questions. I'm sure we stayed out walking longer than the tour would have been but we had become such good friends by that time. She pointed out many things to us that we would have just walked by like some edible plants and some orchids. Also was able to look at some of the animal tracks and talk about them.

Others have commented on the cost which does seem high. However, it is so worth it! You are going to be in a small group, take your time, learn quite a bit and come out with a huge respect for nature and yourself as part of it. Not to be missed.

Staying at the cottage was wonderful. During the days, we would walk around the property and explore on our on. In front or our cottage was Whilen's pond which was pretty small because of the water - but still had one momma and some baby gators in it (momma would hide babies in mud). Birds would come in the early morning and evening to eat fishes - egrets, herons, In addition to Trish, we met Scott (him and his wife maintain the land there). Scott is very knowledgeable on native herbs & veggies as well and we learned from him as well. Trish & Scott came to find me one day to show me a snake that they found (they know my love for snakes).

In summary, the place is beautiful but what sets it apart is the love from the people taking care of it - something we will not soon forget. (right? I'm writing this review almost a year later).

Date of experience: May 2018
clydebutcher, Gallery Staff at Clyde Butcher Everglades Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2019

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with our wonderful staff. Be sure to come back and see us again!

Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

My 73 year old mother, 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter and I had a fantastic time yesterday on the Swamp Walk. My daughter was a little nervous about getting wet, but the water was clear and refreshing. It came up to her waist at the deepest point, and she loved it. Our tour guide Scott was fun and informative. I highly recommend the Swamp Walk.

Date of experience: March 2019
clydebutcher, Gallery Staff at Clyde Butcher Everglades Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2019

Thank you for that wonderful review! Clyde's mission has been to connect people with these remarkable wetlands in a hope that they will, in one way or another, be a part of it's preservation. Getting children out in the swamp will influence future generations to consider wilderness a thing to be cherished.