“Poorly marked at the top”
Review of Emory Peak

Emory Peak
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest peak in the park at 7,835 feet.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a nice trail. It had nice views and it was a good workout. However, the trail was poorly marked toward the top. I was just below the peak, but I'm sure there should have been a way to get to the peak. It's disappointing to have missed out on that after hiking for several hours.

1  Thank Jason B
"day hike"
"hiking boots"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I am 51 years old and have not worked out for about a year, however my 14 year old son and I took the hike to get closer to God and that I may share him insights on being a man.

I ate a big breakfast and felt great for about the first 1/2 mile, the remainder of the hike was all in God's hands. I stopped frequently to pray and listen to the great earth He created. It was fun to watch as the other peaks became lower than us as we climbed the peak. There are stairs made of rocks, dirt trails, rocky trails and the final summit. The last 1/2 mile was not as clearly marked as the rest of the trail as it was near the top of the peak and over rocks and such.

The peak.... I was scared, not afraid to say it, but my son climbed it with ease, so I had to man it up and it was well worth the little vertical climb, about 25 feet. Standing upon the peak and seeing everything for miles was awesome. My son descended to the base of the summit and did a Bible study and shared some great talk. This was a beautiful day!

Take plenty of water and I found salty and sweet trail mix was helpful. Bring God's word and do a little reading and praying while near the top, enjoy the silence.

4  Thank fireantstx
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I loved this hike that was easy on the knees and pleasing to the eye, but the last twenty feet left me stuck. I got a sudden case of vertigo and didn't climb the very last part.
My boyfriend went up, but admitted being so scared that he couldn't even tell me what the view was like from up there. The top platform is about twenty square feet... not much elbow room if you're insecure at great heights.

2  Thank rvrrambler
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This trail starts out fairly simple but turns pretty strenuous. The second half of the trail is like climbing stairs...bring water. When you get to the top, the trail goes away and you have to climb up large rocks and boulders. There are two massive pinnacles at the top...the right side is the summit. To get up to the top of the pinnacle, go all the way to the right side and there is a large crevice that makes it possible to climb up to the summit.

The view at the top is amazing and well worth the climb!

1  Thank Clint T